Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ethnicity of the Ancient Macedonians

Kouros

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Crn Volk View Post
    This won't help with your coping...

Does this look like Cyrillic or Bulgarian to you. "Coping" lol...

Hatchling
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun-American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,940
    Given: 7,468

1 Not allowed!

Some people say that Macedonians weren't Greek cause they were called barbarians and a bit different ('backward') than them i.e. having a kingdom instead of city states. But afaik, the Epirotes were also called barbarians and they were a Greek tribe. There may have been more Greek tribes that were called barbarian but I don't know their names. It seemed to have just been an insult used by some Greek tribes with a superiority complex towards other Greek tribes.

Hatchling
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun-American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Pill View Post
    Macedonians were likely a hellenized Thraco-Illyrian people
    Unlikely.

https://palaeolexicon.com/Article/Sh...25981850585284

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    12-22-2023 @ 01:20 PM
    Ethnicity
    Србин
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,173
    Given: 5,255

1 Not allowed!

This is how I group South Slavs in terms of native balkan vs slavic genetically speaking

Croats, Bosniaks and Slovenians: More slavic then native
    Serbs: Intermediate between Native Balkanites and Slavs
    Macedonians, Montenegrins and Bulgarians: Mainly Native Balkan

Kouros

0 Not allowed!

The Pella curse tablet is a text written in a distinct Doric Greek idiom, found in Pella, the ancient capital of Macedon, in 1986. Ιt contains a curse or magic spell (Greek: κατάδεσμος, katadesmos) inscribed on a lead scroll, dated to the first half of the 4th century BC (circa 375–350 BC). It was published in the Hellenic Dialectology Journal in 1993. It is one of four known texts that may represent a local dialectal form of ancient Greek in Macedonia, all of them identifiable as Doric. These suggest that a Doric Greek dialect was spoken in Macedonia, as was previously proposed based on the West Greek forms of names found in Macedonia. As a result, the Pella curse tablet has been forwarded as an argument that the Ancient Macedonian language was a dialect of North-Western Greek, and one of the Doric dialects.
    They spoke proto-Slavic obviously, just like the Romans, the Thracians, and the Illyrians

Hatchling
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun-American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

True. The Paeonians were also the same people and eventually were Hellenized as well, as were the Thracians.
    Thracians were never Hellenized. They were likely influenced by Hellenic culture but the area never became Greek.

I am very doubtful that Paeonia was ever linguistically Hellenized either, although they did have cultural influence from Greeks obviously. I can't say that for certain, although I am very doubtful.

Last Online
    03-02-2024 @ 11:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Homo neogrecous
    Ethnicity
    Yes
    Country
    Japan
    Region
    Acadia
    mtDNA
    H
    Politics
    oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,431
    Given: 241

1 Not allowed!

The Macedonians equated themselves with Hellenes and their land with Hellas which was to be liberated from the Barbarians by them and other Hellenes.

Hellas was not part Macedonia. *Macedonia is part of Hellas. Alexander the Great was a Dorian Greek descended from Herakles on his fathers side and Aeolian Greek descended from Achilles on his mothers.

In the year 200 B.C. the Macedonian King Philip V sent Macedonian ambassadors to the council of the Aetolian League, the 'Panaetolian Congress', to try to prevent the Romans from inducing the Aetolians to change their allegiance from Philip V to the Romans in their 2nd Macedonian War. At the council was also the Roman representative sent by the consul, and also a deputation from the Athenians who were the Romans' allies at this time. A hearing was first given to the Macedonians.

The Macedonian delegates said:

The Aetolians, the Acarnanians, the Macedonians, are divided or united by unimportant causes that arise from time to time; with aliens, with barbarians, all Greeks are and will be for ever at war; for they are enemies not for reasons which change from day to day, but by nature -and nature is eternal. But now my speech will end...'

[9.45.1] They at once, hearing this, made haste to the outpost, where they found Alexander, who addressed them as follows:-

"Men of Athens, that which I am about to say I trust to your honour; and I charge you to keep it secret from all excepting Pausanias, if you would not bring me to destruction. Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Greece, I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself a Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Greece exchange freedom for slavery. Know then that Mardonius and his army cannot obtain favourable omens; had it not been for this, they would have fought with you long ago. Now, however, they have determined to let the victims pass unheeded, and, as soon as day dawns, to engage in battle. Mardonius, I imagine, is afraid that, if he delays, you will increase in number. Make ready then to receive him. Should he however still defer the combat, do you abide where you are; for his provisions will not hold out many more days. If ye prosper in this war, forget not to do something for my freedom; consider the risk I have run, out of zeal for the Greek cause, to acquaint you with what Mardonius intends, and to save you from being surprised by the barbarians. I am Alexander of Macedon." As soon as he had said this, Alexander rode back to the camp, and returned to the station assigned him.

“…he (Alexander) inflicted punishment on the Persians for their outrages on all the Greeks, and how he delivered us all from the greatest evils by enslaving the barbarians and depriving them of the resources they used for the destruction of the Greeks, pitting now the Athenians and now the Thebans against the ancestors of these Spartans, how in a word he made Asia subject to Greece.”
    [Polybius, Book IX, 34, 3]
    *He “made Asia Subject to Greece”. Another irrefutable evidence that Macedonia was part of Greece.
    Last edited by wvwvw; 01-23-2018 at 07:13 AM.

Bloodline of 5/42 Evzone Regiment
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Ancestry
    Byzantine Rumelia
    Country
    Antarctica
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    Politics
    Christian Theocratic
    Hero
    Christian Emperors
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,927
    Given: 4,822

0 Not allowed!

This won't help with your coping...

You should be ashamed for using the name Macedonia and being so illiterate.

This is a proper A-grade Greek civil War. Read and learn not one tribe mentioned here was non-Greek. And no mention of Slavic language either.

You seem to forget the Heraklids are in Greece.

http://documentacatholicaomnia.eu/03...an_War,_EN.pdf
    “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” Eph. 6:12

Definition of untrustworthy and loose character are those that don't believe in God.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-18-2019 @ 05:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Country
    Albania
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,848
    Given: 2,744

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mingle View Post
    Some people say that Macedonians weren't Greek cause they were called barbarians and a bit different ('backward') than them i.e. having a kingdom instead of city states. But afaik, the Epirotes were also called barbarians and they were a Greek tribe. There may have been more Greek tribes that were called barbarian but I don't know their names. It seemed to have just been an insult used by some Greek tribes with a superiority complex towards other Greek tribes.
    Not some people. Demosthenenes called them barbarian. And no, Epirotes were not Greek tribes, they were also barbarian. Barbarian in antiquity was used to show a non-greek population. This is common knowledge. No need to study in university to learn these basic concepts.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-18-2019 @ 05:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Country
    Albania
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,848
    Given: 2,744

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mingle View Post