Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rainfall in Europe (also comparison and infos for all the world)

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    02-07-2024 @ 07:17 PM
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Dalmatia
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,636
    Given: 40

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jana View Post
    ^^^^Rijeka is most rainy big city in Croatia, it has more annual rainfall than London.
    Rain in Rijeka in winter is almost every day, right?

Risnjak gets around 3600 mm on average https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risnja...l_Park#Climate
    Probably there are some places in Gorski Kotar which are even wetter than Risnjak.
    According to some meteorologists the wettest place in Croatia is southern Velebeit with + 4000 mm on average annual. There is no meteorological station there, and this are estimates.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,720
    Given: 43,625

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pribislav View Post
    Rain in Rijeka in winter is almost every day, right?

Risnjak gets around 3600 mm on average https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risnja...l_Park#Climate
    Probably there are some places in Gorski Kotar which are even wetter than Risnjak.
    According to some meteorologists the wettest place in Croatia is southern Velebeit with + 4000 mm on average annual. There is no meteorological station there, and this are estimates.
    Yes, even in summer it isn't rare. This summer entire August was rainy according to what I hear from my friends there. From October to April there is almost constant rain.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Dalmatia
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Yes, even in summer it isn't rare. This summer entire August was rainy according to what I hear from my friends there. From October to April there is almost constant rain.
    Bay of Kotor has even more rain than Rijeka.
    My aunt spend most of year in Stoliv in Bay of Kotor, and in winter there is rain almost every day in large quantities. In summer is better, there no to much rain except few thunderstorms.
    Adriatic could be very depressed in winter time.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Bay of Kotor has even more rain than Rijeka.
    My aunt spend most of year in Stoliv in Bay of Kotor, and in winter there is rain almost every day in large quantities. In summer is better, there no to much rain except few thunderstorms.
    Adriatic could be very depressed in winter time.
    Yes, due to huge mountains around Kotor Bay, it looks like Norwegian fjord. In Rijeka lot of rain due to Učka mountain and Gorski kotar in neighbourhood.

Depressive is exact world how I'd describe Adriatic in winter. Rainy, gray, no snow at all, not even properly cold but freezing bura wind, humid. Fuj. That is why I always wanted to move to Panonnia, it has much better climate imo (4 seasons) .Only summer there is too humid/hot.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Dalmatia
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Yes, due to huge mountains around Kotor Bay, it looks like Norwegian fjord. In Rijeka lot of rain due to Učka mountain and Gorski kotar in neighbourhood.

Depressive is exact world how I'd describe Adriatic in winter. Rainy, gray, no snow at all, not even properly cold but freezing bura wind, humid. Fuj. That is why I always wanted to move to Panonnia, it has much better climate imo (4 seasons) .Only summer there is too humid/hot.
    My mother lived in Rijeka during the studies. She said that snow is rare in Rijeka, and when it falls quickly disappears. She went to her friend in Moravice in Gorski Kotar and there was a lot of snow, in the same time in Rijeka there is no snow at all and it was quite warmer. Interesting how much Rijeka and Istria are different in climate (warmer) than Gorski Kotar and Lika, and these regions are located close. This is due to Velebit which does not allow to influence of Med climate to Lika and Gorski Kotar.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

My mother lived in Rijeka during the studies. She said that snow is rare in Rijeka, and when it falls quickly disappears. She went to her friend in Moravice in Gorski Kotar and there was a lot of snow, in the same time in Rijeka there is no snow at all and it was quite warmer. Interesting how much Rijeka and Istria are different in climate (warmer) than Gorski Kotar and Lika, and these regions are located close. This is due to Velebit which does not allow to influence of Med climate to Lika and Gorski Kotar.
    Yes, you can ski in Gorski kotar while overlooking Adriatic. This is from Platak, ski resort 30 mns by car from Rijeka

Photo of Rijeka without snow with snowy Platak in the background:

Btw, this you know there exist Serbs native to Gorski kotar ? There are two Moravice settlements, I think they live in Brod Moravice (not sure)

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Dalmatia
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Yes, you can ski in Gorski kotar while overlooking Adriatic. This is from Platak, ski resort 30 mns by car from Rijeka

Photo of Rijeka without snow with snowy Platak in the background:

Btw, this you know there exist Serbs native to Gorski kotar ? There are two Moravice settlements, I think they live in Brod Moravice (not sure)
    There is native Serbs in Gorski Kotar. My mother know few Serbs from Moravice and Gomirje. I know one Serbian guy which have origin from Gorski Kotar.
    Serbian Orthodox monastery Gomirje was founded around 1600 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gomirje_Monastery

Serbs in Gorski Kotar were always in minority and many Serbs don't know that there was native Serbs in Gorski Kotar

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

There is native Serbs in Gorski Kotar. My mother know few Serbs from Moravice and Gomirje. I know one Serbian guy which have origin from Gorski Kotar.
    Serbian Orthodox monastery Gomirje was founded around 1600 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gomirje_Monastery

Serbs in Gorski Kotar were always in minority and many Serbs don't know that there was native Serbs in Gorski Kotar
    It would be interesting to see gedmatch of Gorski Kotar Serbs, they can potentially be most northern shifted Serbs if they mixed with Croats, Slovenians and Germans of the area.
    Croats of Gorski kotar are much more similar to Slovenians than to Croats from Lika, so maybe with Serbs it can be similar...

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Dalmatia
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

It would be interesting to see gedmatch of Gorski Kotar Serbs, they can potentially be most northern shifted Serbs if they mixed with Croats, Slovenians and Germans of the area.
    Croats of Gorski kotar are much more similar to Slovenians than to Croats from Lika, so maybe with Serbs it can be similar...
    I did not see autosomal result of any Serb from Gorski Kotar for now.
    I know one Serbian family from Drežnica (Drežnica is Lika, but it's close to Gorski Kotar). One guy from that family went to elementary school with me, and his brother is older few years. Both of them has dark blonde hair and blue eyes, but they have different features. Younger guy look East Slavic, some kind of Balid. Older guy looks western, like German or something. They are R1b.
    Guy which originated from Gorski Kotar (I mentioned him earlier) has brown hair, light brown eyes, usual South Slavic looks... He is I1.

From what I know there is only 3 tested Serbs from Gorski Kotat on y dna: 1 I2-PH908, 1 I1 and 1 R1b.
    Last edited by Pribislav; 09-27-2018 at 05:46 PM.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-23-2024 @ 01:01 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian + Iranian
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia, Iran and Caucasus
    Country
    Norway
    Region