I1b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35,727
    Given: 17,038

7 Not allowed!

Default Face of 9,000-Year-Old Teenager Reconstructed

Face of 9,000-Year-Old Teenager Reconstructed

Source: https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...&sf179752584=1

The meticulous process, based on a skull from a Greek cave, reveals how our facial features have changed over the millennia.

Facial features have "smoothed out" over millennia, and humans look less masculine today, says reconstructor Oscar Nilsson.

Her name is Avgi, and the last time anyone saw her face was nearly 9,000 years ago. When she lived in Greece, at the end of the Mesolithic period around 7000 B.C., the region was transitioning from a society of hunter gatherers to one that began cultivating its own food.

In English, Avgi translates to Dawn—a name archaeologists chose because she lived during what's considered the dawn of civilization.

Little is known about how she lived and died, but now archaeologists can see the ancient woman's prominent cheekbones, heavy brow, and dimpled chin.

Avgi's face was revealed by University of Athens researchers at an event at the Acropolis Museum on Friday.

To reconstruct her face was no small feat. An endocrinologist, orthopedist, neurologist, pathologist, and radiologist were all needed to accurately reconstruct what Avgi would have looked like. The reconstruction team was led by orthodontist Manolis Papagrigorakis, who noted at the museum event that while Avgi's bones appeared to belong to a 15-year-old-woman, her teeth indicated she was 18, "give or take a year," said Papagrigorakis.

In addition to the team of doctors, the university worked with Oscar Nilsson, a Swedish archaeologist and sculptor who specializes in reconstructions. He's worked on bringing so many ancient faces back to life that he even has a favorite period to work on: "the Stone Age," he says.

"[The Stone Age is] this enormously long period so unlike our age, but we are physically so alike," he adds.

Nilsson starts with her skull, which was unearthed in 1993 at Theopetra cave, a site in central Greece which has been occupied continuously for some 130,000 years. Researchers take a CT scan of the skull, and a 3D printer then makes an exact replica of the scan's measurements.

"Onto this copy pegs are glued, reflecting the thickness of the flesh at certain anatomical points of the face," he says.

This allowed him to flesh out Avgi's face, muscle by muscle. While some of her features are based on skull measurements, others, like skin and eye color, are inferred based on general population traits in the region.

It's not the first time Papagrigorakis, Nilsson, and the University of Athens team has brought an ancient face back to life. In 2010, they reconstructed the face of an 11-year-old Athenian girl named Myrtis who lived around 430 B.C. In the almost 7,000-year period between Avgi and Myrtis, facial structure appears to soften.

The team has also reconstructed the face of 11-year-old Myrtis, who died of typhoid in Athens in the 5th century B.C.

"Avgi has very unique, not especially female, skull, and features. Myrtis, still a child, does not differ at all in the features we find around us today," says Nilsson. "Having reconstructed a lot of Stone Age women and men, I think some facial features seem to have disappeared or 'smoothed out' with time. In general, we look less masculine, both men and women, today."

Not much is known about the circumstances of Agvi's death, but archaeologists know that Myrtis died from typhoid in an epidemic that devastated fifth-century Athens; it's a disease that still kills thousands today.

As 3D modeling technology advances, archaeologists are using the technique more frequently to reconstruct ancient faces. In December, researchers reconstructed the face of an ancient Peruvian queen, and last January, the world finally saw the man behind the famous 9,500-year-old Jericho Skull.

King of Swords Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 06:05 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    my own tribe
    Ethnicity
    entheos
    Country
    Serbia
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H11a1a
    Politics
    NWO Masonic Luciferianism
    Religion
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,385
    Given: 31,170

0 Not allowed!

I have a hard time believing that these ancient reconstructions had hair that seemed to be taken care of or washed all the time. They should have dreadlocks

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Inselaffe
    Country
    New Zealand
    Y-DNA
    R-U106
    mtDNA
    HV18
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,647
    Given: 10,371

1 Not allowed!

I have a much easier time understanding pederasty in ancient times now I've viewed these reconstruction of young women.

Last Online
    03-02-2024 @ 11:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Homo neogrecous
    Ethnicity
    Yes
    Country
    Japan
    Region
    Acadia
    mtDNA
    H
    Politics
    oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,431
    Given: 241

0 Not allowed!

Lol @ Myrto’s crooked teeth. An 11 years old having the teeth of a 50 years old

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 10:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    W6a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,924
    Given: 18,997

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by wvwvw View Post
    Lol @ Myrto’s crooked teeth.
    They didn't have orthodontists back then!

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:38 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic Celtic Romance
    Ethnicity
    Central/Northwestern Euro
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,985
    Given: 450

0 Not allowed!

Damn right, so imagine how she'd look had braces been invented back then

Kouros

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    I have a hard time believing that these ancient reconstructions had hair that seemed to be taken care of or washed all the time. They should have dreadlocks
    The hair is just for decoration I think. I know for the Athenian girl they just gave her a random hair color and style because they couldn't determine it physically or genetically. Not sure for the Mesolithic girl.

Last Online
    Today @ 01:44 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Aryan
    Ethnicity
    German & Romanian
    Ancestry
    Germanic, Slavic, Thracian
    Country
    Romania
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1b1a2b3
    Taxonomy
    European
    Politics
    conservative
    Hero
    Gunnar from Njall's Saga
    Religion
    atheist
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,519
    Given: 9,857

0 Not allowed!

That 9000 year old girl looks quite similar to some Amerindians (looks like a mestiza from Paraguay).

King of Swords Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 06:05 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    my own tribe
    Ethnicity
    entheos
    Country
    Serbia
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H11a1a
    Politics
    NWO Masonic Luciferianism
    Religion
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,385
    Given: 31,170

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Keraunos View Post
    The hair is just for decoration I think. I know for the Athenian girl they just gave her a random hair color and style because they couldn't determine it physically or genetically. Not sure for the Mesolithic girl.
    Yes but realistically these ancient european reconstructions should have dreadlocks. Dreadlocks are more of a white/caucasian thing instead of black except if the black is mixed. Bob Marley was half white Irish for example. I've seen a lot of blonde rastafari people with dreadlocks. If you dont wash your long hair for months then your hair becomes dreadlocked.

Last Online
    07-19-2023 @ 11:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Neanderthal
    Ethnicity
    Amud
    Ancestry
    Amerimutt
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Nobilid
    Religion
    personal belief system
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,896
    Given: 852

2 Not allowed!

This is a dishonest attempt to push the narrative that ancient people were primitive and ugly. Notice that they gave her beady and angry-looking eyes, but the skull (visible in the linked video) seems to have normal-looking orbits, so the appearance of the eyes was an artistic choice not based on the actual appearance of the skull. Also notice that this individual has an underbite -- malocclusion was not the norm in Mesolithic, so she may have had some kind of disorder or genetic malfunction. This was not mentioned in the article, leading the readers to assume that everyone from that time had an underbite (which contributes to the supposedly primitive appearance).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information