Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35,590
    Given: 16,990

0 Not allowed!

Default SAB's Cape Town brewery to bottle spring water as Day Zero looms

SAB's Cape Town brewery to bottle spring water as Day Zero looms

Source: https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/sou...ay-zero-looms/

After 200 years of making beer‚ Newlands Brewery in Cape Town is going into the water business.

Queues at the brewery’s spring‚ where free water can be collected‚ have become almost unmanageable as the reality of Day Zero has dawned on Capetonians.

Now South African Breweries “has indicated its willingness to assist in the bottling and distribution of water drawn from the Newlands spring”‚ according to a statement on Sunday from Michael Mpofu‚ spokesman for Western Cape Premier Helen Zille.

He said Zille would attend a meeting at the brewery on Monday to discuss the rollout of the plan.

In a tweet on Sunday‚ Zille said she would also publish a summary on Monday “of what I know at present about how Day Zero‚ the run-up and the aftermath‚ will be managed”.

Zille’s intervention comes after Cape Town mayor Patricia de Lille admitted on Thursday — the day before the City of Cape Town voted to relieve her of power to manage the water crisis — that Day Zero is now likely. The projected date is April 20‚ though it is likely to be sooner.

Mpofu said Zille’s first meeting of the week‚ early on Monday‚ would be with officials from national disaster management‚ the police‚ the South African Defence Force and the State Security Agency‚ among others.

“The focus of the meeting will be preparations for and management of Day Zero [and its aftermath]‚” said Mpofu.

The City of Cape Town told TimesLive on Friday that its plans for 200 water collection points around the city‚ where citizens will be able to collect a daily allowance of five litres‚ were still being finalised. It was unable to provide any specific information.

Reacting to the article on social media‚ readers expressed alarm that preparations were not more advanced.

Tweeting a link to the article‚ columnist Tom Eaton said: “I can find references in news articles to #DayZero as far back as May. Want to know how far the city's plans have come in the subsequent eight months? Trust me‚ you don’t. Holy s**t‚ this is appalling.”

Education expert Nic Spaull‚ of Stellenbosch University‚ said the city council Day Zero plan was “totally unworkable”‚ adding: “If there are 1‚264‚000 households in Cape Town and only 200 water-collection points‚ that means 6‚320 people queueing per station every day‚ each somehow carrying 100 litres of water home?! WTF?!”

Nathi Radebe commented on the TimesLive Facebook page: “They must go to court and ask for a detailed plan. Courts help [the DA] all the time.”

Antoinette Dreyer said: “Day Zero will be the result of decades of sub-moronic stupidity... no single political party is responsible.”

Eberhardt van Gould said: “Since both central and local governments have given citizens a fat middle finger‚ citizens should wake up and give them back a fat middle finger through a tax revolt. Rather invest that money in managing their own community and go back to self-sufficiency.”

Troy Gilson said: “The poor people who work at the landfill sites will have to deal with everyone’s faeces. Imagine the disease outbreaks.. They will need hazmat suits.”

Karabo Phetoane said: “DA votes against DA water levy. DA strips mayor of water powers. Deputy mayor now in charge of water until it runs out. Premier is writing another article on it. Mmusi is lecturing Cyril. And all is under control.”

Banned
    Last Online
    10-15-2022 @ 07:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic,Celtic
    Ethnicity
    BRIT
    Ancestry
    England,Ireland,Scotland, Germany,Alsace,Austria
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Amazigh
    mtDNA
    J1c3
    Politics
    Freedom
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,201
    Given: 9,778

0 Not allowed!

I heard about this. IDK what's gonna happen but it sounds pretty bad. It would be nuts for such a large city to run out of water.

Ülev

0 Not allowed!

What about desalination of Ocean water?
    all what do you need is just buy some technology

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic / Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Taxonomy
    West Baltid
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Profileid View Post
    I heard about this. IDK what's gonna happen but it sounds pretty bad. It would be nuts for such a large city to run out of water.
    It is bad. There is nothing you can do. Absolutely nothing. It isn't a case of "would be" nuts. It is nuts because it's happening right now.

