Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What other Germanic tribes apart from Anglo Saxons came to England?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-29-2023 @ 03:20 PM
    Ethnicity
    Aryan
    Ancestry
    Steppe
    Country
    Russia
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    H1
    Taxonomy
    Corded
    Politics
    Esoteric
    Hero
    Those that fought for a better world (If you know, you know)
    Religion
    Natural
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,828
    Given: 9,772

0 Not allowed!

Default What other Germanic tribes apart from Anglo Saxons came to England?

I have never understood when people automatically assume that British people = Anglo Saxon. You can not be Anglo Saxon without having any blood or having the facial type from this tribe.
    Anglo Saxon to me means genetically and in classification terms 'Anglo Saxon type'.

What other traces of Germanic tribes are there in England? Is Anglo Saxon the only one?

Banned
    Last Online
    12-08-2018 @ 06:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    Oğuz / Turcoman
    Country
    Turkey
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,722
    Given: 1,300

2 Not allowed!

Jutes during 4th century. Some Vikings after the start of the Viking invasion around late 9th century. And some Norman elites from France after Hastings battle during the 11th century.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:44 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Aryan
    Ethnicity
    German & Romanian
    Ancestry
    Germanic, Slavic, Thracian
    Country
    Romania
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1b1a2b3
    Taxonomy
    European
    Politics
    conservative
    Hero
    Gunnar from Njall's Saga
    Religion
    atheist
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,519
    Given: 9,857

2 Not allowed!

Jutland was almost vacated by the immigration, so all Jutes, all Angles and lots of Saxons left for Britain.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    W6a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,924
    Given: 18,997

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by aherne View Post
    Jutland was almost vacated by the immigration, so all Jutes, all Angles and lots of Saxons left for Britain.
    Not all, modern Danes have some ancestry from those groups (39-49% depending on region of Denmark).

But modern Danish language originates from groups who came south from Sweden after Jutes emigrated.

Hatchling
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun-American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,935
    Given: 7,459

3 Not allowed!

The Angles and Saxons were the largest tribes that migrated to Britain, but the Frisians and Jutes also came in significant numbers. Other minor Germanic tribes from Northwest Europe also came, among those are the Franks, Batavians, Chauci, Menapii, Rugii, and so on. There were also some Slavs that migrated from Pomerania and Poland to Britain (with the Vikings and the initial Germanic settlers). Cnut the Great (Danish king) had a Polish mother. The Rugini from Pomerania were a tribe that sent migrants to Britain, though I don't know if they were Germanic or Slavic.
    Last edited by Mingle; 09-15-2018 at 03:09 AM.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:07 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    100% Northwest European and Flemish
    Ancestry
    From Flanders ( Koninkjrik België )
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R1a - L664
    mtDNA
    n/a
    Taxonomy
    60% Borreby with strong 40% Keltic Nordid admixture
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,187
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    I have never understood when people automatically assume that British people = Anglo Saxon. You can not be Anglo Saxon without having any blood or having the facial type from this tribe.
    Anglo Saxon to me means genetically and in classification terms 'Anglo Saxon type'.

What other traces of Germanic tribes are there in England? Is Anglo Saxon the only one?
    Don't be foolish the Anglo-Saxons were the principal body of Germanic tribes which invaded Great Britain. There was also a significant group of Frisians, individual from Frankish and Allemani tribes. Obviously you know the Danes and Norwegians also came.

Ascended into a higher realm
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 01:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Southasian Hunter-Gatherer
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,194
    Given: 58,968

0 Not allowed!

Angles and Saxons and Normans. I heard someone related the English to Jute but I dont know really what Jute are or if they came to England. But I read that assocciation. Also Saxons are East Germans and someone just said East Germans and Scandinavians are Slavs.
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]

Hm he has mastered chakra...can he do romjutsu... - Balkanforum user Floki
    then you must be some kind of wizzard who has lightning in his eyes - Balkanforum user Cobra about Mortimer
    Only a Sinti and Roma who has gained the power of the wheel can do it. - In conversation with the Balkanforum user Axer

Hatchling
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun-American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
    Angles and Saxons and Normans.
    Although the Normans have a Germanic origin, they can't be counted as Germanic here since they didn't speak Germanic and weren't part of the initial Germanic migration that led to the birth of the English kingdoms.

I heard someone related the English to Jute but I dont know really what Jute are or if they came to England. But I read that assocciation.
    Jutes were from the Jutland Peninsula and the third biggest tribe to migrate to England after the Angles and Saxons.

