Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ireland's regional ancestry modeled using British populations.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40,070
    Given: 10,740

4 Not allowed!

Default Ireland's regional ancestry modeled using British populations.

Not sure what BWA, SWA, NWA stand for, but this models Irish regions with other British Isles populations. All of Ireland can be modeled primarily with southern Scotland type ancestry. But the percentages differ.

The challenge here is that they are trying to model all of Irish ancestry with only British Isles clusters, which means Norman, Viking, and Germanic ancestry is getting absorbed by other clusters. Still, this is what we see:

Overall, Scottish-like ancestry is higher the further north you go in Ireland, while English-like ancestry increases in the southeast, south, and Connacht. However, all regions of Ireland except Wexford are more Scottish-like than English-like.

NW Ulster and North Leinster/Ulster, unsurprisingly, owe the largest share of ancestry of all Irish clusters to Scotland, making up over 70%. Affinity to the English clusters Cheshire, Kent, SE England, Devon, and Cornwall are low.

Connacht has greater English-like ancestry and less Scottish-like ancestry than the above, but primarily associated with Cheshire, not with the SE England cluster. There is some affinity to Kent, however, which is also in SE England.

Central Leinster and South Leinster/Munster have more Scottish-like ancestry than Connacht but less than NW Ulster and Northern Leinster/Ulster, and similar amounts of English-like ancestry as Connacht.

Wexford, also in Leinster province but separated here for its genetic distinctiveness, has only about 40% Scottish-like ancestry and almost 30% of ancestry in the SE England cluster, which makes this region an outlier for Ireland. This should not be a surprise given a large Anglo-Norman presence and, until recently, a very archaic form of Old English survived there called "Yola" which is a descendant of the early English spoken by the Normans.

N Munster, SW Munster, and Cork have less Scottish-like ancestry and more English-like ancestry than Leinster and Connacht. Of these, Cork has more affinity to Cheshire and less to SE England than the other clusters.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/bior...1/230797-7.pdf

Banned
    Last Online
    11-04-2018 @ 05:43 PM
    Ethnicity
    Cuban
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Florida
    Hero
    Tony Montana
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,295
    Given: 26,310

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    Connacht has greater English-like ancestry and less Scottish-like ancestry than the above, but primarily associated with Cheshire, not with the SE England cluster. There is some affinity to Kent, however, which is also in SE England.
    I really think they're only sampling part of Connaught. They should study Galway separately, my great-grandmother was from there and her parents could only speak Irish, not English. To me, it seems unlikely that they have any English admixture at all.

Germans are probably closer to Englishmen genetically than either group is to Irish.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

These are my personal estimates from looking at the bar chart for each region. I do not know what BWA, NWA, SWA mean so I am calling them other.

NW Ulster: 74% Scottish, 14% English, 12% other
    N Leinster/Ulster: 77% Scottish, 2% English, 21% other
    Connacht: 64% Scottish, 28% English, 8% other
    Central Leinster: 65% Scottish, 26% English, 9% other
    S Leinster/Munster: 53% Scottish, 38% English, 9% other
    Wexford: 42% Scottish, 38% English, 10% other
    N Munster: 54% Scottish, 30% English, 16% other
    SW Munster: 50% Scottish, 31% English, 19% other
    Cork: 50% Scottish, 37% English, 13% other

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Martnen View Post
    I really think they're only sampling part of Connaught. They should study Galway separately, my great-grandmother was from there and her parents could only speak Irish, not English. To me, it seems unlikely that they have any English admixture at all.

Germans are probably closer to Englishmen genetically than either group is to Irish.
    Connacht is well sampled. Normans in Connacht who spoke English upon arrival ended up assimilating to the native Irish culture.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,562
    Given: 29,007

0 Not allowed!

These are my personal estimates from looking at the bar chart for each region. I do not know what BWA, NWA, SWA mean so I am calling them other.

