R1a-Z280
    mtDNA
    H5b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,619
    Given: 2,429

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirin View Post
    Don't exist any Bessarabians or Basarabia, exist just Moldova and Moldavians. Bessarabia in fact is a logical historical name of Wallachia. The reason Romanians use these words toward Moldavians from RM, or Bukovina/ Bukovinians toward Moldavians from Suceava and Ukraine is just to humilate and ridicule Moldavian identity as a thing. These names was used intensive by Russians and Austrians who annexed parts of Moldova in the past, and is not just a coincidence what Romanians today regular use these words invented by "occupants". In 1859 Romania just annexed what remained from Moldavian state after heavy terriorial looses. And I don't have any recent Ukrainian, or even Russian ancestors, I am very pure from this perspective comporated to some local TA "Moldavians". As I said, when you don't have enough arguments, easy to bring in discussion arguments about russification, and other Romanian fairy tales.
    Moldovans were at the forefront of the push for unification, and the first ruler of unified Romania was a Moldovan. The only annexer is Russia, and you my friend are a victim of Stockholm syndrome. You can make up lies and deny russification (ironic when you are a russophone), but what will not change is that true Moldovans will say "Suntem români şi punctum."

Banned
    Last Online
    04-10-2021 @ 08:05 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,951
    Given: 5,518

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Not a Cop View Post
    Can't understand how is it related with Vlachs, when Kaledovanie is common even in northern slavic countries.
    I don't know much about this custom in other Slavic countries but fact is, in Serbia, it is mostly present in so called Vlachs region (east Serbia).

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Moldova
    Region
    Moldova
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,730
    Given: 3,184

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Carpatz View Post
    Moldovans were at the forefront of the push for unification, and the first ruler of unified Romania was a Moldovan. The only annexer is Russia, and you my friend are a victim of Stockholm syndrome. You can make up lies and deny russification (ironic when you are a russophone)
    Russophone? If I know Russian very well, I am by default Russian? Romanian logic still don't stop to surprise me.

Eminescu was a mix of many nations, no wonder he is the most Romanian from all Romanians.

Veteran Member WeirdLookingFellow's Avatar
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 07:19 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Balkan, Slavic from the Scythian Steppes of LARPing
    Ethnicity
    Moldovan, Romanian
    Ancestry
    Moldovan, Ukrainian
    Country
    Romania
    Region
    Moldova
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Ponto-Turan
    Hero
    Woody, the Cuman Khan
    Religion
    Folkish
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,876
    Given: 3,564

0 Not allowed!

Moldovan-only** traditions:

Paștele blajinilor (Easter of the weak/peaceful) Проводи - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radonitsa

Found in Moldova, Ukraine, Belarus, Russia.

Painting eggs - http://www.maribol.ro/wp-content/upl...015/09/oua.jpg

Isolated to the northern regions of Moldova, this tradition might have been taken from the Hutsul people.

Digging up the dead after 7 years. Unfortunately only some Romanian articles speak about it, but it is a centuries old tradition in Moldova that still scares Romanians when they hear about it. Some blamed its apparition on lack of burial places, but that is strange, knowing that Moldova has been a country ravaged by wars and sparsely populated. The tradition died in the Rep. of Moldova and cannot even be found everywhere in Moldova, but mostly just in the part bordering the Prut (Romania).

My personal interpretation is that this might be a pre-Christian, Slavic tradition that somehow survived, as it has been documented in the pagan Slavs (they did take the femur and head of the ancestors for protection, we don't do that). In itself, the tradition just implies digging up the dead after 7 years while a priest says some prayers. The remains are collected in a satchel but buried back in the same place. The burial place is not reused.

If anyone else wants to contribute, please do. I personally find Romania to be a country that takes huge pride in its traditions but left them to die, with few folk groups preserving mostly just the music part of it. When I look at Poland, Ukraine or Bulgaria, I see much better kept traditions with people much more interested in preserving them.

