Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a Portuguese-Andalusian-Sicilian-Maltese-NW African "cultural sphere"?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40,070
    Given: 10,740

1 Not allowed!

Default Is there a Portuguese-Andalusian-Sicilian-Maltese-NW African "cultural sphere"?

Most people will deny this fervently and will criticize me for this. But I think a case can be made.

I'll also note that all of these regions are also part of other cultural spheres too, but you can be part of more than one cultural sphere. Obviously when you are more simplfying Latin Europe and South Europe in general are a separate cultural sphere from the MENA world. But I believe it can be seen that Iberia, Sicily, NW Africa, and Malta were once part of the same one.

In no way am I saying that every cultural element is similar across these places as you could clearly find elements common to one but not the others, and even if MOST of the culture is not shared, there are still things that are shared.

1. All of these regions have a common history imposed on their original populations: Greco-Roman, Latin, Moorish. During Moorish rule, Iberia, Malta, and Sicily were unquestionably part of the same cultural sphere and the rest of Europe was cut off from this. Only by the Reconquista and the Crusades were the "European" regions separated from NW Africa and reintegrated into Europe.

2. Architectural influences can be seen among all of these places that are shared:

3. Tiles and ceramics often share patterns and are used for adornment:

4. Musical similarities can be heard in some styles. Not all of them are identical of course but there are overarching similarities between Fado, Flamenco, North African Andalusian music, some Sicilian music, etc.

Last Online
    04-03-2024 @ 09:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF27
    mtDNA
    J1c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,747
    Given: 3,217

1 Not allowed!

Fado is from the 19th century and this building is from 1926:

Tiles? I would say our style is different to say the least:

What else is there?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    05-16-2023 @ 02:30 PM
    Ethnicity
    Blank
    Country
    United States
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,285
    Given: 4,691

2 Not allowed!

Before Islam, certainly. IMO, had Islam not happened, then we may have thought of the Mediterranean and its relationship with Europe in a different way. However, Islam broke that relationship forever. Southern Europeans increasingly looked North and West for their identity, and Muslims to the East.

This break is irreconcilable, as far as I'm concerned. The only way that will happen is if there is a fundemental shift in thinking with one of those two major groups.

But you know, I don't think it's going to happen, because Islam showed a fundamental difference between Northern Meds (Europeans) and Southern Meds/Levantines. There is something in the soul of the Southern European that viscerally rejects the collectivism of Islam. I don't know why this is. Perhaps it's because we have a higher WHG component, but it is there.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by OsricPearl View Post
    Before Islam, certainly. IMO, had Islam not happened, then we may have thought of the Mediterranean and its relationship with Europe in a different way. However, Islam broke that relationship forever. Southern Europeans increasingly looked North and West for their identity, and Muslims to the East.

Do you think though that there are still some things binding North Africa, Iberia, and Sicily to one another that are remnants of the past not found elsewhere? Or does this not even exist now?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Endovélico View Post
    Fado is from the 19th century and this building is from 1926:

Tiles? I would say our style is different to say the least:

What else is there?

You are proving my point. Even today, Portuguese draw inspiration from elements of North African origin.

Last Online
    04-03-2024 @ 09:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF27
    mtDNA
    J1c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,747
    Given: 3,217

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    You are proving my point. Even today, Portuguese draw inspiration from elements of North African origin.
    Fado was not inspired in moorish music, i doubt they would have easy access to it in the 19th century. As for architecture, they can be inspired by anything really. Do you have more examples of this huge inspiration from North Africa?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Endovélico View Post
    Fado was not inspired in moorish music, i doubt they would have easy access to it in the 19th century. As for architecture, they can be inspired by anything really. Do you have more examples of this huge inspiration from North Africa?
    I think I provided some pretty distinct examples of things that are similar between these cultures, you simply choose to recognize it.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-26-2018 @ 04:55 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ashkenazi/Scottish
    Ethnicity
    Ashkenazi/Scottish
    Ancestry
    Europe/Caucuses
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New York City
    Y-DNA
    J2a1b (J-M67)
    mtDNA
    W3b1
    Taxonomy
    H. Alpinus
    Politics
    I judge each political issue on its individual merits.
    Religion
    Logic and reason.
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 852
    Given: 735

0 Not allowed!

Is there a Portuguese-Andalusian-Sicilian-Maltese-NW African "cultural sphere"?
    Siculo-Arabic did evolve into Maltese.
    The Arab world was arguably the most advanced civilization of the time and Sicily benefited greatly from becoming part of it.
    Italy, Sicily, Cefala Diana, old ruins of Arabian thermal baths.

