H
    Politics
    oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,431
    Given: 241

0 Not allowed!

Default Much of Britain paralysed by snowfall

'Get a grip, UK!': Britain buckles under just six inches of snow with 50,000 passengers stranded by cancelled flights, 4,500 homes without power, 2,300 schools shut and dozens of gridlocked roads

Much of Britain has been paralysed in the last 24 hours following the first serious snowfall of winter. Cars have been abandoned and motorists left stranded as some suffered crashes on the roads - while thousands spent the night at Heathrow, Birmingham, Stansted and Luton airports after flights were delayed or cancelled. DailyMail.com US Editor-at-Large Piers Morgan said: 'Can we get a grip when it snows a bit?' Pictured: A snowy road in Hastings, East Sussex (top), passengers sleep at London Heathrow Airport (bottom left), a plough clears snow at a school in Wrexham, North Wales (bottom right), and people react to the snow on Twitter

Britain is suffering a chaotic 'Black Monday' today with more snow due and swathes of treacherous ice on the roads as temperatures dropped to -12C overnight.

Much of the country has been paralysed in the last 24 hours following the first serious snowfall of winter - and today more than 2,000 schools are closed and at least 4,500 homes remain without power.

Cars have been abandoned and motorists left stranded as some suffered crashes on the roads - while thousands spent the night at Heathrow, Birmingham, Stansted and Luton airports after flights were delayed or cancelled.

Some 50,000 British Airways passengers are stranded - 30,000 in the UK and 20,000 in Europe - after a bitingly cold night which saw temperatures fall to -12.2C (10F) in the aptly-named Chillingham Barns, Northumberland.

National Rail said poor weather is affecting travel. Chiltern Railways, CrossCountry, Great Western, and Virgin Trains have all been hit, while East Midlands Trains customers are being advised to check their trains are running.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz50xZqSquh

Last Online
    03-02-2024 @ 11:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Homo neogrecous
    Ethnicity
    Yes
    Country
    Japan
    Region
    Acadia
    mtDNA
    H
    Politics
    oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,431
    Given: 241

1 Not allowed!

'We're breeding a generation of wimps': Parents' fury as THOUSANDS of schools are closed because 'not enough teachers can make it in' through snow

Parents' fury as thousands of schools are closed over snow

In Wales (pictured today) around 500 schools are closed, 400 will not open today in Birmingham and approximately 300 are shut in both Staffordshire and Gloucestershire. Critics branded the closures 'ridiculous' and said headteachers were 'too quick' to close their doors to pupils in bad weather. Many parents have expressed their disbelief because their local schools have been closed because of snow - even though they haven't got any. Howard Webster wrote: 'I can't ever remember a time when my school was closed because of the weather: We're breeding a generation of wimps governed by a generation scared s***less by health and safety legislation'. Frank Crisp tweeted: 'Staggered to see local schools closed because of snow just seen the woman across the road who is in her 80s walking back from the paper shop and kids can't even walk to school'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ls-closed.html

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-09-2019 @ 01:55 AM
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Dinarid-Atlantid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,248
    Given: 4,031

0 Not allowed!

Britain is an island,, Islands rarely get snow,, Ireland even has Palm trees on the coast due to the jet stream it usually keep the British Isles relatively warm.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Dinarid-Atlantid
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Ireland Palm Trees.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Dinarid-Atlantid
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Palm trees in Switzerland:

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    03-07-2022 @ 06:30 PM
    Ethnicity
    North Swedish
    Country
    Sweden
    Region
    Norrland
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP609
    mtDNA
    V
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,049
    Given: 936

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by wvwvw View Post

Must be a south or central Swede. I can't imagine the schools I went to in northern Sweden close because of the weather. Neither because of extreme snowstorms (lake effect) or temperatures around -40 degrees.

