Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Assyrian: What language does it sound like to you?

Last Online
    04-29-2018 @ 08:25 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    West Eurasian
    Ethnicity
    Arabophone
    Ancestry
    50%North-Europe (Sweden and Ulster Scot)31,25%North-Africa 12,5%Sudanese Arab 6,25%Turkey, traces of
    Country
    Tunisia
    Y-DNA
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA
    L2a
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 171

0 Not allowed!

Arabic is way softer and good sounding than Assyrian the sound (kh) is seldom used in Arabik listen to this Arabik dialect from my hometown

Last edited by dddcc; 02-09-2018 at 07:21 PM.
    1/Orcadian+Morocco+Morocco_Jew+Orkney@0.78 DODECAD9. 2/Jew_France+Moroccan+CEU+Ukrainian-Center@0.92 MDLP.
    3/Egyptian+Irish+Lithuanian+Moroccan @ 1.24 DODECAD K7B. 4/Ashkenazim_V+Bulgarian+Moroccan+Swedish_V @ 1.33 MDLP. 5/BedouinA+German_North+Scottish_West+Tunisian@1.35 punt12.
    Ch#4{my highest SSA Ch};Finn+HungaryGam+Somali+SwedeSkog@7.16
    Ch#5{my unique Ch showing South Asian};HungaryGa+RISE_baUne+Tajik_Pomiri+Tunisian@ 5.59
    Ch#13{my lowest SSA Ch};Ashkenazi+Cyprus+Stuttgart+SwedeSkog@4.012556

Last Online
    03-02-2024 @ 11:09 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Upper Mesopotamian
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian, Georgian Jewish, minor Armenian
    Ancestry
    Chalcolithic Armenia (EHG), Anatolian Neolithic Farmer (AHG), Copper Age Zagros, Canaan, Urartu, Ass
    Country
    Australia
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Irreligious
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,784
    Given: 10,478

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by McCree900 View Post
    The guy speaks sounds more closer to Arabic than to Hebrew since he pronounce certain sounds like 7a and 3a sounds without any trouble.
    Yep. He's speaking in Turoyo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turoyo), which is a western Assyrian language that's mostly unintelligible to us. We speak Assyrian Neo-Aramaic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assyrian_Neo-Aramaic). They do fequently use the 7a/3a sounds, unlike us. Although formal or classical Assyrian speech may use 3a. Chaldean Neo-Aramaic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaldean_Neo-Aramaic), which is a dialect of Assyrian, also uses 3a/7a sounds, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumata View Post
    It sounds like German.
    When it comes to European languages, I would say Dutch and Irish/Scottish Gaelic more.

Pashto does sound Assyrian if you're hearing it echoing from the next room. Even I was like "are they speaking Assyrian?". It's amazing, because it's a completely unrelated language (Indo Iranian - Indo European). I'm guessing they just have similar pronunciations and "melody" to our language.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-06-2021 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,828
    Given: 24,541

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Shelati View Post
    Yep. He's speaking in Turoyo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turoyo), which is a western Assyrian language that's mostly unintelligible to us. We speak Assyrian Neo-Aramaic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assyrian_Neo-Aramaic). They do fequently use the 7a/3a sounds, unlike us. Although formal or classical Assyrian speech may use 3a. Chaldean Neo-Aramaic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaldean_Neo-Aramaic), which is a dialect of Assyrian, also uses 3a/7a sounds, btw.

When it comes to European languages, I would say Dutch and Irish/Scottish Gaelic more.

Pashto does sound Assyrian if you're hearing it echoing from the next room. Even I was like "are they speaking Assyrian?". It's amazing, because it's a completely unrelated language (Indo Iranian - Indo European). I'm guessing they just have similar pronunciations and "melody" to our language.
    Dayum, I never knew that it was that different. I think it's unintelligible as those Arabic speakers from Egypt and the Middle east couldn't understand the Maghareb(Libyans, Moroccans, Tunisians and Algerians) peoples speak Arabic regardless on the fact that Maghrebi Arabic is considered to be "dialects" of the Arabic language. I wonder if that's simply because that western Aramaic had preserved many of it's ancient Semitic sounds that were lost in many modern Semitic languages like Hebrew and so on?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40,067
    Given: 10,740

1 Not allowed!

Hebrew.

Last Online
    03-02-2024 @ 11:09 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Upper Mesopotamian
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian, Georgian Jewish, minor Armenian
    Ancestry
    Chalcolithic Armenia (EHG), Anatolian Neolithic Farmer (AHG), Copper Age Zagros, Canaan, Urartu, Ass
    Country
    Australia
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Irreligious
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,784
    Given: 10,478

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by McCree900 View Post
    Dayum, I never knew that it was that different. I think it's unintelligible as those Arabic speakers from Egypt and the Middle east couldn't understand the Maghareb(Libyans, Moroccans, Tunisians and Algerians) peoples speak Arabic regardless on the fact that Maghrebi Arabic is considered to be "dialects" of the Arabic language. I wonder if that's simply because that western Aramaic had preserved many of it's ancient Semitic sounds that were lost in many modern Semitic languages like Hebrew and so on?
    To Assyrian Neo-Aramaic, Chaldean is mostly intelligible and even some of those Jewish Aramaic dialects (say they're around 55% intelligible). Western Assyrian or Turoyo is only like 25% intelligible. I'm not sure, but I think they are as unintelligible to us as Maghreb Arabic is to Middle Easterners? Don't know.

