Thread: Jordan Brown Murder Case Takes Emotional TollJordan Brown Murder Case Takes Emotional Toll

Last Online
    11-05-2023 @ 04:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Brabant, Holland, Guelders and some Hainaut.
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Norway Deal-NEXIT, Dutch Realm Atlanticist, Habsburg Legitimist
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34,729
    Given: 61,129

0 Not allowed!

Default Jordan Brown Murder Case Takes Emotional TollJordan Brown Murder Case Takes Emotional Toll

Jordan Brown Murder Case Takes Emotional Toll

The killing of a young pregnant mother, allegedly by the 11-year-old boy who was about to become her stepson, has created a bitter feud between two families that were about to be happily joined through marriage.

The killing of a young pregnant mother, allegedly by the 11-year-old boy who was about to become her stepson, has taken an emotional toll on two families that were about to be happily joined through marriage.

A Pennsylvania judge ruled last month that the boy will be tried as an adult. If convicted, he could become the youngest person in U.S. history to be sentenced to life in prison without parole.

"He's an average 12-year-old," said Jordan's father Chris Brown. "To try to explain to a 12-year-old what the rest of your life means it's incomprehensible for him. He doesn't appreciate the magnitude of what he's facing."

Jordan was denied the chance to stay in a juvenile facility
    where he would be released by the age of 21 as requested by his lawyers. The decision was the biggest setback yet for the Brown family. Brown told "Nightline" he was "heartbroken" and "sickened by the judge's ruling."

But for the family of Houk, 26, who was found shot in the head in her rural farmhouse in Western Pennsylvania in February 2009 -- just two weeks away from giving birth to her first son -- life in prison may not be as severe as losing a loved one.

"Worse thing is losing your daughter," said Houk's mother Debbie Houk. "I wake up in the middle of the night and think I'm going to have an anxiety attack knowing that I'm never seeing her again. It hurts."
    It was Houk's 4-year-old daughter Adalynn who discovered her own mother's body.

"She has said to me, 'Grandma, I got up that morning, I went down to get mommy, I shook her and she wouldn't wake and she had blood on her back,'" Debbie Houk said.

The Houks gathered at the hospital to say goodbye -- not only to Kenzie Houk, but to their unborn grandson, who was to be named Christopher Jr.
    "It was horrible. That little baby was perfect," Debbie Houk said. "When I spoke to the preacher ...he said to me, 'Do you realize that you actually held an angel, because we are all born into the world of sin, and this baby never was.'"

Kenzie Houk, 26, was found shot in the head in her rural farmhouse in Western Pennsylvania in February 2009. Here, she is pictured with daughters Adalynn and Jenessa.

Families Grieve Separately

Each day Debbie Houk visits her daughter and grandson's grave while Chris Brown makes the four-hour round trip to visit his son in a juvenile detention center.

"Mentally, he's gotten quite an education there," Brown said of the 13-months his son has spent in the facility. "The boys and girls, the kids that he's with, they're pretty harsh kids. He's not there with the Boy Scouts. Physically he's grown 4 inches plus, and 40 pounds, close to 40 pounds. ...He has just been subjected to some awful things in the past 13 months."

Brown continues to proclaim his son's innocence.
    "I know my son. I've talked to him numerous times in depth about what happened and ...if he knew anything about it, if he was involved, he would have told me by now," Brown said. "Not only that, but keep in mind, [he was] 11 years old when this happened, now 12. In the environment that he's in, a child like that is going to break down and his story has not changed from day one."

Different Portraits Of a Young Boy

While Brown describes his son as the "happy- go-lucky" quarterback of his Pee Wee football team, members of Houk's family describe Jordan as a "troubled kid."

Houk's nephew reportedly heard Jordan make an alarming comment before the murder, which Debbie Houk says was swept under the rug.
    "Jordan had made a remark in my computer room, the kids play room, that if he had a gun he would pop Kenzie and the two little girls," she said. "When it was addressed, Chris said his son would never say such a word."

When asked if Jordan had any problems in line with the Houks' comments, Brown said no.

