Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where did the rumor originate that western Irish people are Basque-like?

Last Online
    09-16-2022 @ 11:43 AM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Western European
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    Centrist
    Religion
    Indo-European pantheon
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 48

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by J. Ketch View Post
    The part about your 2.3% 'Iberian' coming from 16th century Basque fisherman in Ireland. Makes no sense.
    How so?

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,020
    Given: 6,620

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by HoboJim View Post
    How so?
    There's no evidence of such a mass migration in history or genetics, and if you're 1/4 Irish you're implying that many Irish people are up to 9-10% Iberian.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,901
    Given: 18,310

1 Not allowed!

It's a dirty rumor that was started by street hooligans.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,540
    Given: 28,978

0 Not allowed!

Lightbulb

How so?
    Most fully Irish people hardly get any Iberian. Neither me nor any of my family get it that have been tested. With updates now on Ancestry and 23andMe it is even less likely. 2.3% Iberian is on the high side (for an Irish person) so I would say getting it from an Irish grandmother is not likely. Irish get less Iberian than the English for example so it's odd that people have this sort of connection. It's very easy to dispel if people look at Irish genetic results.

Anyway people take these small amounts too literally. How many people lose these small amounts on updates. 23andMe nor Ancestry etc are looking at older ancestry anyway as they match people to modern people that they have that have long term ancestry in countries. The dna companies appear to be improving over time because the science is getting better and also they have more areas that they match people to. It's all to do with the science and their population panels.

Most Irish, for example, match the British & Irish category on 23andMe and the Ireland and Scotland on Ancestry very well. These are very Irish shifted categories and most Irish get nearly 100% now with these companies.

What's your full ancestry?
    Last edited by Grace O'Malley; 01-16-2019 at 09:19 AM.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Western European
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    Centrist
    Religion
    Indo-European pantheon
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    Most fully Irish people hardly get any Iberian. Neither me nor any of my family get it that have been tested. With updates now on Ancestry and 23andMe it is even less likely. 2.3% Iberian is on the high side (for an Irish person) so I would say getting it from an Irish grandmother is not likely. Irish get less Iberian than the English for example so it's odd that people have this sort of connection. It's very easy to dispel if people look at Irish genetic results.

Anyway people take these small amounts too literally. How many people lose these small amounts on updates. 23andMe nor Ancestry etc are looking at older ancestry anyway as they match people to modern people that they have that have long term ancestry in countries. The dna companies appear to be improving over time because the science is getting better and also they have more areas that they match people to. It's all to do with the science and their population panels.

Most Irish, for example, match the British & Irish category on 23andMe and the Ireland and Scotland on Ancestry very well. These are very Irish shifted categories and most Irish get nearly 100% now with these companies.

What's your full ancestry?
    Interesting. I took the 23andme test in 2015 and my Iberian results haven't changed. I should mention that my grandmother is not directly from Ireland, but of Irish descent.

There has always been an awareness of a connection to Spain on her side though. There is also history of Basque fishing around Ireland which is thought to be the connection.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Western European
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    Centrist
    Religion
    Indo-European pantheon
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Perhaps it's circumstantial. Where Irish people in regions of Ireland connected to the Basque fishing trade are more prone to possessing dna from that history.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,540
    Given: 28,978

0 Not allowed!

Perhaps it's circumstantial. Where Irish people in regions of Ireland connected to the Basque fishing trade are more prone to possessing dna from that history.
    I've explained where I think these myths come from in my earlier post. You might have other ancestries that would explain your Iberian better. I share with many fully Irish people on 23andMe and Iberian is very scare for Irish. There is really no "special" connection between these populations as anyone that looks into the genetics side of things knows now. Even historically the people that the Irish interacted with where of course British i.e. Scots, Welsh and English. The other groups they have interacted with are the Vikings and Normans. That's basically the major groups that have went to Ireland.

Even with deep ancestry Irish are an extremely Northwest European population and are connected genetically to their neighbours i.e. the British, Scandinavians and Benelux areas.

Also specifically with your 2.3% Iberian it is most likely not real if you have no known actual ancestry from Spain and Portugal. Did you get your result on Ancestry or 23andMe? Both these companies have updated their Ancestry Compositions. It would be interesting to see what your full ancestry breakdown is? It could give some clues if you posted this.
    Last edited by Grace O'Malley; 01-16-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Western European
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    Centrist
    Religion
    Indo-European pantheon
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    I've explained where I think these myths come from in my earlier post. You might have other ancestries that would explain your Iberian better. I share with many fully Irish people on 23andMe and Iberian is very scare for Irish. There is really no "special" connection between these populations as anyone that looks into the genetics side of things knows now. Even historically the people that the Irish interacted with where of course British i.e. Scots, Welsh and English. The other groups they have interacted with are the Vikings and Normans. That's basically the major groups that have went to Ireland.

Even with deep ancestry Irish are an extremely Northwest European population and are connected genetically to their neighbours i.e. the British, Scandinavians and Benelux areas.

Also specifically with your 2.3% Iberian it is most likely not real if you have no known actual ancestry from Spain and Portugal. Did you get your result on Ancestry or 23andMe? Both these companies have updated their Ancestry Compositions. It would be interesting to see what your full ancestry breakdown is? It could give some clues if you posted this.
    Yeah, it's still at 2.3%.

Last Online
    02-12-2020 @ 09:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    Cypriot
    Country
    North-Korea
    Taxonomy
    Me: DinaroMed, Pompey: AtlantoMed
    Politics
    Dravidian Nationalist
    Hero
    Mr. G
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,828
    Given: 13,088

0 Not allowed!

In a more general sense, you folk don't see some parallels in Britsh and Iberian aesthetics, beyond their mutual European identity?
    If you see a post in red font made by my username, that means that it is Pompey's post, not mine.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-04-2023 @ 02:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ancestry
    Castellanos
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castile and Leon
    Y-DNA
    Castellanos
    mtDNA
    Castellanos
    Taxonomy
    Spanish paleto culture
    Politics
    Preserving Spanish paleto culture
    Religion
    The only one true Christianism is the Spanish Inquisition
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,690
    Given: 23,946

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Knight View Post
    There is also the event of the Spanish sailors from the Armada landing in Ireland. There is a mythic assumption that they settled there but most or all of them were killed.
    Most of them returned to Spain but a tiny minority remained in Ireland, so that is not a mythic assumption.
    What is a myth is that dark haired Irish descend of those sailors and soldiers.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information