Serb
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,951
    Given: 5,520

7 Not allowed!

Default Serbian traditional folk dances - description and examples

In Serbia people traditionally dance circle dance, known as kolo.

Kolo is performed among group of people holding each other's hands or having their hands around each other's waists (ideally in a circle). The basic steps are easy to
    learn, but experienced dancers dance kolo with great virtuosity due to different ornamental elements they add.

Many variations of kolo are performed at weddings, social, cultural, and religious ceremonies.
    Both men and women dance together, however some dances require only men to dance and some dances are only for women.

Dancing tradition in Serbia is represented by various styles of traditional dances. Each region of country has
    at least one unique kolo and unique dressing style with traditional shoes called "opanke".
    As with other aspects of Serbian culture, different forms of dances originated in different parts of Serbia,
    developed according to the local traditions and also acquired elements from other parts of the country.

Instruments that were used for playing music for kolo before 20th century were Serbian flute and bagpipes and in 20th century
    accordion that is most common instrument today.

----------- Examples of traditional dances by regions --------------

CENTRAL SERBIA (ŠUMADIJA)

Folk dances in Central Serbia are mix of Dinaric, Kosovo and Morava/Vardar regions. Dancing is light, on toes, usually in slow rhythm
    and with lot of ornaments. Traditional cap worn in this region and in Western Serbia is "šajkača". Traditional shoes "opanke" from this region
    (and Western Serbia) are called "šiljkani opanci" because of sharp elongated top they have.

This style is usually presented as most typical Serbian traditional folk dance, dressing and music.

WESTERN SERBIA

Western Serbia is part of Dinaric zone. Characteristic of Dinaric region dances is dancing and singing in the same time.
    Dancing steps are somewhat simpler and more robust and it is more common to have whole foot on the ground
    while dancing instead dancing on toes only.

Those characteristics of Dinaric dancing are most noticeable in main Dinaric zone (Bosnia) that will be explained later.

People of this region are called "Era" or "Ero" or "Ercov" from word "Hercegovac" which means man from Hertzegovina. Reason for this is because this region is settled with people of Hertzegovina during 16-20th century.

NORTHEASTERN SERBIA

In this region live two ethnicites Serbs and Vlachs and their dancing is very similar. Traditional dressing is also very specific, includes a cap called "šubara" made of sheep wool.
    Dancing is strong with whole foot on the ground with typical kicking ground with free leg move.

Dancing begins in min 2:00

SOUTHEASTERN SERBIA

This part of Serbia is called Sop region (serbian: Šopska oblast) and is influenced with Morava/Vardar region folk style.
    This region is spreading in Bulgaria and Macedonia as well.

This region is one of most diverse and interesting regions in therm of folk dances. There is even remain of Ottomans influence in Vranje town folk dancing and it's most known dancing is called
    "Vranjanska svita" but in countryside areas traditional dancing is preserved.

Most known dancing style in this region is (Šopske igre) Sop dancing. It's characteristic is very fast rhythm and legs moves.
    Cap called "šubara" is also common as traditional clothing.

Dancers often are saying joyfully these words while dancing "drž se zemljo Šop te gazi". Closest translation in English
    would be "watch out ground, Šop is stepping on you".

SOUTHERN SERBIA (KOSOVO)

Serbian traditional folk dances from Kosovo characterising peaceful and light dancing. Traditional dancing often includes old Slavic
    elements for wedding ceremonies. Singing in one voice is common. One voice singing from Kosovo region is different from singing in
    two voices style that is common in other parts of Serbia.

NORTHERN SERBIA (VOJVODINA)

This is region with lot of different influences and ethnicities who live with Serbs like Hungarians and Romanians which gives specific style to folk dances
    and dressing. Dancing in pairs is more common in this region. Kolo dance is characterised by small steps, dancing almost in one place without moving and
    with common hitting heels leg move. Clothing styling is much diverse. Music instrument most specific for this region is "tambura" or "tamburica" which is a kind of small guitar.
    Joyful and funny songs which are often sung during dancing are called "bećarac" songs.

