Hero
    God
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,524
    Given: 1,834

1 Not allowed!

Son Lester had a fun time convincing Filipino co-workers in a Ventura facility that a compatriot was among the earliest inhabitants of nearby Santa Barbara, a world-rated resort city. Lester was showing them photos of the burial place of eminent Filipino Antonio Miranda, which I requested from him earlier to be used in this article. As this is being written (Sept. 4, 2013), the city of Los Angeles is celebrates its 232nd Founding Anniversary. Happy Birthday LA!

For sometime the LA Filipino American community and even some city officials held on to a narrative that this premier city in the west coast was founded by "pobladores" that included a Filipino. The pobladores were tasked to provide food for the soldiers of the presidios and to help secure Spain's hold of the region. They included farmers, artisans, and stock raisers necessary for the survival of the settlement, a plaque in Olvera Plaza states.

During the 224th anniversary of the city’s founding, then Mayor Antonio Villaraigoza was quoted saying “The original pobladores were a very diverse group, nearly half of them of African heritage. There were Europeans as well and mestizos and one Filipino.” He repeated his speech in Spanish for the benefit of many in the audience who were of Hispanic descent.

Even today the website Tertulias Filipinas HISTÓRICOS LAS ISLAS FILIPINAS Filipino funda Los Angeles contends that "One of the original settlers of El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula -- today's Los Angeles, California, USA -- was of filipino ancestry but smallpox temporary quarantene in Baja made him and others arrive after the others..."

Antonio Miranda Rodriguez was described in a book copyrighted by the Automobile Club of Southern California by authors William and Roberta Mason as a Malayan Filipino who enlisted in Sinaloa, Mexico, for the Los Angeles expedition. He later took up residence in Santa Barbara where he was employed as a gunsmith by military authorities. Begun in 1782, the Santa Barbara Presidio was the last military outpost built by Spain anywhere in the Western Hemisphere.

“Certainly,” according to the Masons, “he was Santa Barbara’s first Filipino resident, and perhaps the first permanent Filipino resident of California.” The book Spanish Mexican Families of Early California: 1769-1850 Volume II by Marie E. Northrop contains this entry:

Antonio Mirando Rodriguez
    Born about 1730 at Manila, Philippines
    Buried 26 May 1784 at Presidio Chapel Santa Barbara
    Child Juana Maria Rodriguez
    Born about 1769 Sonora, Mexico
    Died about 1780 at Loreto, Baja California,
    Mexico

CAPTION: Antonio Miranda is among the names inscribed in a tile slab marking the burial site of early residents inside a chapel in the Santa Barbara Presidio, City of Santa Barbara. The Presidio was the last military outpost built by Spain anywhere in the Western Hemisphere. PHOTOS BY MARK LESTER GRAVA

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1031648

Last Online
    12-29-2023 @ 05:26 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Philippian, Pinoy-Yorker, Luzonian
    Ethnicity
    Philo-Rican/ Filipino American/ Pacific American
    Ancestry
    Indo-Pacific
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New York City
    Taxonomy
    Filipino
    Politics
    Neutral
    Hero
    God
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

officially recognize by the US government and CNN.

Banned
    Last Online
    05-22-2020 @ 07:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    One Drop Rule Activated!
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H7a
    Taxonomy
    Bantuid
    Politics
    Save Us All From Whitey
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,458
    Given: 7,646

1 Not allowed!

Hopefully this will leading to historians uncovering the philippine population of New Spain just like the Mexican population of the Philippines and even Guam, which Guam was populated by Mexican and Filipino men who later mixed in with the chamorro communities

The mexican state with the highest filipino ancestry is Guerrero, I will soon gather dna results if these people, their southeast asian tend to be between 5-20%

Check thus mexican out, shes from Guerrero, just by looking at her, you would think shes just amerindian with some spanish but no, shes very mix

Last Online
    04-09-2019 @ 02:14 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sinid
    Ethnicity
    Han Chinese
    Ancestry
    The Celestial Empire
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    mtDNA
    You can mtDNA this!
    Taxonomy
    Nordsinid/Tungid
    Hero
    Yo momma last night
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28,799
    Given: 25,904

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlito's Way View Post
    Chino was used as a term to refer anyone from the Asian continent, that south Asian slave that was brought over to Mexico was called a china. So chino doesn't necessarily mean he was Chinese but that he came from the Asian continent and wasn't a white settler from those places

Filipinos have been part of Mexican history since the colonization of the country, many Filipinos were brought over to Mexico as slaves/servants, also one of the early founders of Baja California was a filipino

So none of this is a surprise, I just feel he should get some recognition just like the other settlers of Los Angeles
    No. Filipinos were called Indios by the Spaniards. That was the term they used for native Filipinos in the Philippines. The more East Asian looking Asians were called Chinos, but the Filipinos were not because of their phenotypes and because they were a Spanish colony.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Indo-Pacific
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New York City
    Taxonomy
    Filipino
    Politics
    Neutral
    Hero
    God
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Hopefully this will leading to historians uncovering the philippine population of New Spain just like the Mexican population of the Philippines and even Guam, which Guam was populated by Mexican and Filipino men who later mixed in with the chamorro communities

The mexican state with the highest filipino ancestry is Guerrero, I will soon gather dna results if these people, their southeast asian tend to be between 5-20%

Check thus mexican out, shes from Guerrero, just by looking at her, you would think shes just amerindian with some spanish but no, shes very mix

about 2% of the total philippine population is direct descendant of Mexicans.. Mexicans in the Philippines numbered 1.7 Million in 2010
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexica...he_Philippines

around 3% south Asia or middle eastern blood and around 5% with Spanish ancestry..

_______
    the Filipinos in mexico where generals and governors around 200,000 ..

I should take a trip to mexico and do a documentary film .. it will bring our 2 people together & preserve our history together..

