Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Proto-Celtic/Celtic ethnogenesis?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,541
    Given: 28,979

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jana View Post
    Study from France, finally!
    I expect Gauls to be autosomally close to modern Brits.

Probably Roman contribution was quite big and shifted modern French more south. We have seen in recent Iberian paper how Roman admix was much greater than believed.

Even southern England was affected by this to a degree.

Looking forward to both French and Irish papers
    All my wishes have come true. I can't believe we are getting a study like this from France. I agree with your post. I think France like Spain had a big shift from the Roman colonisation.

Last Online
    09-05-2023 @ 09:22 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Ethnicity
    East Slavic, Germanic, Indo-Aryan
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 199
    Given: 13

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    This post from alan on Anthrogenica explains it better than I could.

I think we don't have enough information yet.
    I'm not sure I agree with the logic there, we have plenty of language spreading without clear archaeological signs.

Is the degree of difference between Irish Celtic and other continental Irish languages enough to warrant such early dating?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,541
    Given: 28,979

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SharpFork View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with the logic there, we have plenty of language spreading without clear archaeological signs.

Is the degree of difference between Irish Celtic and other continental Irish languages enough to warrant such early dating?
    I'm not up with the linguistic debate but there are others that no a lot more than me on that front. I think it is highly likely that Bell Beaker spoke an Indo-European language that developed into Celtic. I've seen a lot on this topic so I'd have to find the relevant posts on various forums. I'm really open on whatever way the chips fall on this and don't have a vested interest as I've come to the conclusion a long time ago that the Irish might not be that Celtic genetically. However they are Celts linguistically and culturally but I think Celt is a very broad term and we might have a very different idea of who Celts were and were not in the future. I might look for more relevant info if this thread still keeps going. What are your opinions on the topic?

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Ethnicity
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I'm not up with the linguistic debate but there are others that no a lot more than me on that front. I think it is highly likely that Bell Beaker spoke an Indo-European language that developed into Celtic. I've seen a lot on this topic so I'd have to find the relevant posts on various forums. I'm really open on whatever way the chips fall on this and don't have a vested interest as I've come to the conclusion a long time ago that the Irish might not be that Celtic genetically. However they are Celts linguistically and culturally but I think Celt is a very broad term and we might have a very different idea of who Celts were and were not in the future. I might look for more relevant info if this thread still keeps going. What are your opinions on the topic?
    I think Celts as a ethno-linguistic group probably were around the upper Rhine, upper Elbe and upper Danube basin and spread during the transition to iron usage, some areas would have experience Celtiziation during the Hallstatt period(Spain? Britain?) others during the La Tene period(Hungary, Transylvania etc.)

I'm really not sure about Spain, as far as I understood Celtiberians seem to be more recent arrival of Celts and the nature of people such as Lusitanians, Turdetanians and their Celtiness or relation to Indo-European is questioned, for this reason I find the "Celtic from the West" hypothesis a bit weak, because not only it presumes an early Celtic presence in such areas but also has this weird concept of "lingua franca" originating and spreading through mere trade but also leaves us with those large gaps in terms of Celtic presence in Spain, while somehow Celtic spread so much in Central Europe.

Honestly I'm a bit surprised by how much flat out wrong stuff on genetics and anthrpology goes on with Britain and Ireland, I keep hearing about "Basque-Celtic migration/connection" or "Most of the population of the British isles is from the neolithic" etc. and I feel like this theory is not that much better, I mean I even like Barry Cunliffe's work on the topic of Celts but the fact we are not only entertaining such hypothesis without much real support but also entertaining the idea that Celtic is as old as the Bell Beaker culture is simply ridiculous, I feel like it's the same kind of mentality, I don't think such theories can be accepted if they didn't feed into some kind of convenient narrative, even if not particularly nefarious.

I mean what the poster you previously quote theorized is at the very least miles better than what Cunliffe says, a late Bronze Age celtization of Ireland makes much more sense than "Bell Beaker = Celtic".

I think the only real solution to this topic is from a paleolinguistical perspective, genetics may mislead us or maybe make us miss some important in-between steps(for example Celtic branches replacing one another or back-migrations and such)

Small edit: I really want to drive home that the entire concept of Celtic rising as a lingua franca in the Atlantic is so weak and unproven that it makes the theory far weaker than a later Celtic spread, it can be argued that maybe this speech was some Centum IE conglomerate that gave rise to Celtic and maybe even Lusitanian(if it's not Celtic itself) but the idea that a cohesive and homogenous Celtic language would have risen without migrations or strong political bonds over such large areas is extremely questionable. a Bell Beaker Celtic would have given rise to very different branches, as different as Germanic to Italic even.

Last Online
    04-11-2024 @ 04:58 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic, German, some Jewish
    Ancestry
    Mercia/Northumbria, Westphalia/Baden-Wuttemburg, Mayo/Donegal, Powys, Argyll, Pas-de-Calais, Poland?
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I-L38
    mtDNA
    H3
    Taxonomy
    probably alpine+atlantid/mediterranid
    Politics
    non party affiliated center-right
    Hero
    Vercingetorix, Caratacus, Arminius, Robert the Bruce, Owain Glyndwr, Jan Sobieski III
    Religion
    I feel connected to paganism & my ancestors but am also scientific
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,927
    Given: 2,177

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SharpFork View Post
    I think Celts as a ethno-linguistic group probably were around the upper Rhine, upper Elbe and upper Danube basin and spread during the transition to iron usage, some areas would have experience Celtiziation during the Hallstatt period(Spain? Britain?) others during the La Tene period(Hungary, Transylvania etc.)