Western Assyrian does indeed have more classical Syriac words and less Iranian loanwaords, although we have more Akkadian words. They also use a lot of "o" sounds. Many words end in "o" in Turoyo, whilst ours end in "a" (oromoyo/aramaya, oroboyo/arabaya, suroyo/suraya). They also turn every P sound to F (shapira/shafiro - this means "beautiful"). We do have a similar vocabulary. But within the context of speech, Western Assyrian sounds muddled and incomprehensible. In short, it's more intelligible if you read it than hear it.

Western Aramaic is a completely different language unrelated to Assyrian, btw (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Neo-Aramaic). It's a critically endangered language spoken in Lebanon and Syria. It is not to be confused with Western Assyrian (Turoyo/Suroyo), which is an eastern Aramaic language (like ours), but just spoken in the western periphery.
    Last edited by Zroota; 02-10-2018 at 03:29 AM.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-06-2021 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,828
    Given: 24,541

1 Not allowed!

To Assyrian Neo-Aramaic, Chaldean is mostly intelligible and even some of those Jewish Aramaic dialects (say they're around 55% intelligible). Western Assyrian or Turoyo is only like 25% intelligible. I'm not sure, but I think they are as unintelligible to us as Maghreb Arabic is to Middle Easterners? Don't know. Western Assyrian does indeed have more classical Syriac words and less Iranian loanwaords, although we have more Akkadian words.

Western Aramaic is a completely different language btw unrelated to Assyrian btw (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Neo-Aramaic). It's a critically endangered language spoken in Lebanon and Syria. It is not to be confused with Western Assyrian (Turoyo/Suroyo).
    Like, I don't understand when the Maghreb people speak to me Arabic in their native dialects. I think the Maghrebi Arabic has heavy Berber influence or something. Yeah, my half paternal uncle, who is half Palestinian half Syrian from the village of Ma3loula, told me that he couldn't understand anything from Assyrians or "Ashuriyeen" or "the people of Ashur" in Arabic when they speak to him Aramaic in their native dialects.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Martian From Venus
    Ethnicity
    Hunbritarian
    Ancestry
    TheHuns
    Country
    Austria
    Y-DNA
    I2
    mtDNA
    H1m
    Taxonomy
    Killer
    Politics
    Hero
    Jesus
    Religion
    Philippians 4.13
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,632
    Given: 13,521

0 Not allowed!

It sounds a lot like Hebrew to me, which is a sister language to it anyway, so I guess that makes sense (speech starts at 12 seconds).

my first impression is that it reminds me a bit of Arabic, it has some similiar harshness sounds in it as Arabic .

Hatchling
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Central European
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,880
    Given: 7,415

3 Not allowed!

It's amazing how the Assyrians managed to keep their ethnic identity intact and continue identifying as ethnic Assyrian (as opposed to ethnic Aramean) despite having their Akkadian language replaced with Aramaic. The only other instance I know of where a similar thing occurred is among the East Frisians of northwest Lower Saxony (Germany) who speak Saxon but identify as ethnic Frisian rather than ethnic Saxon. It would have been cool if a Babylonian identity still remained in South Iraq or if some Arabized peoples kept their ancient identities after losing their language.

Last Online
    02-24-2018 @ 12:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    sinic
    Country
    Micronesia
    Y-DNA
    c3 (genghis khan)
    mtDNA
    g1
    Politics
    rightish, anti-globalist
    Religion
    non-religious
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 174
    Given: 733

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mingle View Post

All words where "ch" is pronounced like a "k" are Greek loanwords where the "ch" was used to represent the Greek /x/ sound e.g. Christian, chemistry, etc. The reason that "ch" was used to represent /x/ is because the "c" used to only make the /k/ sound (rather than the /k/ and /s/ like it does today) and the letter "k" didn't exist back then.
    also because the greek letter χ was pronounced like /kʰ/ in classical times when it was borrowed into latin and transcribed as "ch". where as later in greek the letter χ has changed to the /x/ sound.

Last Online
    02-24-2018 @ 12:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    sinic
    Country
    Micronesia
    Y-DNA
    c3 (genghis khan)
    mtDNA
    g1
    Politics
    rightish, anti-globalist
    Religion
    non-religious
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 174
    Given: 733

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mingle View Post
    It's amazing how the Assyrians managed to keep their ethnic identity intact and continue identifying as ethnic Assyrian (as opposed to ethnic Aramean) despite having their Akkadian language replaced with Aramaic. The only other instance I know of where a similar thing occurred is among the East Frisians of northwest Lower Saxony (Germany) who speak Saxon but identify as ethnic Frisian rather than ethnic Saxon. It would have been cool if a Babylonian identity still remained in South Iraq or if some Arabized peoples kept their ancient identities after losing their language.
    i think it's a shame that some of the worlds oldest cultures like the babylonians or egyptians are lost because they were arabized

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information