Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: "Albania’s drug crime is now a European problem"

Kouros

4 Not allowed!

Default "Albania’s drug crime is now a European problem"

https://www.ft.com/content/fc552324-...8-7a9fb7d6163e

Albania’s drug crime is now a European problem

I am well aware that some people, if you mention Albania, think of crime and drugs. I am aware too that to erase that image — profoundly unfair to a country of largely peaceful, law abiding people — will take time and, above all, action. Last week we learnt that our action is bearing fruit.

We are indebted to Italy’s financial police, the Guardia di Finanza, and the sophisticated air surveillance they use to spot cannabis plantations for Albanian police forces. The statistics are unambiguous.

A year ago, their flights identified 2,086 plantations across the length and breadth of Albania. This year, even with extended flights and enhanced surveillance, there were just 88. All have now been destroyed by our police.

This is real progress. For years labelled the cannabis capital of Europe, Albania has had enough and we have fought back.

For a quarter of a century cannabis has ruined Albanian lives, corrupted local officials and poisoned national politics, all the while enriching gangsters.

This time last year, the international media were bristling with headlines about record amounts of Albanian acreage sown to cannabis. Perhaps because journalists are attracted by the half-empty more than the half-full, the real story never made it into print. The real story was that record amounts of cannabis were at last being identified — and destroyed.

This is not the end of the story by any means. The people who became rich on the back of drug production must pay for their crimes. We have launched a phase two special operation against them and their assets. We are cleaning up the judicial system, properly vetting judges who for too long were ruled by criminals and their money.

But these criminals don’t operate only in Albania. They are connected and interconnected with organised crime in the cannabis-consuming nations. And the governments of these countries must also bear some responsibility for bringing them to justice.

We in Albania have done everything possible to eradicate a considerable source of a Europe-wide problem. But the consuming countries must vigorously investigate the perpetrators and to freeze the proceeds of their crimes. We will be sharing what we know about them and the evidence we have against them with police forces and financial regulators across Europe in the weeks and months ahead.

These are dangerous people. My government regards them as a national security threat. Yours should too. Many, perhaps most, live elsewhere in Europe, pretending to be legitimate businessmen. But make no mistake. They are criminals whose international businesses enslave people and create havoc everywhere.

They will think nothing of using their wealth to buy influence. They will hire seemingly respected law and accounting firms and lobbying agencies. Through these intermediaries, they will find ways to turn accusations on their head and depict themselves as innocent victims under attack from business rivals or worse, from political adversaries — namely my government and me. We have already had this experience.

Reform of our justice system and the vetting of judges and prosecutors for corruption and incompetence — key demands by the European Union before we can enter into formal accession negotiations — were nearly derailed early this year. Vested interests opposed to the reform brought turmoil to our streets and at times seemed determined to place our young democracy in jeopardy.

It is worth remembering that for 20 years the drug barons were able to maintain the area around the Albanian village of Lazarat as a safe haven for cannabis production and processing, a no-go area for police and other government authorities.

Such was the drugs trade’s clout that one of my predecessors as prime minister acknowledged that non-intervention in the area was his “firm political decision”. My government reversed that policy in 2014 and a major police operation closed Lazarat down. The police destroyed “product” representing nearly a quarter of all cannabis confiscated and destroyed across Albania that year.

That was the beginning of our struggle against the gangsters. Now we need to take another important step.

On Friday I sent a letter to the leaders of all 28 members of the European Union seeking their support in our battle with the drug lords. “We know that some reside and are thriving in your nation too, profiting from illegal drugs, prostitution, human trafficking and other illicit activities,” my letter states. “We want your help and offer ours in return, to catch these people and bring them to justice.”

I hope citizens of all the EU nations will urge their governments to take a stand with us. This is a battle for all of us, and one that must be won.

Last Online
    01-30-2019 @ 04:41 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Thraco-Illyrian
    Ethnicity
    Gheg Albanian
    Ancestry
    Dinaric alps/northern Albania
    Country
    England
    Region
    City of London
    Y-DNA
    J1-ZS241, Maternal Ydna: E-V13>CTS5856*
    mtDNA
    T1a1l
    Taxonomy
    Dinaro-Pontid + CM
    Hero
    Gjergj Kastrioti-Skanderbeg, Alexander the Great, Isa Boletini
    Religion
    Albanianism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,495
    Given: 3,850

2 Not allowed!

"profoundly unfair to a country of largely peaceful, law abiding people" kinda sad how we are associated with these things.
    23andme: 100% Balkan https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...3andme-results

