Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: How come Catholics haven't assimilated well into American society?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,561
    Given: 29,007

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Martnen View Post
    When you talk, does it sound more Irish or Australian?
    I've got an odd accent. Some people think I'm from the west country in England like Somerset. It's a combination of Irish and Aussie. In Ireland they think I'm Australian and in Australia they aren't quite sure. English people can usually pick I'm Irish though.

Banned
    Last Online
    11-04-2018 @ 05:43 PM
    Ethnicity
    Cuban
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Florida
    Hero
    Tony Montana
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,295
    Given: 26,310

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    I've got an odd accent. Some people think I'm from the west country in England like Somerset. It's a combination of Irish and Aussie. In Ireland they think I'm Australian and in Australia they aren't quite sure. English people can usually pick I'm Irish though.
    Top of the morning to ya, mate! Care for a shamrock shake and some vegemite?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

No one in Ireland says "top of the morning to ya". I think that must be from some American movie.

Banned
    Last Online
    11-04-2018 @ 05:43 PM
    Ethnicity
    Cuban
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Florida
    Hero
    Tony Montana
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,295
    Given: 26,310

0 Not allowed!

No one in Ireland says "top of the morning to ya". I think that must be from some American movie.
    Do you really have shamrock shakes there, or is that also American?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Do you really have shamrock shakes there, or is that also American?
    Nope. That's an American thing as well. A lot of the fiddly dee stuff is American and is why Irish people get a bit pissed off with it. It's always funny listening to Americans attempt to do an Irish accent. They always raise their voice a few octaves.

Слава Путину! Я люблю Россию. Z
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 04:57 AM
    From Dorset, but live in the City of Westminster (Central London)
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    English, 1/8 Welsh, 1/16 Western Irish.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,554
    Given: 27,895

3 Not allowed!

'Top of the morning' Did you mean 'G'day, mate?' I wouldn't call a female as 'mate' though. It's kind of like saying 'buddy' in the US.

'Mate' and 'ya' are English and Aussie slang, rather than Irish terms.

Baileys and Guinness are Irish .... but I've never heard of 'Shamrock Shake'. I've just looked it up and it's an American milkshake that's sold in McDonalds: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamrock_Shake

Vegemite isn't Irish. It's the Aussie version of Marmite (a yeast and vitamin B extract spread that's popular in Great Britain, South Africa, and New Zealand.)

Marmite: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite (The Swiss have a similar product called Cenovis, and the Germans have a similar product called Vitam-R.)

Vegemite: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite

Vegemite (prominent in Australia) doesn't taste as strong as Marmite (prominent in Great Britain,) so you may prefer Vegemite over Marmite if you're not acquired to the taste from an early age.

In the UK, infants are even tested on their Britishness by their parents giving them marmite smeared very lightly on toast to see if they like it... (it's rich in B vitamins!) We have a saying in Great Britain about Marmite;- 'you either love it or hate it!'

Vegemite is the Aussie version.

I love seeing American peoples facial reactions when they try either Marmite or Vegemite for the first time... (They make a mistake of spreading it way too thickly though, when it's only supposed to be spread very thinly and lightly on toast.) In the UK, infants like it spread lightly onto strips of sliced toast and served with a boiled egg to dip it into, which we call as 'egg n' soldiers' as kids.

1:54... it's interesting seeing the facial reactions of toddlers when they're trying either Marmite or Vegemite for the first time.

Sorry, it's OT, but it's funny...
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 03-17-2018 at 12:01 PM. Reason: typo
    ❀♫ ღ ♬ ♪ And the angle of the sun changed it all. ❀¸.•*¨♥✿ 🎶

Banned
    Last Online
    03-25-2018 @ 10:43 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 16

1 Not allowed!

LOL! Catholics don't put the Vatican ahead of their national Governments nor do Catholics in the US put the Vatican ahead of the US. You have many great Catholic soldiers that have fought and died in your wars. Regarding Irish wasn't Audie Murphy a decorated American hero? The Irish are Catholics and don't hold any allegiance to the Vatican. How simplistic are some people in their thought processes? The same with the French and Bavarians. Anyway you are a new poster and as Apricity attracts a lot of trolls I won't take what you say too seriously.

