Thread: Cleaning Tips For Floors: How To Keep Your Floors Sparkling

Слава Путину! Я люблю Россию. Z
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 06:18 PM
    From Dorset, but live in the City of Westminster (Central London)
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    English, 1/8 Welsh, 1/16 Western Irish.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,549
    Given: 27,895

3 Not allowed!

Default Cleaning Tips For Floors: How To Keep Your Floors Sparkling

Cleaning Tips For Floors: How To Keep Your Floors Sparkling

You’ve dusted, tidied, vacuumed and polished, and all that remains is to wash the floor as you back out of the room. But, did you realise that not all hard floors need the same treatment? Get it wrong and you could be doing more harm than good. And then you probably need to get a professional cleaning service.

Here’s the UK's Good Housekeeping Institute's rundown of how to clean hard floors – whatever surface you’ve got:

Laminate

Vacuum, dust or wipe with a lightly dampened mop – never use soap-based detergents or other polishes, as they can leave a dull film on the floor, and avoid over-wetting. Don’t use wax polish: it will make the floor too slippery. To remove marks and stains, use a dilute solution of water and vinegar. Never be tempted to use abrasive cleaners, such as nylon scouring pads or steel wool, which can scratch. Stubborn marks, such as shoe polish, can be removed with nail polish remover containing acetone, or other mild solvents -– WD-40 also works well. To protect the floor, put felt pads underneath furniture legs and drip trays under plant pots.

GHI tip: Vacuum or sweep all types of hard floors regularly to prevent the surface being scratched by grit (if shoes are removed at the front door it will help to stop dirt from being tracked in).

Ceramic and quarry tiles

These need minimal maintenance. Sweep and wash with a mild detergent solution. Rinse with clear water. Never use wax polish – the tiles will become slippery.

Terracotta tiles

For the first year after installation, terracotta tiles mature. Most suppliers stock a special cleaner, sealant and polish, so use recommended products from your floor supplier.

Vinyl

Sweep with a soft brush or vacuum, then wipe with a damp mop, using a mild detergent. Rinse thoroughly after wiping. To remove scuff marks, use a cloth dipped in neat washing-up liquid or white spirit, then rinse off.

Wood

Sealed floors need only to be swept and damp-mopped. Do not use too much water or the wood could swell and split. Unsealed and waxed floors should be swept regularly and occasionally repolished. Use wax sparingly, as an excess will leave a tacky surface and attract dirt. Buff well. If worn patches appear on the surface, apply a non-slip floor polish.

On a waxed floor, polish and dirt builds up over time and the only way to clean it is to remove the wax and start again. Use a cloth moistened with white spirit. Let it soak in, and as the wax and dirt begin to dissolve, wipe away with crumpled newspaper. Scrub obstinate parts by hand, or with abrasive pads on a floor polisher. When polish has been removed, damp-mop with clean water. Allow to dry completely before applying new polish, working on small sections at a time.

For protecting your wooden or parquet flooring, we recommend Dr Beckmann Hardwood & Parquet Floor Cleaner. We found it nourished the boards and brought slightly faded ones back to life.

GHI tip: Never varnish a waxed floor – it won't dry!

Cork

Wipe factory-sealed cork tiles with a damp mop, using a solution of washing-up liquid. To provide an extra layer of protection, especially in high-traffic areas such as the bathroom and kitchen, apply an acrylic or polyurethane sealant. Never over-wet and take care not to damage the seal or protective coatings by dragging appliances or furniture over the floor.

GHI TIP: Scuff marks on skirting boards? Squirt with WD-40 and wipe away with a soft cloth.

​Linoleum

Sweep or vacuum to remove grit and dust. Clean with a mop or cloth dampened with a solution of detergent or floor cleaner. Use water sparingly. Rinse after washing. Stubborn marks can be removed by rubbing lightly with a dampened fine nylon pad.

Stone

As it is susceptible to staining, stone should always be protected with a resin sealant. To clean sealed stone, vacuum it thoroughly, then mop with a mild detergent solution. To remove grease or oil, use a proprietary spot-treatment stain remover for stone.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/i...parkling-clean

Last edited by Loki; 12-28-2018 at 06:42 PM.
    ❀♫ ღ ♬ ♪ And the angle of the sun changed it all. ❀¸.•*¨♥✿ 🎶

Last Online
    04-13-2018 @ 02:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    half russian half jew
    Ancestry
    From Israel, Poland - mother's line. And Russian Ukrainian - father's line.
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    none
    Religion
    none
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

1 Not allowed!

I have been vacuuming my wooden floors and they became nipped. Its because i was using a regular vacuum cleaner with a rotating brush inside the nozzle. With hard nylon hair. Would be grate if you could add this to your manual. And too bad i read about it when i have already ruined my floors through years.

Last Online
    03-02-2024 @ 11:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Homo neogrecous
    Ethnicity
    Yes
    Country
    Japan
    Region
    Acadia
    mtDNA
    H
    Politics
    oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,431
    Given: 241

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by alicesaf View Post
    I have been vacuuming my wooden floors and they became nipped. Its because i was using a regular vacuum cleaner with a rotating brush inside the nozzle. With hard nylon hair. Would be grate if you could add this to your manual. And too bad i read about it when i have already ruined my floors through years.

Welcome to the forum

Last Online
    04-13-2018 @ 02:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    half russian half jew
    Ancestry
    From Israel, Poland - mother's line. And Russian Ukrainian - father's line.
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    none
    Religion
    none
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by wvwvw View Post

Welcome to the forum
    THanks!

Last Online
    10-20-2020 @ 10:23 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sardinian
    Ethnicity
    Sardinian
    Ancestry
    North Western Sardinia
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Sardinia
    Hero
    Leonidas of Sparta, Constantine XI, Hampsicoras of Cornus (Sardinian Hero)
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,656
    Given: 332

1 Not allowed!

How To Keep Your Floors Sparkling ?
    Spoiler!

Non Auro, Sed Ferro, Recuperanda Est Patria (Not by Gold, But by Iron, Is the Nation to be Recovered) - Marcus Furius Camillus (Roman General)

Слава Путину! Я люблю Россию. Z
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 06:18 PM
    From Dorset, but live in the City of Westminster (Central London)
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    English, 1/8 Welsh, 1/16 Western Irish.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,549
    Given: 27,895

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mens-Sarda View Post
    How To Keep Your Floors Sparkling ?
    Spoiler!

lol
    ❀♫ ღ ♬ ♪ And the angle of the sun changed it all. ❀¸.•*¨♥✿ 🎶

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    ᖭི༏ᖫྀ
    Ancestry
    Med
    Country
    Albania
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,529
    Given: 10,081

0 Not allowed!

I have one of those spray mop things and fill it with Method wood cleaner that you don't have to dilute but I also steam mop my wooden floors, main reason is to sterilize it though for my baby

Thread Information