NW Ulster: 74% Scottish, 14% English, 12% other
    N Leinster/Ulster: 77% Scottish, 2% English, 21% other
    Connacht: 64% Scottish, 28% English, 8% other
    Central Leinster: 65% Scottish, 26% English, 9% other
    S Leinster/Munster: 53% Scottish, 38% English, 9% other
    Wexford: 42% Scottish, 38% English, 10% other
    N Munster: 54% Scottish, 30% English, 16% other
    SW Munster: 50% Scottish, 31% English, 19% other
    Cork: 50% Scottish, 37% English, 13% other
    BWA is Border Wales
    NWA is North Wales
    SWA is South Wales

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Connacht is well sampled. Normans in Connacht who spoke English upon arrival ended up assimilating to the native Irish culture.
    Yes they went native and became "more Irish than the Irish themselves". Even a place like Galway is called Galway of the Tribes after the merchant families of Athy, Blake, Bodkin, Browne, D'Arcy, Deane, Font, Ffrench, Joyce, Kirwan, Lynch, Martin, Morris and Skerritt. Of the fourteen families, twelve were of Norman-origin, two were Normanised Irish Gaels in their paternal ancestry (the D'Arcy or Ó Dorchaidhe and Kirwan or Ó Ciardhubháin families).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribes_of_Galway

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    Yes they went native and became "more Irish than the Irish themselves". Even a place like Galway is called Galway of the Tribes after the merchant families of Athy, Blake, Bodkin, Browne, D'Arcy, Deane, Font, Ffrench, Joyce, Kirwan, Lynch, Martin, Morris and Skerritt. Of the fourteen families, twelve were of Norman-origin, two were Normanised Irish Gaels in their paternal ancestry (the D'Arcy or Ó Dorchaidhe and Kirwan or Ó Ciardhubháin families).

Why in this study doesn't south Munster seem like an outlier but in the other it did?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Why in this study doesn't south Munster seem like an outlier but in the other it did?
    I never would have said that south Munster was an outlier in the other study. All Irish regions are extremely close. The differences are slight. They mention this in the study.

As expected, and consistent with the fineStructure analyses and previous estimates18,21, genetic differentiation across Ireland and Britain is subtle, with the greatest genetic distances between Orcadian and non-Orcadian clusters (mean Fst = 0.0032). Ulster appears to be an outlier relative to the other ‘Gaelic’ Irish clusters, consistent with its position in PCA (Supplementary Fig. 2). The Gaelic clusters exhibit fine differentiation between each other (average Fst = 0.00030; average Fst excluding outlier Ulster = 0.00024) which is comparable to the differentiation we see between English clusters (average Fst = 0.00031; average Fst excluding outlier Cornwall I = 0.00024). This level of differentiation is finer than what we observe within Wales (average Fst = 0.00138), or Scotland (average Fst = 0.00250). The level of differentiation we observe in the island of Ireland (Fst = 0.0003), Gaelic and N Ireland clusters included, is almost an order of magnitude smaller than what we observe within clusters found across Great Britain, excluding Orkney (Fst = 0.00135).
    I think the Insular Celtic study goes into more depth and has more information so I feel it is the better of the two. I think both are excellent because no other studies have looked at all areas of Ireland and broken down admixture like these studies.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I never would have said that south Munster was an outlier in the other study. All Irish regions are extremely close. The differences are slight. They mention this in the study.

I think the Insular Celtic study goes into more depth and has more information so I feel it is the better of the two. I think both are excellent because no other studies have looked at all areas of Ireland and broken down admixture like these studies.
    In the other study it seemed like South Munster deviated more than Ulster but here it is Ulster and North Leinster due to less ancestry matching England.

Banned
    Last Online
    11-04-2018 @ 05:43 PM
    Ethnicity
    Cuban
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Florida
    Hero
    Tony Montana
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,295
    Given: 26,310

0 Not allowed!

None of those surnames are present in my family.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information