Savage
    Religion
    dem boobiez
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,088
    Given: 3,785

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
    Well what inherent value does existence have, that makes prolonged existence the meaning of life?
    When you throw a rock into water, what existential meaning circular waves created by splash on water surface have? Everything around us, the whole universe, the entire existence is nothing but waves left from The Big Bang. The meaning of it all depends on one question: was it (The Big Bang) random spontaneous physical event or was it His will to do so? In first case there is no meaning, we're just long lasting consequence of some massive but totally random physical phenomena. In second case the meaning is defined by His will and there are numerous schools that dedicated centuries to research this matter. Pick the one you favor.

Banned
    Last Online
    12-17-2017 @ 02:50 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Euro-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Ashkenazi Jewish
    Ancestry
    Austria and Poland, stemming originally from the Rhineland, and ultimately the Levant
    Country
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    N1b2
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Armenoid
    Politics
    Paleolibertarianism
    Hero
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    Religion
    Spinozism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,508
    Given: 1,329

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    When you throw a rock into water, what existential meaning circular waves created by splash on water surface have? Everything around us, the whole universe, the entire existence is nothing but waves left from The Big Bang. The meaning of it all depends on one question: was it (The Big Bang) random spontaneous physical event or was it His will to do so? In first case there is no meaning, we're just long lasting consequence of some massive but totally random physical phenomena. In second case the meaning is defined by His will and there are numerous schools that dedicated centuries to research this matter. Pick the one you favor.
    I agree but this is metaphysics, not physics. We are, and not with hippy logic, genuinely on a different plane of reality to that rock. I agree there is no meaning whatsoever in the physical world (I'm an atheist, how could I believe that unless I'm an idiot), but metaphysics is a different ballgame. While in the physical Universe, outside all experience and consciousness, there is nothing of value at all, in the metaphysical Universe that exists within each and every one of our skulls, things DO have value (to take the hedonistic approach of utility, positive experience has value - there are other approaches though).

So yeah, your way of looking at things isn't entirely relevant to the meaning of life, as we're beings of consciousness (again, not in a hippy way - but it IS true) not rocks.

Last Online
    06-11-2020 @ 12:05 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sarmatian
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Wild Steppe
    Taxonomy
    Archaic Übermensch
    Politics
    Savage
    Religion
    dem boobiez
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I agree but this is metaphysics, not physics. We are, and not with hippy logic, genuinely on a different plane of reality to that rock. I agree there is no meaning whatsoever in the physical world (I'm an atheist, how could I believe that unless I'm an idiot), but metaphysics is a different ballgame. While in the physical Universe, outside all experience and consciousness, there is nothing of value at all, in the metaphysical Universe that exists within each and every one of our skulls, things DO have value (to take the hedonistic approach of utility, positive experience has value - there are other approaches though).

So yeah, your way of looking at things isn't entirely relevant to the meaning of life, as we're beings of consciousness (again, not in a hippy way - but it IS true) not rocks.
    What makes you think we're on a different plane of reality to that rock? What is that different plane?

What makes you think rocks have no consciousness?

What makes you think you're any different in your value from a rock from existential perspective?

Banned
    Last Online
    12-17-2017 @ 02:50 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Euro-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Ashkenazi Jewish
    Ancestry
    Austria and Poland, stemming originally from the Rhineland, and ultimately the Levant
    Country
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    N1b2
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Armenoid
    Politics
    Paleolibertarianism
    Hero
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    Religion
    Spinozism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,508
    Given: 1,329

1 Not allowed!

What makes you think we're on a different plane of reality to that rock? What is that different plane?

What makes you think rocks have no consciousness?

What makes you think you're any different in your value from a rock from existential perspective?
    Well I mean it was just an assumption that rocks don't have consciousness, as they have no known mechanisms for thought or sensory data collection (the only two things that make up human consciousness, at least).

As for why I think we're on a different plane of reality - that comes between the distinction of the noumenon and the phenomenon (the noumenon is basically cold hard reality, as it exists independent of observation - there is no colour red, only light of 700nm wavelength; the phenomenon is the artificial reality created inside your skull with the noumenon as its base - the colour red, rather than 700nm wavelength light).

No Retreat No Surrender
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 01:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Chelovek Mira
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    Washington
    Taxonomy
    black, muscular, and zero gay, 100kg bench, BBC
    Politics
    Third Position
    Hero
    Der Volkskanzler
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57,939
    Given: 58,640

0 Not allowed!

There is none.
    this. but l like to believe there is a God and a higher plann.
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]
    I like thinking big. If you're going to be thinking anything, you might as well think big. Donald Trump
    Wir wollen endlich den Volkskanzler, schnauze voll von den Einheitsparteien

Last Online
    06-11-2020 @ 12:05 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sarmatian
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Wild Steppe
    Taxonomy
    Archaic Übermensch
    Politics
    Savage
    Religion
    dem boobiez
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Well I mean it was just an assumption that rocks don't have consciousness, as they have no known mechanisms for thought or sensory data collection (the only two things that make up human consciousness, at least).

As for why I think we're on a different plane of reality - that comes between the distinction of the noumenon and the phenomenon (the noumenon is basically cold hard reality, as it exists independent of observation - there is no colour red, only light of 700nm wavelength; the phenomenon is the artificial reality created inside your skull with the noumenon as its base - the colour red, rather than 700nm wavelength light).
    The main element of consciousness is awareness. We are aware of our thoughts, we are aware of sensory data, most importantly we are aware of our existence. Would you argue rocks are unaware of their own existence just because none of humans had ever registered any sign of their awareness?

Does our existence on a different plane of reality makes us any more valuable in existential perspective?

Banned
    Last Online
    06-05-2021 @ 05:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Boolgar
    Country
    European Union
    Y-DNA
    I2a1a2b (I-L621)
    mtDNA
    H3
    Taxonomy
    Paleo Atlantid (actually Dinarid + Westbaltid parents)
    Hero
    Database error
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,773
    Given: 1,799

0 Not allowed!

You start running and you get as far as you can get becoming the best possible version of yourself.

I say to hell with all the littlepeople-isms and minimalism.You only get to live once so why not shoot for the stars.

Last Online
    05-26-2023 @ 09:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    Britannic
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,797
    Given: 5,979

0 Not allowed!

Well what inherent value does existence have, that makes prolonged existence the meaning of life?
    If you are happy, or at least quite hopeful of being happy in future, then that is the ultimate meaning since the purpose of the individual is to be happy. But a second condition is that you must believe that you will live forever in some way (and be happy at least some of the time in the future).

Banned
    Last Online
    08-13-2018 @ 01:53 PM
    Ethnicity
    Gheg Albanian
    Country
    Albania
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H7
    Politics
    Truth
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,997
    Given: 6,001

2 Not allowed!

To Rock N Roll. But Many People Have Different Opinion. Who Am I To Judge. What I Dont Like They Like And What I Dont Like They Like Its All The Same Anyway LoL.

Banned
    Last Online
    12-29-2017 @ 04:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    Kosovar
    Y-DNA
    J2B2
    Hero
    COMOƆ
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 937
    Given: 1,086

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Linebacker View Post
    You start running and you get as far as you can get becoming the best possible version of yourself.

I say to hell with all the littlepeople-isms and minimalism.You only get to live once so why not shoot for the stars.
    U Can B Anything Dude. Jus Work Hard N Belief In Urself.
    See That Star There? You're Can Reach It With Hard Work!!

LoL.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information