We bath in minimal water because we don't have a shower. I pour the water about 5cm deep and wash in that. I haven't done the laundry in days. The toilet is caked with uric crystals and the house smells horrible. You can only spray and mask the smell for a limited amount of time. We flush with grey water only after a poo and the urine stands all day, hence the crystal build-up in the bowl.

I bath only if I go to work. I don't bath over weekends or days when I'm off. Same with the husband. We smell as funky as the toilet does, but then again so does everyone else. Everybody stinks. It'll be better in winter when the days are cooler and not everyone is sweating. Then you can hide your sweaty armpits and stinky ass under layers of clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Coinneach View Post
    Technology is great if you can afford it.

They've installed four desalination plants already but they are extremely expensive and desalination is an expensive process. The plants should be up and running by February. Desalination plants can only a limited amount of water per day. Great if you have a strong economy which can afford it and even better if these plants were built ages ago. Yet, the municipality has been sitting with its head up its ass and done absolutely fuck-all when there was still time.

Even with desalination plants up and running 24/7 we would still have strictly imposed water restrictions. At the moment 87 litres per person per day. As of 1 February down to 50 litres per person per day.

There are also concerns that pollutants can survive the desalination process. Whilst the process gets rid of the salt, it doesn't necessarily get rid of bacteria. So on the one side there is sewage pouring into the ocean, and on the other side they're sucking it up for desalination. You can just see the potential for disease outbreaks in such a scenario.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-15-2022 @ 07:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic,Celtic
    Ethnicity
    BRIT
    Ancestry
    England,Ireland,Scotland, Germany,Alsace,Austria
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Amazigh
    mtDNA
    J1c3
    Politics
    Freedom
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,201
    Given: 9,778

0 Not allowed!

That's some shit. I wasn't sure if you lived there or not.
    So you think this could've been avoided or greatly reduced if the city govt was more competent? Also, are hospitals affected at all?

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic / Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Taxonomy
    West Baltid
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Profileid View Post
    That's some shit. I wasn't sure if you lived there or not.
    So you think this could've been avoided or greatly reduced if the city govt was more competent? Also, are hospitals affected at all?
    Yes, this could have been avoided. A drought doesn't happen overnight. It is a process which takes years and this has been coming for years already. No action was taken. Only NOW, a couple months before the dreaded "Day Zero" suddenly everyone has to scramble to save water. And until now, everyone was sitting with their thumbs up their asses.

There is a very large river which discharges billions of liters of water into the sea every day, approximately 800-900km from Cape Town. All it takes is a large duct to be built to divert the water into the Western Cape region. There are dozens of large and very empty dams which are fully capable of handling all the water we need.

They managed to build an oil pipeline from Durban to Johannesburg, which pumps oil and other fuel uphill for 555km. There was no problem building such a pipeline, although it cost a lot, but it's up and running.

Had anyone with brains sat down a number of years ago they would have seen the the same could be done in this case. It wouldn't even be necessary to pump anything, all that is necessary is for gravity to do the work. Now had their been oil involved in this deal, the pipeline would be running today. But unfortunately, because it is only water, nobody has given a damn.

It doesn't take heroic measures to build a duct from an area which experiences torrential rains year after year and to diver the water to an area which needs it.

It's not affecting hospitals (yet), and clearly not new hot-spot tourist hotels either where people can swim to their heart's content.

It's all bullshit. It's been change into polictical shitflinging with no end in site.
    Last edited by Kazimiera; 01-31-2018 at 02:08 PM.

Malarxist-Bidenist
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2022 @ 06:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European-American
    Ancestry
    Great Britain (early 17th c.), Ireland (19th c.), Elsaß Germany (19th c.)
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Illinois
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Atlantic
    Politics
    Wählt Sozialdemokratisch! 🌹
    Hero
    Aldous Huxley
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta (शाक्तं)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,782
    Given: 5,353

0 Not allowed!

Should look into buying stock in water companies if only most of them weren't private.

Only butthurted clowns minuses my posts. -- Лиссиы

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Athlete
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    I1-Z58
    mtDNA
    J1c1
    Politics
    Would not call myself pro-semitic
    Hero
    Jozef Tiso
    Religion
    Catholic Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,742
    Given: 16,840

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Coinneach View Post

With a incredibly downfaling white population, south africa will never be able to maintaine such technology lol

Thread Information