View Poll Results: Do you consider such term pejorative ?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

15 18.52%
  • No.

66 81.48%
Page 53 of 59 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you find word ''balkans'' derogatory ?

Last Online
    02-06-2018 @ 08:43 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    saxon
    Ethnicity
    Romanian-American
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    clint eastwood with a dash of van damme
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

For me, Balkans is not pejorative , because I associate it with a geographic meaning, so if lets say Bulgaria was to be collonised by anglo-saxons and made 1st world, I would still call Bulgaria Balkan.Unlike the insecure member here Stearsolina, that dreams to be a baroque princess from a 18th century Vienna court, I do not care of the opinions of other people.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,621

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Toscanello View Post
    For me, Balkans is not pejorative , because I associate it with a geographic meaning, so if lets say Bulgaria was to be collonised by anglo-saxons and made 1st world, I would still call Bulgaria Balkan.Unlike the insecure member here Stearsolina, that dreams to be a baroque princess from a 18th century Vienna court, I do not care of the opinions of other people.
    OMG, no. I really don't like Austria. I even like more Serbia/Romania than Austria.

There is nothing wrong to popularize southeastern Europe insted of ugly balkan

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    saxon
    Ethnicity
    Romanian-American
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stearsolina View Post
    OMG, no. I really don't like Austria. I even like more Serbia/Romania than Austria.

There is nothing wrong to popularize southeastern Europe insted of ugly balkan
    Like it was explained before to you by Grimes, the origin of the word does not matter.If you think that Balkans is not about Geography, but about mentality, then stop posting crap on internet forums, put your hands on a shovel and start working to prove that you are above your neighbors, but if you are like me, and the rest of the world, that believes that Balkans is a geographic term, then why this thread even exists?

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Like it was explained before to you by Grimes, the origin of the word does not matter.If you think that Balkans is not about Geography, but about mentality, then stop posting crap on internet forums, put your hands on a shovel and start working to prove that you are above your neighbors, but if you are like me, and the rest of the world, that believes that Balkans is a geographic term, then why this thread even exists?
    Do you work in construction ? Sorry, I am law graduate, I don't work with my hands.

And no, it was never only geographic term. Repeating it tousand times won't change that. Let's take a look what famous Britannica says about Balkans:

''At the close of the first decade of the 21st century, the prospects for peace, stability, and economic prosperity for the peoples of the Balkans had improved significantly. NATO and, more importantly, the EU expanded their influence in the area by offering membership to an increasing number of Balkan states. The successful continuation of this process holds out hope that notions of “primitive Balkan mentalities” and “age-old Balkan hatreds” would soon be consigned to the dustbin of history''

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    saxon
    Ethnicity
    Romanian-American
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Do you work in construction ? Sorry, I am law graduate, I don't work with my hands.

And no, it was never only geographic term. Repeating it tousand times won't change that. Let's take a look what famous Britannica says about Balkans:

''At the close of the first decade of the 21st century, the prospects for peace, stability, and economic prosperity for the peoples of the Balkans had improved significantly. NATO and, more importantly, the EU expanded their influence in the area by offering membership to an increasing number of Balkan states. The successful continuation of this process holds out hope that notions of “primitive Balkan mentalities” and “age-old Balkan hatreds” would soon be consigned to the dustbin of history''
    It was an expression dear.It means that you have to prove your worth.We are not stuck in 19th century.Balkans is a geographic term today , reffering to Balkan Peninsula, more precise the Danube–Sava–Soča border.And if you so like Britannica, here are the Balkan states according to Encyclopædia Britannica

>I really don't like Austria. I even like more Serbia/Romania than Austria.

Its because of your insecurities, you think that a country like Croatia cannot hate a lower country like Serbia/Romania.A country like Croatia can only hate big players like Austria,Italy, if possible Germany etc
    You are simply trying to make me feel more empathy about your case.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

^^^^ here is another interesting piece of text from Britanica

''The states that emerged from Ottoman domination—Serbia, Albania, Bulgaria, and, to a lesser extent, Romania—were therefore less developed and poor. Into them were now merged former Russian or Austro-Hungarian territories, some (though not all) of which were more developed. Slovenia, Croatia, and Transylvania had more developed intelligentsias, more efficient and honest bureaucracies, an emerging economic infrastructure, and extensive and frequently profitable trade links with other parts of the empire. These relatively prosperous and advanced areas were now subjected to political cultures that they could regard only as more primitive and less honest. Furthermore, those political cultures were becoming more inclined to centralism rather than the devolution that the new provinces would have preferred. Herein lay the origin of many of the problems that beset interwar Yugoslavia and Romania.''

Is Britanica looking down on you too ? And no, I don't dislike Romania. Croats have no reason to dislike it. If you think low of your country and origins, and try to present as Saxon, that means you have serious psychological problems.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    saxon
    Ethnicity
    Romanian-American
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

^^^^ here is another interesting piece of text from Britanica

''The states that emerged from Ottoman domination—Serbia, Albania, Bulgaria, and, to a lesser extent, Romania—were therefore less developed and poor. Into them were now merged former Russian or Austro-Hungarian territories, some (though not all) of which were more developed. Slovenia, Croatia, and Transylvania had more developed intelligentsias, more efficient and honest bureaucracies, an emerging economic infrastructure, and extensive and frequently profitable trade links with other parts of the empire. These relatively prosperous and advanced areas were now subjected to political cultures that they could regard only as more primitive and less honest. Furthermore, those political cultures were becoming more inclined to centralism rather than the devolution that the new provinces would have preferred. Herein lay the origin of many of the problems that beset interwar Yugoslavia and Romania.''

Is Britanica looking down on you too ? And no, I don't dislike Romania. Croats have no reason to dislike it. If you think low of your country and origins, and try to present as Saxon, that means you have serious psychological problems.
    I dont care that Britannica is looking down on Romania.I am for the absolute truth, not a subjective person like you.
    Grow up.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I dont care that Britannica is looking down on Romania.I am for the absolute truth, not a subjective person like you.
    Grow up.
    Than why are you writing on this forum ? Here write people who are interested what rest of Europe think about them. If you don't care, no point to stay here.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    saxon
    Ethnicity
    Romanian-American
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

That why are you writing on this forum ? Here write people who are interested what rest of Europe think about them. If you don't care, no point to stay here.
    Is that all you can do?I am simply stating my factual opinion, on a forum.Are you out of arguments, dear?

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Is that all you can do?I am simply stating my factual opinion, on a forum.Are you out of arguments, dear?
    I'm suprised how can simple innocent thread like this upset so many souls
    Do you feel attacked or something ?

Page 53 of 59 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657 ... LastLast

Thread Information