There were many groups considered undesirables in the past and many more will be considered so in the future but this doesn't show that Irish, Polish and Italians haven't integrated into US society. The Irish were once British they aren't now. There are many ways of looking back at history. All Irish prejudices stem from the British trying to colonise their country and says nothing about the calibre of the people. One of the signatories of the Declaration of Independence was a man of Catholic Irish descent Charles Carroll.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charle..._of_Carrollton

So tell me again how the Catholics haven't assimilated into American society? Anyway aren't you that Indian guy who trolls on here?
    I think that Indian guy was referring more to Catholics than Irish. The Irish-Americans are just seen as any other White American, but there's always been anti-Catholic sentiment in the USA.

Meanwhile,

Some of the most financially successful religious groups – Jews, Hindus, Episcopalians, and Presbyterians – also are all among the nation’s most educated as well. These rankings, which come from our 2014 Religious Landscape Study, are based on the percentage of people within each religious group who reside in households with a yearly income of $100,000 or more.

About four-in-ten Jews (44%) and roughly a third of Hindus (36%) and Episcopalians (35%) live in households with incomes of at least $100,000. Again, these groups also have high levels of educational attainment. For instance, nearly half of Hindu adults and almost one-third of Jewish adults hold postgraduate degrees. Indeed, in addition to education, other factors, such as age, race and ethnicity also are correlated with both religion and income.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...igious-groups/

Atheists and Agnostics should also be added to that list. Lol Martnen will disagree, however.

Last Online
    04-09-2019 @ 02:14 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sinid
    Ethnicity
    Han Chinese
    Ancestry
    The Celestial Empire
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    mtDNA
    You can mtDNA this!
    Taxonomy
    Nordsinid/Tungid
    Hero
    Yo momma last night
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28,799
    Given: 25,904

1 Not allowed!

Yes they have. What on earth are you talking about?

Son of the Umayyads
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:50 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic-Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    Kavkazian(Paternal) Iraqi Bedouin(maternal)
    Ancestry
    Adyghea, Urals, Yemen, Syrian Desert
    Country
    Adyghea
    Region
    New Jersey
    Y-DNA
    T(Adyghean ancestors)
    mtDNA
    J1b(Arabian Bedouin)
    Taxonomy
    Alpinized-Arabid
    Politics
    Arabian peninsula nationalism. Unity our strength division our weakeness
    Hero
    Omar Al-Mukhtar, King Fisal Al-Saud, Queen Mavia, Queen Sheba, Sultan Bin Saif, Abeer Al-Janbai,
    Religion
    Bedouin Animism
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,489
    Given: 13,022

0 Not allowed!

They have, especially White Catholics like Irish, Italians, Germans ect. The ones that did not assimilate are the Mestizos coming from Mexico and central America.
    My genetic results
    1 50% Azeri_Dagestan +50% BedouinA @ 2.879975

One nation and one destiny

Banned
    Last Online
    03-31-2018 @ 11:27 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Don't know
    Ethnicity
    Don't know
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 8

0 Not allowed!

Here's my (non-troll) answer. Catholics in America to a large extent, still have their own social circles that rarely interact with wider society. They usually send their children off to separate Catholic schools, and tend to frown on intermarriage.

When my Protestant grandfather married my Catholic grandmother, all the disapproval and mistreatment came from the Catholics, not the Protestants.
    Nope. I'd say most educated White Americans are abandoning organized religion altogether, whether it be Protestantism, Catholicism or whatever else. This is a step in the right direction because Abrahamic religions are incompatible with modern science and rational thinking. Also I found this interesting.

Built By Immigrants, U.S. Catholic Churches Bolstered By Them Once Again

Nearly a century ago, immigrants from Germany and Ireland founded St. Helena Church in a working-class neighborhood in north Philadelphia.

Immigrants, and their children, still fill the pews at St. Helena's — but the vast majority of them are now from Vietnam, Latin America, the Philippines and Africa. Weekly masses are conducted in Spanish and Vietnamese as well as English. The senior priest, the Rev. Joseph Trinh, is himself a Vietnamese refugee. One of his associate priests is from Haiti, and another is from Ecuador.

https://www.npr.org/2015/09/09/43721...hem-once-again

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread Information