Слава Путину! Я люблю Россию. Z
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 06:18 PM
    From Dorset, but live in the City of Westminster (Central London)
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    English, 1/8 Welsh, 1/16 Western Irish.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,549
    Given: 27,895

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSmith View Post
    Britain is an island,, Islands rarely get snow,, Ireland even has Palm trees on the coast due to the jet stream it usually keep the British Isles relatively warm.
    I don't feel warm... this isn't Florida, Spain, Australia, California... etc

We usually get some snow each year in Great Britain.

British people love discussing the weather, (the weather is a bit of an obsession amongst British people and it's often a conversation-opener in the UK,) and we often complain about the British weather a lot.

I'm currently indoors with a cold bug, the gas heating on, the thermostat turned-up high, but with draughts blowing in and heat escape problems through my old Victorian thin windows that rattle a lot in the wind. They can't be changed into thick double-glazed windows like a lot of modern British houses have, as I live in an old Victorian house apartment conversion, and they're old and delicate sash-cord windows. And the high ceilings are difficult to heat the full room properly with just a single radiatior in each room and a small gas fire.... and my fingers feel like ice at the moment and I'm shivering through my shoulders.

Some people gasp and shiver if I touch them with my icy-cold fingers and they hate it when I put my icy hands onto them. My gas heating bills are high each year, and a lot of British people have the same heating debt problems. For over a year now, British Gas direct debits costs me £108/month for heating costs... and that's not including the added electricity costs - just the gas.

Some nights I struggle to get to sleep due to feeling cold, even underneath a double duvet and fleece blankets.

It snowed in London the other day and was in the minus temperatures like last year. I've seen sunny spring days, and then sudden snowfall in April a few years ago in London.

I've met Swedish people shivering in the British weather in cold and grey London, and they said to me that Britain has a 'damp type of cold which goes through the bones,' whereas Sweden has a dry type of cold.

Dangerous invisible black ice on the very slippery roads and rails and pavements is what kills people in the British Isles each year. You can't always see thin sheets of black ice. At least people can see snow.

Once the Moscow ballet company arrived in London and a news report showed they were shocked to find the weather here was actually colder than the recorded temperature in Moscow on the same day of their travel and arrival.

Temperatures have been as low as -13 degrees in some parts of Western England recently.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/511911...recast-latest/

Hundreds of schools closed across the UK due to the cold weather and due to the road and pavement conditions, etc, and each year the UK comes to a standstill at some point with closed airports, closed rail services, closed schools, closed public transport, closed roads, etc, due to the 'unsafe and adverse' and 'severe' weather warning conditions in Winter.

I always find it a bit annoying, but also amusing seeing the reactions of tourists and visitors to the British precautionary attitude to the weather here.

Percentage wise, more people in the UK statisically die from hypothermia, and from sudden weather changes, and freezing-cold weather conditions each year, than in Scandinavian nations.

Soaring high gas prices to heat your home are also expensive and it's a continual problem for many people in the cold UK, who die each year from the cold weather in Britain as they struggle to afford to heat their homes. The extremely rich big gas companies who overcharge people to heat their homes are making a monopoly though.

Birds and wildlife also struggle to survive in the winters here, but kind people help to feed them each winter.

Accidents in the UK happen each year from dangerous invisible black ice on the roads and pavements.

My hands often feel 'like ice' according to people who touch my fingers or shake my hands in greetings.... even in summer, my hands often feel icy-cold. I've been like that eversince childhood and my own kids are the same... very cold fingers and hands a lot.

I was wrapped-up in warm clothing at London's Winter Wonderland last week, (I wore a thermal vest, thermal tights, thermal heat socks, padded woolen gloves, a cashmere scarf, a woolen coat, ear-muffs, a hat, a lambswool roll-neck jumper, and a few base layers underneath).... and I was still shivering a lot and my fingers hurt and felt very painful and went purplish-blue from feeling so numb from the freezing cold.

It's the same horrible experience and feeling for me each winter;- numb fingers and toes, shivering, and painful limbs from feeling cold, although I often feel cold and shivery most of the year, except for the summer. I do a lot of walking each day, but have lower-than-normal blood pressure.

