-
    Country
    Ireland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,802
    Given: 5,812

1 Not allowed!

Default Turkish scammer swindles $28 million

The developer of a $130 million FarmVille-type video game in Turkey that authorities warned was a ponzi scheme has reportedly fled the country, leaving hundreds of thousands of people with no clarity on whether they’ll get their money back.

Mehmet Aydin, the 26-year-old founder of the wildly popular game Farm Bank, fled to Uruguay, Turkish daily newspaper Hurriyet said on Thursday. His wife, Sila Aydin, and a board member of the company that ran the game were arrested, the state Anadolu Agency reported late Wednesday.

Players of Farm Bank, or Ciftlik Bank in Turkish, used real money to buy virtual animals and produce and sell virtual crops. The game promised to double their investments in a year by directing the money raised into actual agricultural investments, including what Aydin claimed in December would be Europe’s biggest dairy farm.

About 1,000 cattle from another facility have been seized by authorities, Anadolu Agency reported on Wednesday.

A week ago, Turkey’s customs ministry charged Farm Bank with aggravated fraud and demanded the website be shut down following an investigation. Four Facebook groups for Ciftlik Bank victims have attracted nearly 50,000 followers between them. A number of people recounted stories of taking out loans to play the game, which is no longer accessible on its website.

Aydin and his partners started Farm Bank in August 2016 and it quickly took off, reaching 350,000 domestic and 150,000 foreign players as of January. Several state agencies started investigating the game late last year, prompting Aydin to invite fellow citizens to the Anatolian site where he’d purchased land to build a dairy farm to convince them it was legit.

Pyramid and ponzi schemes typically offer returns to investors from money paid in by subsequent participants. In ponzi scams, though, participants believe they are earning returns from their investment. Both systems aren’t sustainable and eventually fall apart, typically leaving later investors with nothing.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-06-2021 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,829
    Given: 24,541

1 Not allowed!

If there's gonna be another watch dogs game in the near future then he should be the main protagonist, lol. Some Russian scammer today had been calling me many times over simply because I joined in some bitcoin website or something for curiosity reasons. Jeez, no wonder why people felt like absolute shit when they lost all of their money when they used bitcoin and so on.

Last Online
    05-27-2023 @ 02:19 AM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Ireland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,802
    Given: 5,812

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Toppo900 View Post
    If there's gonna be another watch dogs game in the near future then he should be the main protagonist, lol. Some Russian scammer today had been calling me many times over simply because I joined in some bitcoin website or something for curiosity reasons. Jeez, no wonder why people felt like absolute shit when they lost all of their money when they used bitcoin and so on.
    I regularly receive text messages from various betting websites every week because I registered on one betting site before.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-06-2021 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,829
    Given: 24,541

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryujin View Post
    I regularly receive text messages from various betting websites every week because I registered on one betting site before.
    It's crazy that there are so many of them on the internet these days. I mean, I had to switch off my phone because that Russian scammer doesn't stop calling me. I feel pity for those that got suckered into this whole thing.

Thread Information