View Poll Results: Do you think it's 'okay' or 'right' for women to fight on the battlefield?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think women can fight on the battlefield, and should be able to fight if they want to

7 53.85%
  • No, women have no place on the battlefield, it should be prohibited or at least frowned upon

5 38.46%
  • Other, explain

1 7.69%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do women have a place in the battlefield?

Kouros

0 Not allowed!

Default Do women have a place in the battlefield?

Question is straight-forward, do you think women have a place in wars or the battlefield? Why or why not? If you are a female would you consider going as far as some of these examples?

For example the Amazons are described as fearless and aggressive. They were so strong that at one point King Iobates, wanting Bellerophon killed, sent him against the Amazons.

"The Amazones of the Doiantian plain were by no means gentle, well-conducted folk; they were brutal and aggressive, and their main concern in life was war. War, indeed, was in their blood, daughters of Ares as they were and of the Nymphe Harmonia, who lay with the god in the depths of the Akmonion Wood and bore him girls who fell in love with fighting."

Of course there was Joan of Arc as well. At the age of 16, according to Jean de Metz, she told nobleman Robert de Baudricourt that "I must be at the King's side ... there will be no help (for the kingdom) if not from me. Although I would rather have remained spinning [wool] at my mother's side ... yet must I go and must I do this thing, for my Lord wills that I do so."

"Her call to ‘Follow me,’ even when headed into certain danger, would be heeded willingly by men who would not have followed a grizzled veteran on such occasions."

There were Greek independence war heroes that were women as well.

Laskarina Bouboulina for example

"She bought arms and ammunition at her own expense and brought them secretly to Spetses in her ships, to fight "for the sake of my nation" Construction of the ship Agamemnon was finished in 1820. She bribed Turkish officials to ignore the ship's size and it was later one of the largest warships in the hands of Greek rebels. She also organized her own armed troops, composed of men from Spetses. She used most of her fortune to provide food and ammunition for the sailors and soldiers under her command."

Manto Mavrogenou was a rich women born to a family from the Filiki Eteria who spent every single last penny to her name freeing Greece from the Ottomans. Her Mother even disowned her for this.

Saint Olga of Kiev, who completely annihilated the tribe that killed her husband, the Drevlians. Now she was one badass bitch.

"The Drevlians sent twenty of their best men to persuade Olga to marry their Prince Mal and give up her rule of Kievan Rus'. She had them buried alive. Then she sent word to Prince Mal that she accepted the proposal, but required their most distinguished men to accompany her on the journey in order for her people to accept the offer of marriage. The Drevlians sent the best men who governed their land. Upon their arrival, she offered them a warm welcome and an invitation to clean up after their long journey in a bathhouse. After they entered, she locked the doors and set fire to the building, burning them alive."

"Now Olga gave to each soldier in her army a pigeon or a sparrow, and ordered them to attach by thread to each bird a piece of sulfur bound with small pieces of cloth. When night fell, Olga bade her soldiers release the pigeons and the sparrows. So the birds flew to their nests, the pigeons to the cotes, and the sparrows under the eaves. The dove-cotes, the coops, the porches, and the haymows were set on fire. There was not a house that was not consumed, and it was impossible to extinguish the flames because all the houses caught on fire at once. The people fled from the city, and Olga ordered her soldiers to catch them. Thus she took the city and burned it, and captured the elders of the city. Some of the other captives she killed, while some she gave as slaves to her followers. The remnant she left to pay tribute."

Last edited by Kouros; 02-04-2018 at 02:41 AM.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    12-22-2023 @ 01:20 PM
    Ethnicity
    Србин
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,173
    Given: 5,255

0 Not allowed!

Fuck thats a hard question lol

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Român
    Country
    Romania
    Y-DNA
    R1a-Z280
    mtDNA
    H5b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,638
    Given: 2,442

0 Not allowed!

No.

Kouros

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Pill View Post
    No.
    What if they were proficient in combat (whatever the battle in question might involve) and on par with male contemporaries?

Or how about just as a leader, not involved physically in combat?

Kouros

0 Not allowed!

Bump

Banned
    Last Online
    02-21-2018 @ 02:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    lol
    Country
    Belgium
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 205
    Given: 101

0 Not allowed!

Obviously the answer is "yes". if a woman feels like serving in the army then why not? Her salary should depend on whatever role she's filling. If she is for example a front line soldier then I think she should earn as little or as much as men do.

When it comes to conscription armies: I don't see any reason why women are excluded from it tbh. Why should men risk their lives while serving and not women? it doesn't sound fair to me.

Last Online
    01-30-2019 @ 04:41 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Thraco-Illyrian
    Ethnicity
    Gheg Albanian
    Ancestry
    Dinaric alps/northern Albania
    Country
    England
    Region
    City of London
    Y-DNA
    J1-ZS241, Maternal Ydna: E-V13>CTS5856*
    mtDNA
    T1a1l
    Taxonomy
    Dinaro-Pontid + CM
    Hero
    Gjergj Kastrioti-Skanderbeg, Alexander the Great, Isa Boletini
    Religion
    Albanianism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,495
    Given: 3,850

0 Not allowed!

I don’t think so as physically they aren’t suited to such conditions although there are exceptions
    23andme: 100% Balkan https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...3andme-results

MyOrigins 2.0: 100% Southeast Europe

Geneplaza K25: 100% Greek-Albanian

Eurogenes K36 oracle: 50.64% Albania_North+ 49.36% Kosovo. Population distance: 1) 1.27 Northern Albania&Kosovo

Ydna: J1-ZS241

Maternal Ydna: E-V13>CTS5856*

The Albanians, these tigers of mountain wars ... have as their religion rebellion. Even their worst warrior is one of the strongest and bravest on the battle-field, just as if he was a knight on the legendary horse. But he has no horse, nor proper weapons for battle. Instead of the horse, he has a lance which strikes as lightning, he has spears who's points are full of posion as the sting of hornets, he has also a wooden bow with some arrows. Furthermore, he is stronger than iron ...

- Ibn Kemal, Historian of the Turkish court during Skanderbeg's war against the Turks.

Kouros

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Acquisit0r View Post
    Obviously the answer is "yes". if a woman feels like serving in the army then why not? Her salary should depend on whatever role she's filling. If she is for example a front line soldier then I think she should earn as little or as much as men do.

When it comes to conscription armies: I don't see any reason why women are excluded from it tbh. Why should men risk their lives while serving and not women? it doesn't sound fair to me.
    The notion that women shouldn't lead or fight in battles mostly revolves around gender roles though. And in return this gender role is based on the fact that women are genetically predisposed to being physically weaker than men (lower testosterone levels).

Age and gender comparisons of muscle strength in 654 women and men aged 20–93 yr

Quote Originally Posted by Kelmendasi View Post
    I don’t think so as physically they aren’t suited to such conditions although there are exceptions
    Do you think the exception should be allowed if they are able to prove themselves?

Kouros

0 Not allowed!

According to that study Men have a peak torque nearly twice that of their female counterparts.

Last Online
    04-09-2019 @ 02:14 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sinid
    Ethnicity
    Han Chinese
    Ancestry
    The Celestial Empire
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    mtDNA
    You can mtDNA this!
    Taxonomy
    Nordsinid/Tungid
    Hero
    Yo momma last night
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28,799
    Given: 25,904

0 Not allowed!

Not the vast majority. Maybe a small minority.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information