Also Saxons are East Germans
    No they're not. Saxons are North Germans. The people of Upper Saxony have nothing to do with Saxons other than having their name. Upper "Saxons" are really just Thuringians who adopted the term Saxon as a regional identity after they were conquered by the House of Ascania (Anhalt), a Saxon dynasty. Saxons only live in the northern half of Germany and the northeastern Netherlands.

Technically, Northeast Germans (as well as Northwest Germans) are Saxons, but by "East German", I assumed that you were referring to Upper Saxons. So Northeast Germans are Saxons, but Upper Saxons are not.

Plattdeutsch/Niederdeutsch = Saxon language.

The region traditionally/currently inhabited by Saxons is called "Old Saxony" and corresponds to modern day North Germany and NE Netherlands.

someone just said East Germans and Scandinavians are Slavs.
    East Germans, meaning everyone from the eastern half of Germany (inc. Bavarians), and Austrians are around half-Slavic or so. Scandinavians, definitely no.

Ascended into a higher realm
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 01:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Southasian Hunter-Gatherer
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,194
    Given: 58,968

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mingle View Post
    Although the Normans have a Germanic origin, they can't be counted as Germanic here since they didn't speak Germanic and weren't part of the initial Germanic migration that led to the birth of the English kingdoms.

Jutes were from the Jutland Peninsula and the third biggest tribe to migrate to England after the Angles and Saxons.

No they're not. Saxons are North Germans. The people of Upper Saxony have nothing to do with Saxons other than having their name. Upper "Saxons" are really just Thuringians who adopted the term Saxon as a regional identity after they were conquered by the House of Ascania (Anhalt), a Saxon dynasty. Saxons only live in the northern half of Germany and the northeastern Netherlands.

Plattdeutsch/Niederdeutsch = Saxon language.

The region traditionally/currently inhabited by Saxons is called "Old Saxony" and corresponds to modern day North Germany and NE Netherlands.

East Germans, meaning everyone from the eastern half of Germany (inc. Bavarians), and Austrians are around half-Slavic or so. Scandinavians, definitely no.
    There is Sachsen Anhalt too, there are few regions with name saxon in it. You said "House of Anhalt" sounds like Sachsen-Anhalt. Saxons are Northeast Germans. They are both North and East Germans. Frisians are Germans too. And I dont think everyone in east germany including austria and bavaria is half-slavic or all of them. And that western germans are zero slavic, because there is alot of genetic flow inbetween germans and the regions, i dont think most germans are exclusively from one single region. Im sure Germans mix with eatch other and if everyone in east germany would have been half-slavic initially then that means also western germans are part slavic since germans mix with germans easily. Then all Germans would be half-slavic. Sounds like some bullshit myth. Also Im not sure if there is a "slavic genetic component" exactly which is clearly distinct from germanic, so that it would be able to make those claim.
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]

Hm he has mastered chakra...can he do romjutsu... - Balkanforum user Floki
    then you must be some kind of wizzard who has lightning in his eyes - Balkanforum user Cobra about Mortimer
    Only a Sinti and Roma who has gained the power of the wheel can do it. - In conversation with the Balkanforum user Axer

Hatchling
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun-American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
    There is Sachsen Anhalt too, there are few regions with name saxon in it.
    It doesn't matter if the region has the name "Saxon" in it or not, the northern half of Germany is Saxon land. For example, Mecklenburg-Vorepommern is Saxon even though the region doesn't have Saxon in its name. In regards to Saxony-Anhalt, Halle is probably Thuringian (based on the dialect it traditionally speaks) whereas the rest of the state is Saxon.

You said "House of Anhalt" sounds like Sachsen-Anhalt.
    The proper name of the dynasty was 'House of Ascania'. It was sometimes called the House of Anhalt because their seat of power was in Anhalt. Saxony-Anhalt gets its name from Anhalt's historical significance in that dynasty.

Saxons are Northeast Germans. They are both North and East Germans.
    Agree. By "East German", I thought you were only referring to Upper Saxony.

And I dont think everyone in east germany including austria and bavaria is half-slavic or all of them. And that western germans are zero slavic, because there is alot of genetic flow inbetween germans and the regions, i dont think most germans are exclusively from one single region. Im sure Germans mix with eatch other and if everyone in east germany would have been half-slavic initially then that means also western germans are part slavic since germans mix with germans easily. Then all Germans would be half-slavic. Sounds like some bullshit myth. Also Im not sure if there is a "slavic genetic component" exactly which is clearly distinct from germanic, so that it would be able to make those claim.
    East Germans get modeled as half-Scandinavian and half-Russian on GEDmatch.

West Germans also have Slavic blood, but less than East Germans.

Proto-Germanics and Proto-Slavs were mixes of similar genetic components, but differed in proportions of those components.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information