Lacking
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,193
    Given: 2,391

1 Not allowed!

Default I-M223

Michael Ruby, Roots and Routes @ YouTube
    Updated Jun 23, 2017

Haplogroups work a lot like surnames. There was a first man to be I-M223 (also known as I2a2). He lived in Europe—probably. He lived 14,000 to 18,000 years ago—probably. We will never really know, because the only people we can test are his sons’ sons’ sons’ … sons’ sons who are alive today, including you.

His father was not I-M223. Neither were his brothers. They were I-M170. One of his father’s sperm had a Y-chromosome that had mutated, creating a slightly different order of base pairs. That sperm fertilized his mother’s egg at his conception and the I-M223 “family” was created in that moment. So when he went to the Magdalenian government agency at the bottom of Lascaux Cave to get his birth certificate, he was told he would have to change his surname…

Just kidding. No one knew that anything had changed with the birth of this son, because nothing really had. That little part of the Y-chromosome mostly does not code for anything important (mostly).

Let’s say that he did take a surname though… like Rubble.

The only reason this “type” (I-M233) shows up among the noise is because his male line survived. The first I-M233 had sons. If they had been named Rubble and kept his surname, they all would have been Rubbles. All of their sons were I-M233, and would have been Rubbles.

Your paternal cousins (people you can trace to with only this male line) were probably among the first (re)settlers of Britain, Ireland, and Scandinavia as the ice sheets receded. The “surname” stayed with them. Sometimes it grew in population in a particular area when a man had a lot of sons; sometimes it died out in a particular area when all the men with the “surname” had no sons.

How much of this is random?

Well, areas populated predominantly with this lineage do seem to be associated with Germanic languages—not because the first I-M233 man spoke a Germanic language (he most definitely did not), but because by about 1000 BCE many proto-Germanic groups had large numbers of I-M233 men—like the areas in northern Sweden and the centre of Germany that are dark blue in the modern map. The regional concentrations may be due to particular “branches of the Rubble family” that became dominant patrilineal clans in various Germanic tribes.

Either a surname/clan can grow randomly (and it’s easier to grow when larger) or through prestige (the Genghis Khan model). From the map above, it looks possible that the Saxons may have had a lot of people “named Rubble” in our scenario, and that the Swedish people who settled Norrland (northern Sweden) in the late Middle Ages also had a very high percentage of “Rubbles” in their population.

If every one of his sons’ sons’ sons’ … had kept his name, you would be a “Rubble” too.

You are the son of the son of the son of the son of the son … of one of his sons. With no other information, I have no idea where you are from. While it’s statistically most probably that you are German, Swedish, or English, or an American with one of those ancestries, you could just as easily be from one of other populations where your father’s father’s father’s … father’s sons’ sons’ … son’s sons went, like Crete or Tatarstan or Spain or Sudan or anywhere in Latin America. These I-M223 men became part of many cultures, and thousands of years later, got many different surnames from customary practice and governments. Here’s just a not-at-all-random sampling of surnames from I-M233 projects on the Internet—Dryer (German), Kazadzidis (Trapezuntine Greek), Pereira (Brazilian), Chumley (English), Bényi (Hungarian), Al Jaafari (Egyptian), Chitchyan (Armenian), González (Mexican),[1]and Izzard (English, celebrity). You can’t tell any other part of your ancestry from that result alone.

But, if somehow, the original I-M233 man had taken a surname, then successfully passed that surname on to all of his sons, all of their sons, and so on… it would still be your surname and the surname of all of those other people.

Of course, tons of other mutations have happened since then. So you could break up and relabel the “family” based on those mutations too.[2] That would just be new levels of detail—your patrilineal relatedness to all other I-M233 people would stand. Let’s say you also had I-M284—you could, and your genetic genealogy company could have not tested to that detail—you would be part of a haplogroup that’s a subset of I-M233, that is almost exclusively British.[3]

By the way, since the father’s father’s father’s … father’s line (purely patrilineal), is only a miniscule portion of your total ancestry, the likelihood that you inherited any other gene from original I-M233 man is zero, and your overall relatedness to other I-M233 men is no bigger than your relatedness to their general population. It is, in one way, very much like a surname—just a name. A name with a lot more history.

Footnotes

[1] Family Tree DNA - I-M223 Y-Haplogroup Project

[2] Family Tree DNA - Genetic Testing for Ancestry, Family History & Genealogy

[3] I-M284 (Y-DNA) genealogy project

https://www.quora.com/What-does-it-m...nd-haplogroups

King of Swords Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 07:16 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    my own tribe
    Ethnicity
    entheos
    Country
    Serbia