The dances that started this thread are probably proto-Slavic in origin as they can be found with very similar characteristics from Serbia-Bulgaria to Russia.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-16-2024 @ 09:25 PM
    South land of the Holy Spirit (Australia)
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Macedonian Slav
    Ancestry
    Lerin and Bitola region
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b
    mtDNA
    U4c1
    Hero
    Jesus Christ, Saint Paul, Saint Peter, Saint John, Ignatius of Antioch, Polycarp, Justin Martyr
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,437
    Given: 5,645

2 Not allowed!

In Macedonia there’s a 1400 year (at least) carnival held every year in the village of Vevcani to celebrate the new year (Sveta Vasilja/Vasilica). People dress up weirdly and parade down the street.

dice free

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,720
    Given: 43,625

3 Not allowed!

Similiar customs from western Croatia/North Adriatic region

Last Online
    02-28-2024 @ 02:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Eastern Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Ancestry
    Vlacho-Cuman
    Country
    Romania
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-S17250)
    mtDNA
    T2b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,320
    Given: 7,523

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdLookingFellow View Post
    Moldovan-only** traditions:

Paștele blajinilor (Easter of the weak/peaceful) Проводи - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radonitsa

Found in Moldova, Ukraine, Belarus, Russia.

Painting eggs - http://www.maribol.ro/wp-content/upl...015/09/oua.jpg

Isolated to the northern regions of Moldova, this tradition might have been taken from the Hutsul people.

Digging up the dead after 7 years. Unfortunately only some Romanian articles speak about it, but it is a centuries old tradition in Moldova that still scares Romanians when they hear about it. Some blamed its apparition on lack of burial places, but that is strange, knowing that Moldova has been a country ravaged by wars and sparsely populated. The tradition died in the Rep. of Moldova and cannot even be found everywhere in Moldova, but mostly just in the part bordering the Prut (Romania).

My personal interpretation is that this might be a pre-Christian, Slavic tradition that somehow survived, as it has been documented in the pagan Slavs (they did take the femur and head of the ancestors for protection, we don't do that). In itself, the tradition just implies digging up the dead after 7 years while a priest says some prayers. The remains are collected in a satchel but buried back in the same place. The burial place is not reused.

If anyone else wants to contribute, please do. I personally find Romania to be a country that takes huge pride in its traditions but left them to die, with few folk groups preserving mostly just the music part of it. When I look at Poland, Ukraine or Bulgaria, I see much better kept traditions with people much more interested in preserving them.

The dances that started this thread are probably proto-Slavic in origin as they can be found with very similar characteristics from Serbia-Bulgaria to Russia.
    Digging up the dead after 7 years it was a common practice here until a few years ago. It became illegal but i'm sure in the villages is still practiced to this days.

Last Online
    03-25-2024 @ 03:28 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Bulgar
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Ancestry
    Byzantine + Scythian (5.528) Seleucid + Scythian (5.695) Seleucid + Gaul (7.389) Byzantine + Gaul
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Y-DNA
    E-FTD7860 / maternal grandparents I-p37, J-M172
    mtDNA
    J1c-C16261T
    Taxonomy
    Beautiful
    Religion
    Orthodoxy Christianity
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,896
    Given: 1,003

0 Not allowed!

he custom is widespread in Southern and Central Europe - and in Romania, Moldova, Serbia, Greece, Northern Macedonia, Slovenia, Croatia, Bulgaria, Poland, Hungary, Croatia and Slovakia, Austria, etc. Similar carnival masks exist in Italy on the island of Sardinia. . A very similar ritual is also celebrated in Cantabria, Spain. His name is Wichaner. It is celebrated on the first Sunday of the new year. The custom in the Balkans originates from the Thracians, where it was celebrated during the days of the Thracian god of merry Dionysius and the welcome of an agricultural new year related to the plowing of the fields, the passing of winter and the onset of summer fertility. play recreates the connection between nature and man: land - woman, plowing - possession, sowing - fertilization, grain - male seed; the dying of winter - the killing of the King; the coming of spring - the resurrection of the King. The movements of the mummers have spell meaning, part of the game circle - preparation for the boy's family life, during which he must pass through in order to see, get to know and prepare for life after the wedding. In Bulgaria, masked people are called kukeri, and the Surva custom is included in the UNESCO list, a part of humanity's intangible cultural heritage.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information