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Indo-Pacific
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New York City
    Taxonomy
    Filipino
    Politics
    Neutral
    Hero
    God
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

the girl you posted is cute... btw... from my experience with Mexicans... some of them has mongoloid features... similar to us..

and MEXIPINA are usually good looking & can intergrate in both Isles Filipinas & Mexico.

but I would say Mexican genes are more dominate in appearance..

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    One Drop Rule Activated!
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H7a
    Taxonomy
    Bantuid
    Politics
    Save Us All From Whitey
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by zhaoyun View Post
    No. Filipinos were called Indios by the Spaniards. That was the term they used for native Filipinos in the Philippines. The more East Asian looking Asians were called Chinos, but the Filipinos were not because of their phenotypes and because they were a Spanish colony.
    Not in Mexico, this is why there is a famous traditional dress called La China Poblana which was created by a South Asian slave brought over by the Portuguese

Chino in Mexico was a term applied to everyone born in the Asian continent

"During those two and a half centuries, many Filipinos, Mexicans and others sailed to and from Mexico and the Philippines as sailors, crews, slaves, prisoners, adventurers and soldiers. Also on these voyages, thousands of Asian individuals (mostly males) were brought to Mexico as slaves and were called chinos or indios chinos, which meant Chinese. Although in reality they were of diverse origins, including Japanese, Koreans, Malays, Filipinos, Javanese, Cambodians, Timorese, and people from Bengal, India, Ceylon, Makassar, Tidore, Terenate, and China."

"A notable example of a china slave is Catarina de San Juan (Mirra), an Indian girl captured by the Portuguese and sold into slavery in Manila. She arrived in New Spain, became well known for her religious piety and eventually became associated with the "China Poblana"

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    One Drop Rule Activated!
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H7a
    Taxonomy
    Bantuid
    Politics
    Save Us All From Whitey
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by 1R0N M4N XL View Post
    about 2% of the total philippine population is direct descendant of Mexicans.. Mexicans in the Philippines numbered 1.7 Million in 2010
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexica...he_Philippines

around 3% south Asia or middle eastern blood and around 5% with Spanish ancestry..

_______
    the Filipinos in mexico where generals and governors around 200,000 ..

I should take a trip to mexico and do a documentary film .. it will bring our 2 people together & preserve our history together..
    I wonder if the percentage might be bigger since those Mexicans mixed in with the population, I remember that Filipino member I forgot his username posting about the Mexican founders of a few towns/cities of the Philippines

Also Javen would say Manila were Filipinos mixed with negrito, Mexican, Spanish and I don't know what else, not sure if he was being serious or not

You should go to Guerrero, they have Filipino loan words in their vocabulary
    Would be cool if you did a documentary out there
    I wouldn't mind buying about 6 AncestryDNA kits, and have you go out there and test the locals

Also in the Philippines where Mexicans settled in, test the locals and see if there is a connection

This project would be so dope

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Indo-Pacific
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New York City
    Taxonomy
    Filipino
    Politics
    Neutral
    Hero
    God
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Not in Mexico, this is why there is a famous traditional dress called La China Poblana which was created by a South Asian slave brought over by the Portuguese

Chino in Mexico was a term applied to everyone born in the Asian continent

"During those two and a half centuries, many Filipinos, Mexicans and others sailed to and from Mexico and the Philippines as sailors, crews, slaves, prisoners, adventurers and soldiers. Also on these voyages, thousands of Asian individuals (mostly males) were brought to Mexico as slaves and were called chinos or indios chinos, which meant Chinese. Although in reality they were of diverse origins, including Japanese, Koreans, Malays, Filipinos, Javanese, Cambodians, Timorese, and people from Bengal, India, Ceylon, Makassar, Tidore, Terenate, and China."

"A notable example of a china slave is Catarina de San Juan (Mirra), an Indian girl captured by the Portuguese and sold into slavery in Manila. She arrived in New Spain, became well known for her religious piety and eventually became associated with the "China Poblana"
    i'm going to do more study and find out who started the cloth first... one us copied each other..

BTW.. were the only & Indonesians in Asia pacific that uses that.. Piña fabric.. the rest uses silk or something.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Indo-Pacific
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New York City
    Taxonomy
    Filipino
    Politics
    Neutral
    Hero
    God
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I wonder if the percentage might be bigger since those Mexicans mixed in with the population, I remember that Filipino member I forgot his username posting about the Mexican founders of a few towns/cities of the Philippines

Also Javen would say Manila were Filipinos mixed with negrito, Mexican, Spanish and I don't know what else, not sure if he was being serious or not

You should go to Guerrero, they have Filipino loan words in their vocabulary
    Would be cool if you did a documentary out there
    I wouldn't mind buying about 6 AncestryDNA kits, and have you go out there and test the locals

Also in the Philippines where Mexicans settled in, test the locals and see if there is a connection

This project would be so dope
    I think that's selurong. I thought he was crazy at first but he showed me historical data.. he was telling the truth about Mexicans being in isles filipinas.

that javen/ejay is social outcast troll...we were suppose to meet in person, so I even trace his house and showed him pictures of his house, that's why you don't see him online anymore... LOL
    I have his pictures, i'll post it.. if you want, he looks nothing like to what he portrays himself to be... LOL.. if you hate him.. he trolls everyone including Mexicans..

i'm working in creating internet company & news publishing.. this will be my office soon ( building under construction).... I got a few professional APP makers and film maker working with me..

<-- samples of my rent building under construction

http://the-social-edge.com/ <--- samples of my engineers creation.

that Mexican and isles Filipina project... I can see will get a lot of attention if done & marketed correctly.. I think I will go for it once my project is done & successful

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information