View Poll Results: What do you think of non-Whites practicing European paganism?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Against it/insulted by it

29 48.33%
  • Don't care

31 51.67%
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: What is your opinion on non-Whites practicing European paganism (Asatru, Rodnovery, etc)?

Hatchling
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Central European
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,880
    Given: 7,415

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    How do you know he's Sicilian? It's easy enough to recognize Italian surnames; assuming he has one, it would be obvious what his ancestry is. While you do see some specifically Sicilian pride among Sicilian-Americans, it's a lot less common than general Italian and/or Italian-American pride. Sicilian-Americans have almost everything in common with other Italian-Americans, and it makes little sense in most cases to make distinctions.

Is it possible he has other ancestry? More specifically, something Germanic, which would draw him to Norse mythology?
    I asked him if he had any Norse heritage (he looked Germanic to me, had Norse tattoos, a sweatshirt with Viking insignia) and he replied to me that he was just Sicilian. He did mention though that some Northern Euros settled Sicily in ancient times and he might have blood from them, but I don't think that would influence his views since its ancient ancestry that everyone from his region would have. I don't know him well, I don't really even consider him an acquaintance, so I didn't really ask him why or anything. So I don't know what exactly could have influenced his views. My personal guess is that its Marvel related. If not, then the TV show Viking. Or a combo of those two.

Btw, when I say he looked Germanic, I mean he looked more like what you'd imagine a German to stereotypically look like rather than an Italian. I'm sure he wouldn't look atypical for Italian, just that he could pass as Scando. He had brown hair if it means anything.

If he's just Italian and nothing else, I would find it lamentable, in all honesty.
    I think you're being a bit harsh. People don't choose what they find interesting. He didn't worship Scandinavian people or culture, he just found their mythology interesting.
    Last edited by Mingle; 10-06-2018 at 11:35 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Ukrainian, Italian, Polish
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New Jersey
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,171
    Given: 1,327

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mingle View Post
    I asked him if he had any Norse heritage (he looked Germanic to me, had Norse tattoos, a sweatshirt with Viking insignia) and he replied to me that he was just Sicilian. He did mention though that some Northern Euros settled Sicily in ancient times and he might have blood from them, but I don't think that would influence his views since its ancient ancestry that everyone from his region would have. I don't know him well, I don't really even consider him an acquaintance, so I didn't really ask him why or anything. So I don't know what exactly could have influenced his views. Maybe the TV show Viking? IDK.

Btw, when I say he looked Germanic, I mean he looked more like what you'd imagine a German to stereotypically look like rather than an Italian. I'm sure he wouldn't look atypical for Italian, just that he could pass as Scando. He had brown hair if it means anything.
    It's a total reach. Lamentable, as I said.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New Jersey
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I think you're being a bit harsh. People don't choose what they find interesting. He didn't worship Scandinavian people or culture, he just found their mythology interesting.
    I thought you said you didn't really know him? I've got to call it as I see it with the limited details available. You mentioned Norse tattoos, which is certainly taking to an extreme level. Having a mere interest is another thing.

Hatchling
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Central European
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I thought you said you didn't really know him? I've got to call it as I see it with the limited details available. You mentioned Norse tattoos, which is certainly taking to an extreme level. Having a mere interest is another thing.
    It was just an assumption of mine. Asatru is its own subculture in America and those same people tend to not really be interested in Scando stuff outside of their mythology, so I just assumed he was one of those types of guys. I could be wrong since I didn't ask him if he was interested in other Norse stuff, it just seems unlikely.

Yeah, Norse tattoos and a sweatshirt with Norse insignia were what I saw. He had tattoos on both legs. I don't remember if he had any on his arms.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New Jersey
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

As far as "worshipping Scandinavian people or culture" is concerned - it's unclear what that's supposed to mean or how you've come to that conclusion. Because this thread deals with paganism, and it seems he's a neopagan of some sort, the irony is that it would appear that the exact opposite is true. Ancestor veneration is an important part of paganism. So, in a way, it's literally worshipping a different people or culture.

Hatchling
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Central European
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

As far as "worshipping Scandinavian people or culture" is concerned
    I meant as far as weeaboos or koreaboos go. They tend to be obsessed with Japan/Korea in general as opposed to only anime/kpop. Reading back, it probably wasn't the best thing to say.

- it's unclear what that's supposed to mean or how you've come to that conclusion. Because this thread deals with paganism, and it seems he's a neopagan of some sort, the irony is that it would appear that the exact opposite is true. Ancestor veneration is an important part of paganism. So, in a way, it's literally worshipping a different people or culture.
    Okay.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New Jersey
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I meant as far as weeaboos or koreaboos go. They tend to be obsessed with Japan/Korea in general as opposed to only anime/kpop. Reading back, it probably wasn't the best thing to say.

Okay.
    Not something I'm familiar with. In any event, contemporary Scandinavian culture is notoriously liberal, which is probably anathema to most neopagans.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread Information