There was about 70,000 people there when we went last week and 3 million people visit the Winter Wonderland and Magical Ice Kingdom each year during the 6 weeks that it stays open, and every year I've noticed that it feels very cold there. I noticed thousands of people were wearing thick coats, hats, scarves, gloves, etc. An Austrian female I was with at the Winter Wonderland was also wrapped up in warm clothing, but she said to me that she wished she had warmer clothing on her feet as she said they felt cold.

It's out in the open park with lots of wind breeze created from the fairground rides, which adds to the coldness during the evenings there.

I don't consider the British Isles as feeling 'warm' as I often feel cold, and my hands currently feel like ice, and my heating bills are always high, and I've got another cold bug at the moment.

Each year, thousands of British people emmigrate to live in Australia, California and Florida in the US, Spain, and the South of France, etc, for the much sunnier and warmer weather.

Oh, btw, there's palm trees in my original hometown of Bournemouth on the south-coast of south-west England.... but it snows there too and there's outdoor ice-skating rinks too, like in London during the Winter.

The sea is usually very cold water, and the Winter always feels much colder by the open air and windy coasts, than being more inland.

Here's some photos from Bournemouth (where I was born and mostly raised, and where most of my ancestors lived, and where most of my relatives still live.)

Summer season and palm trees from my original hometown

Despite B'm'th receiving more sunshine hours and statisically having happier people than the rest of Britain in nationwide surveys, it still rains throughout the summer, and it's often cloudy in the sky, and the English Channel sea is usually cold to swim in.

Skip to 0:57 in the short video report by an American man who stayed in Bournemouth on the south coast of England for several months. He said he had to take vitamin D capsules due to the lack of sunlight and cloudy weather. People in the UK often suffer from S.A.D. (Seasonal Activity Disorder, aka 'wintertime blues') and seasonal depression, caused from a lack of sunlight and low serotonin levels in the brain, which is treated with SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor antidepressants) and/or medically-prescribed UV light-therapy box treatment that are placed into the home. (No surprise that there's more pale-skinned goths in Northern European nations who culturally relate to dark and atmospheric and depressive music.)

I think the cloudy weather and lowland altitude from the sun is what makes British and Irish people a lot paler and more prone to sun-burning than most other Europeans.

Annual summer heatwaves in August usually last for about 2 weeks, and it's extremely uncomfortable and too hot for people and we have problems with severe sunburn if people don't wear high SPF sun-protection from the dangerous sun-rays. Anyway, the sunny days and summers we get in the British Isles are often short-lived. The weather frequently changes into clouds and rain. My favourite type of weather is when it's warm in temperature, but not sunny, and when it's warmly raining.

Other European people from Croatia and Bulgaria I spoke with in cafes in London said that the sky often looks sickly, pale, and full of clouds in the British Isles, and they asked why the sky is always cloudy, and they also complained about the British summer seawater being cold. So it's not just British people who notice it.

We don't get much of a summer. A lot of rain each year, and not much sun, due to the often-unclear and cloudy skies.

Skies here are often a silver-grey colour, cloudy, and rainy here, especially during the Autumn and Winter seasons ... in London and across the south of England too, and it's not only cold in the north of England and Scotland. The sun currently rises here in London just before 8am (GMT) and it gets dark like night by 4pm after the distant-looking sun has set before 4pm, as the Winter Solstice/Yule festival and the shortest day of the year is approaching in the northern hemisphere of the planet. Daylight hours is currently short and quite cold at the moment here.

This is the winter season in Bournemouth by the English south-west coast.

Snow on Bournemouth's blue-flag beaches and snow on the palm trees and in Bournemouth's Winter Gardens. B'm'th is further south, but I find London feels warmer than B'm'th by the cold windy sea and coast, due to the skyscrapers and tall inland buildings in LDN shielding off the effects of the winds, and due to all the warm electrical energy and street-lighting in heavily populated cities such as LDN.