MyOrigins 2.0: 100% Southeast Europe

Geneplaza K25: 100% Greek-Albanian

Eurogenes K36 oracle: 50.64% Albania_North+ 49.36% Kosovo. Population distance: 1) 1.27 Northern Albania&Kosovo

Ydna: J1-ZS241

Maternal Ydna: E-V13>CTS5856*

The Albanians, these tigers of mountain wars ... have as their religion rebellion. Even their worst warrior is one of the strongest and bravest on the battle-field, just as if he was a knight on the legendary horse. But he has no horse, nor proper weapons for battle. Instead of the horse, he has a lance which strikes as lightning, he has spears who's points are full of posion as the sting of hornets, he has also a wooden bow with some arrows. Furthermore, he is stronger than iron ...

- Ibn Kemal, Historian of the Turkish court during Skanderbeg's war against the Turks.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Thraco-Illyrian
    Ethnicity
    Gheg Albanian
    Ancestry
    Country
    England
    Region
    City of London
    Y-DNA
    mtDNA
    T1a1l
    Taxonomy
    Dinaro-Pontid + CM
    Hero
    Religion
    Albanianism
    Thumbs Up

4 Not allowed!

Which Albanian pissed you off today?

Eurogenes K36 oracle: 50.64% Albania_North+ 49.36% Kosovo. Population distance: 1) 1.27 Northern Albania&Kosovo

The Albanians, these tigers of mountain wars ... have as their religion rebellion. Even their worst warrior is one of the strongest and bravest on the battle-field, just as if he was a knight on the legendary horse. But he has no horse, nor proper weapons for battle. Instead of the horse, he has a lance which strikes as lightning, he has spears who's points are full of posion as the sting of hornets, he has also a wooden bow with some arrows. Furthermore, he is stronger than iron ...

- Ibn Kemal, Historian of the Turkish court during Skanderbeg's war against the Turks.

Kouros

1 Not allowed!

Oh I forgot to copy one part:

"Edi Rama is the prime minister of Albania."

Before I get dozens of hot-tempered, obsessive Albanians claiming this is propaganda: this entire article was written by the current prime minister of Albania, Edi Rama.

And of course, I would only expect this amount of honesty, integrity, and awareness from an Arvanito-Vlach

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Thraco-Illyrian
    Ethnicity
    Gheg Albanian
    Ancestry
    Country
    England
    Region
    City of London
    Y-DNA
    mtDNA
    T1a1l
    Taxonomy
    Dinaro-Pontid + CM
    Hero
    Religion
    Albanianism
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kouros View Post
    Oh I forgot to copy one part:

"Edi Rama is the prime minister of Albania."

Before I get dozens of hot-tempered, obsessive Albanians claiming this is propaganda: this entire article was written by the current prime minister of Albania, Edi Rama.

And of course, I would only expect this amount of honesty, integrity, and awareness from an Arvanito-Vlach
    Rama a Vlach? Majority won't consider this as propaganda as we do know it's a problem. Anyways Rama himself is most probably involved in illegal activity involving drugs

Kouros

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelmendasi View Post
    Rama a Vlach?
    Isn't he half Vlach?

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Thraco-Illyrian
    Ethnicity
    Gheg Albanian
    Ancestry
    Country
    England
    Region
    City of London
    Y-DNA
    mtDNA
    T1a1l
    Taxonomy
    Dinaro-Pontid + CM
    Hero
    Religion
    Albanianism
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Isn't he half Vlach?
    Nah, his father is a Catholic Gheg from Durres and mother is an Orthodox Tosk from a village of Vlore

Last Online
    11-16-2020 @ 11:14 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    :....:
    Country
    Bhutan
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,663
    Given: 2,177

0 Not allowed!

Does anybody know where are roots of organized crime in Albania?
    Why Albania?
    When in happened?
    Is it somehow connected with Italian mafia?

I'm really interested in I don't want to provoke/insult anyone...

Banned
    Last Online
    12-09-2019 @ 05:07 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Paleo Haemonic
    Ethnicity
    Gheg Albanian
    Ancestry
    Dinaric and Pindus mountains
    Country
    Albania
    Region
    Goteborg
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean-Dinaric
    Politics
    Classic Liberal
    Hero
    Sokrates
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 850
    Given: 597

0 Not allowed!

Isn't he half Vlach?
    Lol, no. He is a northerner. No vlachs in northern albania. Rama is a typical gheg, dark and tall.

Kouros

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Trilecce View Post
    typical gheg, dark and tall.
    I don't know or care if all of this is true. But two of these three statements are going to really set off some people on here. Just letting you know brotha. He is very tall though.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information