How Young Is Too Young for Life in Prison?

The Houks and police point to overwhelming evidence they say will prove that Jordan is the killer, including gun residue found on his shirt, a fresh shell casting found outside as well as the testimony of Houk's 7-year-old daughter who says she saw Jordan with the gun.

Attorney Dennis Elisco said the evidence that will come out in trial will show that Jordan did not commit this crime.

But many argue 12 is simply too young to face the prospect of an adult sentence. Due to tough-on-crime laws, Pennsylvania has more juveniles sentenced to life in prison without parole than any other state. Kids charged with murder in Pennsylvania are automatically considered adults and only a judge's decision can move the trial to juvenile court.

"I think the judge's decision in this case is both disappointing, and I think, misinformed," said Lawrence Steinberg of Temple University. "The judge is saying in order to be tried as a juvenile you need to admit that you've done the crime. That doesn't seem quite right to me."

A child's brain isn't fully developed -- especially in area that controls decision making, risk taking and impulse control, according to Steinberg, whose research influenced a Supreme Court case banning the death penalty for juveniles in 2005.

"It's a very serious crime, but I think we have an appropriate response ... that will ... provide the kinds of services and therapies that have a good chance at rehabilitating him," he said.

For now, it's a life interrupted for Jordan, as his lawyers begin the process of appealing the judge's decision.
    "The case is obviously not over," said Elisco.

For Houk's daughters Jenessa and Adalynn, they face a life without a mother.

"They are serving a life sentence and I am, I ain't got my daughter no more," Debbie Houk said. "Why should you get the things back that you had when you took so much ... you took two lives here."

Source: ABCNews (28 April 2010)
    I thought that it was a shocking article so I decided to share it.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Last Online
    11-05-2023 @ 04:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Brabant, Holland, Guelders and some Hainaut.
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Norway Deal-NEXIT, Dutch Realm Atlanticist, Habsburg Legitimist
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34,729
    Given: 61,129

0 Not allowed!

It's still an un-going case (apparently)

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    11-28-2011 @ 12:53 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Civis Batavi View Post
    Due to tough-on-crime laws, Pennsylvania has more juveniles sentenced to life in prison without parole than any other state. Kids charged with murder in Pennsylvania are automatically considered adults and only a judge's decision can move the trial to juvenile court.
    The article makes it seem like the Commonwealth is especially harsh on children, but in Pennsylvania there has never been a life-in-prison charge with parole. Life means life in Commonwealth law, and always has.

This is a really shocking story, though, and sad all around. For once I find it hard to form an opinion...

Last Online
    05-14-2012 @ 12:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

As horrible as the crime was, I still don't think the kid deserves a life sentence. Kids at 11 years old do not possess the mental and emotional maturity to really understand the impact of their actions.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    11-28-2011 @ 12:53 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Adalwolf View Post
    As horrible as the crime was, I still don't think the kid deserves a life sentence. Kids at 11 years old do not possess the mental and emotional maturity to really understand the impact of their actions.
    He's beyond the age of reason and therefore unless he's mentally retarded should have an understanding of right and wrong, which means that he understands the action itself, which is enough to deserve firm punishment even if the greater implications of that action are not fully understood.

If one argues that the basis of legal punishment should be "understanding the impact of actions", it would be easy to say that most criminals do not deserve imprisonment or execution. It is the action itself which must carry punishment, and the thought and actions leading up to the crime which have greater bearing than the consequential occurrences. Consequences and lack of understanding of said consequences should not be any great bearing on a judge's mind.

Of course, we have juvenile courts and juvenile punishments for a reason and such systems should be employed - after all, we don't know whether we're dealing with a bad seed or just a mistake here.

Furthermore, as far as I know no one has gone to court yet. I'd like to emphasise that: the accused has not stood in a court room. Therefore, all we're doing here is speaking hypothetically; the American legal system is founded on the principle that the accused is "innocent until proven guilty". I think that, thanks to the newspapers and media outlets, Americans have forgotten that.

Thread Information