Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,552
    Given: 29,000

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aren View Post
    From the same study they try to fit Norwegians using the same populations + the Brits/Irish. The results being that the best fit(even if it's overfitting) is, depending on the region ~50-60% Danish + 20-25% Polish + 5-10% French + 10-15% Spanish. Maybe that fit was something like 0,01% perfect fit even though it makes little sense why Norwegians should be labeled like that. Instead modelling them as 50% Danish + 50% Swedish would end up being a 0,05% fit which is still very close and a lot more believeable. To me these kind of modelling doesn't really show anything. In the study they wanted to modell the Norwegians to see if there was Irish admix in them, but that's not really a good method. Are they gonna say that there's Polish admix in Norwegians just because the best fit inlcudes a big chunk of Polish DNA? No that's absurd

Attachment 73094
    Can you state what it is you don't agree with in these studies? As I'm not a geneticist I can't address some of your questions but if you look at history regarding Ireland and Britain the information fits. It is also compelling that they date the Norse admixture in Ireland to the time of the Vikings. They also date the British component in Northern Ireland to the time of the Plantations.

They also have done a study on the Icelandics which hopefully will be published this year so that should add more information as they have y and mtdna and autosomal in that study so more information will be coming out by default about the Irish and Scottish Isles.

I do understand what you are saying about the Norwegian breakdown as based on history they haven't received a lot of input from Poles for example.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    12-30-2023 @ 01:53 AM
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,673
    Given: 882

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    Regarding your issue about distinguishing different Scandinavian dna why do some areas have more of that Norse component if they are all the same and less of the German/Danish? It appears logical to me that there would be small differences in the dna of the Norse, Swedes and Danes. I doubt they are all the same. I would think the Danes would be more similar to Germans and the Swedes would be a bit more east shifted. Also there are apparently differences between West and East Norwegians so I don't agree that they can't distinguish populations.
    That's my point the differences are small, but they show up in these studies where the scientist are trying to get the best fit so thesse small differences matter here. Having Danish, Anglo-Saxon or Norwegian DNA is practically the same from a genetical view point.
    And from looking through many, many Scandinavian Gedmatch results I can tell you that the only outliers are far Northern Swedes/Norwegians and certain Eastern Swedes from Svealand. The rest are nearly identical.

Anyways I'm happy they are doing all these studies on Brits and Irishmen, the picture is starting to shape up good ever since the Bell Beaker study was released. Then you have other countries like France that we basically know nothing about. Even the French sample in this study was from a hospital in Rennes and their patients were not picked out regarding to ethnicity or ancestry as that's illegal.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    12-30-2023 @ 01:53 AM
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,673
    Given: 882

0 Not allowed!

Can you state what it is you don't agree with in these studies? As I'm not a geneticist I can't address some of your questions but if you look at history regarding Ireland and Britain the information fits. It is also compelling that they date the Norse admixture in Ireland to the time of the Vikings. They also date the British component in Northern Ireland to the time of the Plantations.

They also have done a study on the Icelandics which hopefully will be published this year so that should add more information as they have y and mtdna and autosomal in that study so more information will be coming out by default about the Irish and Scottish Isles.

I do understand what you are saying about the Norwegian breakdown as based on history they haven't received a lot of input from Poles for example.
    Modelling is not the same as actual admixture that's my point. In Norwegians that 40-50% bit of Polish, French, Germand and Spanish maybe ended up being Scandinavian-like better than actually using Danes or Swedes since you are using more than one population to fit them which is easier ofc.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,552
    Given: 29,000

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aren View Post
    That's my point the differences are small, but they show up in these studies where the scientist are trying to get the best fit so thesse small differences matter here. Having Danish, Anglo-Saxon or Norwegian DNA is practically the same from a genetical view point.
    And from looking through many, many Scandinavian Gedmatch results I can tell you that the only outliers are far Northern Swedes/Norwegians and certain Eastern Swedes from Svealand. The rest are nearly identical.

Anyways I'm happy they are doing all these studies on Brits and Irishmen, the picture is starting to shape up good ever since the Bell Beaker study was released. Then you have other countries like France that we basically know nothing about. Even the French sample in this study was from a hospital in Rennes and their patients were not picked out regarding to ethnicity or ancestry as that's illegal.
    Thanks Aren for the interesting discussion. You obviously know a bit more about modelling and the techniques than I do. I agree about France. It's frustrating that there isn't a good genetic study on such an important population as the French. Why doesn't the French government allow these scientific genetic studies? It's really anti-scientific.

Last Online
    Today @ 08:22 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Irish Republican
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,485
    Given: 5,019

1 Not allowed!

I agree about France. It's frustrating that there isn't a good genetic study on such an important population as the French. Why doesn't the French government allow these scientific genetic studies? It's really anti-scientific.
    I think it is just basic political correctness. The French government apparently believes that everyone born in France is French regardless of ancestry.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    01-26-2024 @ 10:12 AM
    Ethnicity
    White British
    Ancestry
    Ancestors so far from England,Scotland and Ireland.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA
    E-Z16664
    mtDNA
    H67
    Politics
    left wing
    Hero
    Martin Luther King
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,297
    Given: 73

0 Not allowed!

Could you do mine- M812599? Thank you.
    23andMe
    MDLP K23B: Dutch + German-Volga + Scottish_Argyll_Bute_GBR + Scottish_Argyll_Bute_GBR @ 1.880189
    Eurogenes K13:Southeast_English + West_Scottish + West_Scottish + West_Scottish @ 2.292434
    Dodecad v3:CEU + CEU + German + Orkney @ 1.508807
    Harappaworld:n-european + n-european + orcadian + utahn-white @ 1.186455
    puntDNAL K12 modern:Czech + Dutch_South + English_South + English_South @ 1.900828

Not even a member
    Last Online
    04-23-2024 @ 10:45 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Indo-European, Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Brunei
    Region
    Russian Turkestan General Governorship
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP270
    Religion
    Orthodox
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,591
    Given: 8,909

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by celticdragongod View Post
    I think it is just basic political correctness. The French government apparently believes that everyone born in France is French regardless of ancestry.
    Actually they were the first to declare that a nation should be based solely on nationality. I didn't know though they didn't allow genetic studies on the French people.

Last Online
    Today @ 09:11 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Insular Celt
    Country
    Scotland
    Region
    Scotland
    Y-DNA
    R-L21+ L1065+
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1e
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,155
    Given: 1,287

0 Not allowed!

Could you do mine too please. Is the K15 enough or do you need my Gedmatch number? Thanks in advance.
    My K15

Admix Results (sorted):

# Population Percent
    1 North_Sea 36.09
    2 Atlantic 32.33
    3 Baltic 12.09
    4 Eastern_Euro 8.40
    5 West_Asian 5.60
    6 West_Med 4.25

Last Online
    05-26-2023 @ 09:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    Britannic
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,797
    Given: 5,979

0 Not allowed!

The kind of studies you've been discussing can tell us (approximately) where a population's DNA has come from but not when and so historical events are still up for a lot of speculation. We still cannot say with much certainty whether AngloSaxon admixture in England is closer to 50% or 15% since the German/Danish DNA could have come in the Bronze and/or Iron Age(s).

Another thing they don't tell us is how much of a population's DNA is natively generated. Places like Britain and Ireland are bound to have had their own characteristic DNA mutations.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information