Flooding problems from all the rainfall and rising sea waves in lowland Britain causes a lot of coastal erosion, landslides, and slippery falling rocks. We have lots of wave-breakers built along the coasts and out into the seas to help reduce the impact of the waves crashing against and eroding our crumbling coastlines away each year. Great Britain consists of over 6000 islands, many of which are just little chunks of rocks out at sea that were once attached to the mainland island.

Snow in Cornwall, SW Britain.

I saw a news report last night about a woman who ran into the freezing cold English Channel seawater in Brighton (on the south coast of England) to rescue her poor dog that was caught in the sea. The RNLI lifeguards and coastal guards said she was so lucky not to have been killed. It was caught on video-camera, and both the lady and her dog luckily survived the tidal waves in the freezing English sea. http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/12/woman-...d-sea-7153087/

UK police saved a dog in England the other night from nearly freezing to death. https://uk.news.yahoo.com/police-sav...114858276.html

It's even colder in the north of England and Scotland, and along the North Atlantic coast, the Celtic Sea, the Irish Sea, and the North Sea surrounding the British Isles. Everytime I've travelled to the north of England, I've felt the temperature drop during the journey and rise a bit on the return journey home. I remember shivering a lot one cold and rainy summer during a week I spent in Lancashire and I seriously regretted not packing some warmer cardies and thicker clothes in my suitcase, even though it was June.

Another time at my late partner's funeral in Manchester in mid December, I was shivering like crazy in the cold rain there, and my fingers, toes, and the tips of my ears and nose hurt so much in the cold weather there.

The Cornish Museum of Witchcraft in Boscastle suffered during the severe Cornish floods. The waves from the North Atlantic Ocean are very rough and choppy. The seawaters surrounding the British Isles aren't smooth, calm, and warm, like the Mediterranean sea... but cold, windy, and rough.

People across the English countryside like to stay wrapped-up warm by their log-fires and sipping on warm horlicks, warm teas, and they like to eat warming meals, like porridge oats and warm soups, inside their cosy and heavily thatched-roof cottages when the cold wind is howling and it's pouring with cold rain or snowing outside. They put their thick rubber wellies (wellington boots) on to walk their dogs through the slippery and muddy lanes across the rural areas.

I got absolutely drenched walking in the cold wet rain yesterday and I was shivering and soaking-wet through.

2:03

Tourists to the UK shouldn't get their hopes up if they're seeking clear blue skies, sun, and warm weather.
    Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 12-14-2017 at 01:24 PM.
    ❀♫ ღ ♬ ♪ And the angle of the sun changed it all. ❀¸.•*¨♥✿ 🎶

Last Online
    05-03-2018 @ 08:39 AM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Italian, Irish, British, European Jewish, and Danish
    Country
    Switzerland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 590

0 Not allowed!

6 inches (15 cm) is a decent amount of snow, most schools would close or at least have a delay (half-day school day) around here (Connecticut).

Слава Путину! Я люблю Россию. Z
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 06:18 PM
    From Dorset, but live in the City of Westminster (Central London)
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    English, 1/8 Welsh, 1/16 Western Irish.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,549
    Given: 27,895

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Fox View Post
    6 inches (15 cm) is a decent amount of snow, most schools would close or at least have a delay (half-day school day) around here (Connecticut).
    What about dangerous and very thin sheets of invisible black ice? Black ice is nearly impossible to see, can form almost anywhere on the road, and has the potential to send your vehicle into oncoming traffic. It’s bad news.

❀♫ ღ ♬ ♪ And the angle of the sun changed it all. ❀¸.•*¨♥✿ 🎶

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Wildling
    Ancestry
    Cumbria, Scotland, Northumberland, Shetland
    Country
    Scotland
    Y-DNA
    R-L21*
    mtDNA
    K1C2a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,704
    Given: 5,846

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSmith View Post
    Usually, yes you are correct but once in a while we get a good amount of snow that catches people off guard as in no cars have snow tires and in Scotland we get people dying in avalanches.

Also, humid/moist air at 1C with winter north winds is more difficult than -12C in dry air.
    Last edited by Graham; 12-14-2017 at 09:55 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information