I'm really not sure about Spain, as far as I understood Celtiberians seem to be more recent arrival of Celts and the nature of people such as Lusitanians, Turdetanians and their Celtiness or relation to Indo-European is questioned, for this reason I find the "Celtic from the West" hypothesis a bit weak, because not only it presumes an early Celtic presence in such areas but also has this weird concept of "lingua franca" originating and spreading through mere trade but also leaves us with those large gaps in terms of Celtic presence in Spain, while somehow Celtic spread so much in Central Europe.

Honestly I'm a bit surprised by how much flat out wrong stuff on genetics and anthrpology goes on with Britain and Ireland, I keep hearing about "Basque-Celtic migration/connection" or "Most of the population of the British isles is from the neolithic" etc. and I feel like this theory is not that much better, I mean I even like Barry Cunliffe's work on the topic of Celts but the fact we are not only entertaining such hypothesis without much real support but also entertaining the idea that Celtic is as old as the Bell Beaker culture is simply ridiculous, I feel like it's the same kind of mentality, I don't think such theories can be accepted if they didn't feed into some kind of convenient narrative, even if not particularly nefarious.

I mean what the poster you previously quote theorized is at the very least miles better than what Cunliffe says, a late Bronze Age celtization of Ireland makes much more sense than "Bell Beaker = Celtic".

I think the only real solution to this topic is from a paleolinguistical perspective, genetics may mislead us or maybe make us miss some important in-between steps(for example Celtic branches replacing one another or back-migrations and such)

Small edit: I really want to drive home that the entire concept of Celtic rising as a lingua franca in the Atlantic is so weak and unproven that it makes the theory far weaker than a later Celtic spread, it can be argued that maybe this speech was some Centum IE conglomerate that gave rise to Celtic and maybe even Lusitanian(if it's not Celtic itself) but the idea that a cohesive and homogenous Celtic language would have risen without migrations or strong political bonds over such large areas is extremely questionable. a Bell Beaker Celtic would have given rise to very different branches, as different as Germanic to Italic even.
    There is a lot of evidence to say that Iberia and Britain were speaking Celtic long before the Hallstatt culture, if it were to spread rather then originate there like is likely, the it probably would’ve been through trade between the Atlantic Bronze Age system and the Urnfields

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Mercia/Northumbria, Westphalia/Baden-Wuttemburg, Mayo/Donegal, Powys, Argyll, Pas-de-Calais, Poland?
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I-L38
    mtDNA
    H3
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Hero
    Vercingetorix, Caratacus, Arminius, Robert the Bruce, Owain Glyndwr, Jan Sobieski III
    Religion
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

We are going to be getting a great study from France which will have Gauls. Gauls will be very similar to Irish and British and they were undoubtedly Celts.

https://anr.fr/Project-ANR-15-CE27-0001

Should be released in 2020 Yay!
    Excellent news! I’d love to see the results, personally I think that over the years the celts divided between two main ancestries, continental ‘converted’ celts and Atlantic ‘originally’ celts, which can Ben seen between the divisions between ‘British and irish’ and ‘French and German’ in 23&me, where as ‘broadly northwest european’ represents Germanic.
    I say this because the closer it gets to the Germanic homeland, the stronger it and ‘Scandinavian’ becomes, while ‘french And German’ ancestry is centered around the Rhine and northwestern alps

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Ethnicity
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldNorth View Post
    There is a lot of evidence to say that Iberia and Britain were speaking Celtic long before the Hallstatt culture, if it were to spread rather then originate there like is likely, the it probably would’ve been through trade between the Atlantic Bronze Age system and the Urnfields
    Evidence such as?

No it's ridiculous to say that trade would spread a language and have it maintain a certain cohesiveness for so long.

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,020
    Given: 6,620

0 Not allowed!

Even if Iberians and/or British were speaking some sort of Celtic family language before Hallstatt, so what? The genetic evidence is that both were invaded by people from Central or Central Western Europe from roughly that time on, and not the other way around. Whatever cultural continuity that spanned the Atlantic coast of Europe from North to South was almost certainly provided by those invasions.
    Spoiler!

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I-L38
    mtDNA
    H3
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Hero
    Religion
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post
    Even if Iberians and/or British were speaking some sort of Celtic family language before Hallstatt, so what? The genetic evidence is that both were invaded by people from Central or Central Western Europe from roughly that time on, and not the other way around. Whatever cultural continuity that spanned the Atlantic coast of Europe from North to South was almost certainly provided by those invasions.
    Not really... that’s the whole controversy over the Hallstatt theory to begin with, is that there is little to no genetic evidence for it

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,020
    Given: 6,620

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldNorth View Post
    Not really... that’s the whole controversy over the Hallstatt theory to begin with, is that there is little to no genetic evidence for it
    Not really what? You can easily use Global25 and compare Bronze Age Iberians with Iron Age Celtiberians, and Bronze Age Britons/Irish with Iron Age (and modern) Britons/Irish to see that both were impacted by a Hallstatt-like population in that interval.
    Spoiler!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread Information