Dancing begins in min 1:11

SERBS FROM BOSNIA

This is Dinaric influenced region and has unique folk dances, dressing and singing and differs
    from Serbia. Characteristic of this region is two-voices singing, usually called "ojkanje". Dancing is robust, with whole foot on the ground and goal is to hit the ground as much as one can. Goal in these dances is to show physical strength of men and women equally.

Best known traditional Serbian folk dance from Western Bosnia is "Glamocko Gluvo (nemo) kolo". Translation in
    English would be deaf (silent) kolo dance from Glamoc. This dance is performed without music.
    Glamocko Gluvo kolo is added on UNESCO list in 1982 year.

There is a story that this dance is from times when Ottomans banned musical instruments to Serbs.
    There is one more funny story that a girl couldn't marry if she is not able to dance Gluvo kolo for long enough
    therefore girls would try to stay in kolo for as much as possible to show their strength.

Eastern Bosnia (Herzegovina) is similar in terms of dressing and folklore. Singing and dancing in the same time is common but
    with more variations and includes music.

Dancing from Herzegovina (Igre Iz Istočne Hercegovine) - video (I can't add ninth video in post due to forum limits but it's worth watching)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMLSNAxyWTM

SERBS FROM CROATIA (LIKA)

This is also part of Dinaric region and style is similar to Bosnian Serbs dances.
    Best known kolo dance from this region is "djikac". Name is derived from word "djikati" which is archaic word for jumping. It
    belongs to group of silent kolo dances. One of dancers from group (called "kolovodja") usually gives orders to other dancers.
    Dancing style is similar for both Serbs and Croats from this region. Singing and dancing in the same time is common.

Dancing begins in 2:25 min

source: http://www.riznicasrpska.net/muzika/
    Last edited by Moje ime; 04-01-2018 at 09:15 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    05-21-2018 @ 12:53 PM
    Ethnicity
    Sarakacan
    Country
    Bosnia
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 50

1 Not allowed!

The so called "Vlah" dances and music are 100% Slavic.
    This how a Vlah sounds and looks

Banned
    Last Online
    04-10-2021 @ 08:05 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by zoofoogr View Post
    The videos you posted are not Slavic and not Serbian traditional music, for sure. That sounds Greek.

edit: In case you are talking about "Vlach" video I posted - Vlachs from Eastern Serbia are close to Romanians, even their music is similar to Romanian music. As far as I know they are not true Vlachs but they are close to Romanians.

Anyway may be that Romanian folk music is more similar to Slavic/Serbian music compared to example videos you posted but I can distinguish that style from Serbian style of folk music, maybe someone less familiar can't.
    Last edited by Moje ime; 04-03-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Ortho Alpha Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    East Roman Orthodox Christian
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Ancestry
    Olive Farmers&Fishermen
    Country
    Great Britain
    Taxonomy
    Greek Alpha
    Politics
    Goy resistance movement
    Religion
    Albanian Zen
    Relationship Status
    Part time lover
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,059
    Given: 14,231

0 Not allowed!

The Kosovo Wedding dance at 7:19 has some similarity with Thracian folk dances

Finally Serbians also have the oro Dance"or is it the general name for Dance?"

Oro comes from the ancient Greek word Horon for dance.
    We still say Horos for dance in Greece.
    Romanians have the Hora dance
    The Talmud tells us that the only language the Torah could be translated into elegantly is Greek.

Quote Originally Posted by catgeorge View Post
    Demons don't scare me.
    They should be scared of me.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Sarakacan
    Country
    Bosnia
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Moje ime View Post
    The videos you posted are not Slavic and not Serbian traditional music, for sure. That sounds Greek.

edit: In case you are talking about "Vlach" video I posted - Vlachs from Eastern Serbia are close to Romanians, even their music is similar to Romanian music. As far as I know they are not true Vlachs but they are close to Romanians.