THE WORD MAFIA: The Arabic word mahyas means “aggressive boasting or bragging.” This evolved into the Sicilian adjective mafiusu, which means arrogant, with a determination to dominate others through intimidation and bullying. And of course, people who have incorporated this behavior into their way of life are the Mafia.

Sicilian cuisine was also strongly influenced by the Arabs, who added almonds, aniseed, apricots, artichokes, cinnamon, oranges, pistachio, pomegranates, saffron, sesame, spinach, sugarcane, watermelon and rice to the local palate. Today, raisins and pine kernels are fundamental to a host of pasta and fish recipes, many sweets are of obvious Arab extraction, while sorbets and granitas also owe their popularity to North African ingenuity. One of the most common dishes in western Sicily is cous cous, an obvious hangover from Arab times, celebrated each year at the end of September when San Vito Lo Capo hosts an international cous cous fest. The Zibbibo grape, used to make Passito di Pantelleria, the supreme dessert wine, was introduced by the Arabs. And if all that weren't enough, Sicilian Arabs were the first to mass produce dried pasta - an undertaking of huge importance for the world as a whole.

Palermo Cathedral, which the Africans converted into a mosque, has some Arabic inscriptions on its exterior and examples of Islamic art.

La Martorana Church in Sicily. Martorana means marzipan, also invented by the Moors, which allegedly the nuns from the neighboring convent used to sell. The martorana sweet, usually shaped very attractively into fruits, is named after the church, not the other way round, apparently.

A qanat under the bay of Palermo. Bring your wellies.
    IRRIGATION: The North Africans were experts in irrigation. They used a technique which was first employed to reclaim the deserts all over Persia, digging out gradually tilting tunnels under the whole bay of Palermo area and lining them with stone. The depth to which the channels were sunk and the subtle gradient gathered water from a wide area and made the Palermo bay into one of Europe’s most fertile farming areas.

Wherever you go in Sicily, you will come across towns and villages bearing names of Arabic origin: Caltagirone, Caltanisseta, Caltabellotta and Caltavuturo all derive from the Arabic calta for castle, the gibil in Mongibello, Gibilmanna and Gibellina’ denotes mountainous locations, Regalbuto, Racalmuto and Regaliali all stem from rahl, meaning area or village, and Mislimeri signifies the resting place of the Emir (Manzil-Al-Emir). Marsala, or Mars’Allah is God’s Port, and Alcamo was founded by the Muslim General Al-Kamuk…

Arabic surnames survive too, with Salimbeni, Taibbi, Sacca’, Zappala’, Cuffaro and Micicchè fairly common reminders of Sicily’s partly North African geneology.

And when Sicilians choose to communicate in dialect, their conversations are strewn with words of Arabic origins, a few examples being cassata (qashata - cheese), gebbia (già-bìa – water tank for irrigation), zagara (zahr – orange blossom) and mischinu (miskin –poor/unfortunate person).

I'm sure all of this history is still alive in Malta and the former lands of Al-Andalus.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by AK-47 View Post
    I'm sure all of this history is still alive in Malta and the former lands of Al-Andalus.
    I think that certain elements of these cultures are due to a mixture of native elements (Greco-Roman, Celtic, Iberian) and Moorish, and that it should be celebrated, not suppressed.

Last Online
    Today @ 10:34 PM
    Ethnicity
    Andean highlander
    Country
    Bolivia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,331
    Given: 2,699

0 Not allowed!

They do share some elements, but not enough to group them together in a single 'cultural sphere'. Out of those that you cited, Portugal would stick the most for sure, specially Northern Portugal, with its distinctive Celtic culture.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information