Anyway may be that Romanian folk music is more similar to Slavic/Serbian music compared to example videos you posted but I can distinguish that style from Serbian style of folk music, maybe someone less familiar can't.
    I dont know much about Romanian music, but the eastern Serbian music sounds identical to rest of Serbian. As a musician I cannot spot any differences in melodies, scales, rythm, etc.
    If you find any difference can you pls spot it?

Ortho Alpha Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    East Roman Orthodox Christian
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Ancestry
    Olive Farmers&Fishermen
    Country
    Great Britain
    Taxonomy
    Greek Alpha
    Politics
    Goy resistance movement
    Religion
    Albanian Zen
    Relationship Status
    Part time lover
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,059
    Given: 14,231

0 Not allowed!

I never heard any Serbian music that resembles the Greek Vlach music you posted leave alone other Slavic music.

Only neighbouring Balkan Slavic countries including Serbia might have music that kinda sounds similar.

Other Slavic countries like Poland e.c.t don't have this music at all.
    The Vlach music only resembles some Romanian folklore and perhabs some styles in Serbia most probably brought there by the Vlachs.

But this kind of Serbian Slavic music sounds entirely different

Also the Vlachs in the videos you posted don't look very Slavic to me
    The Talmud tells us that the only language the Torah could be translated into elegantly is Greek.

Demons don't scare me.
    They should be scared of me.

Banned
    Last Online
    12-08-2023 @ 08:49 PM
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Country
    Greece
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,717
    Given: 1,188

1 Not allowed!

What the hell are you smoking? This sounds like standard mainland Greek music. Only some Albanian can sound close.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by cybernautic View Post
    The Kosovo Wedding dance at 7:19 has some similarity with Thracian folk dances

Finally Serbians also have the oro Dance"or is it the general name for Dance?"

Oro comes from the ancient Greek word Horon for dance.
    We still say Horos for dance in Greece.
    Romanians have the Hora dance
    In Serbia (and Bosnia and Croatia) only word "kolo" is used for folk dance. General translation for eng word "dance" in Serbian language is "igra" so kolo is basically unique word, only used for specific kind of folk dancing.

I think "oro" word is used in Macedonia, and maybe in Montenegro.

Video you posted named "Crnogorsko oro" is from Montenegro. It is part of Dinaric region and is very similar with examples I posted for Serbs from Bosnia and Croatia. Especially is similar with example I posted for
    Hertzegovina.

I dont know much about Romanian music, but the eastern Serbian music sounds identical to rest of Serbian. As a musician I cannot spot any differences in melodies, scales, rythm, etc.
    If you find any difference can you pls spot it?
    About the video I posted, named "Vlaske igre", to me it sounds different then video for Central or Western Serbia. I'll try to explain...
    maybe if you listen first 40 seconds of video, that slow intro music, that sounds very Romanian. Rest dancing part of music probably is less obvious.

I'll give you example of Romanian folk song so you can compare.
    This is one simple folk Romanian song so maybe you can hear similarity with intro music from Vlaske igre video and this one.

There is that specific Romanian melody that I noticed in most of their folk songs.. it sounds like - one low tone then fast goes to higher tone, but skipping few in between.
    In following video that low tone starts in sec 26 and again in sec 29 so basically specific part I'm talking about lasts for 3 seconds.
    That short melody is specific to Romanian music (and it is very common) and you won't find it in Serbian folk music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWx1RxrAb0w
    Last edited by Moje ime; 04-03-2018 at 05:56 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Sarakacan
    Country
    Bosnia
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Got what you mean! Thanx! At 1:48 it gets interesting, more complex, nice to the ear (nice play between major and minor scale) and closer to Serbian. Before that it is classic major scale. I find similarities between the romanian song and the Serbian song from eastern Serbia.
    (Romania was a place with strong Slavic influence some 100s years ago)

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

More examples of Serbian traditional dances and music.

Central Serbia

Eastern Serbia

Southern Serbia

Next songs are good examples of composed songs from first half of 20th century and based on traditional Serbian music motives.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information