Page 400 of 427 FirstFirst ... 300350390396397398399400401402403404410 ... LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,000 of 4265

Thread: What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Last Online
    04-03-2024 @ 09:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF27
    mtDNA
    J1c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,747
    Given: 3,217

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gixajo View Post
    But Magallanes never circumnavigated the globe, he died in Philippines Islands...
    It was his voyage and he was the captain, so they still write books about him. He did most of the unknown voyage, giving a name to the Pacific Ocean, The route from the Phillipines to the Iberian Peninsula was known.

Banned Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    SW European
    Ethnicity
    Indigenous
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    H1
    Hero
    Sinuhé
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,622
    Given: 21,626

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Damiăo de Góis View Post
    It was his voyage and he was the captain, so they still write books about him. He did most of the unknown voyage, giving a name to the Pacific Ocean, The route from the Phillipines to the Iberian Peninsula was known.
    Fantastic, a great sailor but none of those wonderful feats is the circumnavigation of the globe.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF27
    mtDNA
    J1c1
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Fantastic, a great sailor but none of those wonderful feats is the circumnavigation of the globe.
    The book is about the voyage, which is an history in itself. The expediction/voyage is known as Magellan Expediction all over the world (except maybe in Spain) since it was him who planned and led it so it's normal the book has this title. The fact that he was killed in the expediction is part of the story.

I have had a similar discussion about this topic with Cristiano Viejo, which makes me wonder if there is some sort of grudge in Spain towards Magellan?

Btw, it's a good book full of good reviews.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    SW European
    Ethnicity
    Indigenous
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    H1
    Hero
    Sinuhé
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

The book is about the voyage, which is an history in itself. The expediction/voyage is known as Magellan Expediction all over the world (except maybe in Spain) since it was him who planned and led it so it's normal the book has this title. The fact that he was killed in the expediction is part of the story.

I have had a similar discussion about this topic with Cristiano Viejo, which makes me wonder if there is some sort of grudge in Spain towards Magellan?

Btw, it's a good book full of good reviews.
    I don´t care about your discussions with CV.

Magallanes was a fantastic sailor, and it´s a man who must be remembered, and what he did is full of merit.

But reality does not depend on how many people or countries give more importance to one historical figure or another, but on who did what.

My opinion is that the circumnavigation of the globe should not be named without mentioning Magellan and Elcano together.

And I do not intend with this to make Magellan's contribution smaller, rather to highlight the importance and relevance of someone with the same relevance (at least) as Magellan, who apparently "everyone except the Spaniards" seem to want to put in a background, when it was he who commanded the group of people who actually completed the circumnavigation of the globe.

The question is very simple: Did Magallanes circumnavigated the globe?

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF27
    mtDNA
    J1c1
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I don´t care about your discussions with CV.

Magallanes was a fantastic sailor, and it´s a man who must be remembered, and what he did is full of merit.

But reality does not depend on how many people or countries give more importance to one historical figure or another, but on who did what.

My opinion is that the circumnavigation of the globe should not be named without mentioning Magellan and Elcano together.

And I do not intend with this to make Magellan's contribution smaller, rather to highlight the importance and relevance of someone with the same relevance (at least) as Magellan, who apparently "everyone except the Spaniards" seem to want to put in a background, when it was he who commanded the group of people who actually completed the circumnavigation of the globe.

The question is very simple: Did Magallanes circumnavigated the globe?
    Elcano is integral part of the voyage, you can't write a book about it and not mention him. However it's not his expediction, he was part of the crew of one of the ships and survived. He wasn't co-captain general and they didn't go together to Manuel I of Portugal and Charles I of Spain asking for sponsorship for their voyage.

Also, since i'm reading it i can say Elcano was in a different ship and he wasn't even the captain of his ship, it was Gaspar de Quesada but after a mutiny he was promoted:

Elcano participated in a fierce mutiny against Ferdinand Magellan before the convoy discovered the passage through South America, the Strait of Magellan. He was spared by Magellan and after five months of hard labour in chains was made captain of the galleon.
    I don't find strange that Magellan's name is in the cover and is given more importance than Elcano but you would have to ask the author why he did it.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    SW European
    Ethnicity
    Indigenous
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    H1
    Hero
    Sinuhé
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Elcano is integral part of the voyage, you can't write a book about it and not mention him. However it's not his expediction, he was part of the crew of one of the ships and survived. He wasn't co-captain general and they didn't go together to Manuel I of Portugal and Charles I of Spain asking for sponsorship for their voyage.

Also, since i'm reading it i can say Elcano was in a different ship and he wasn't even the captain of his ship, it was Gaspar de Quesada but after a mutiny he was promoted:

I don't find strange that Magellan's name is in the cover and is given more importance than Elcano but you would have to ask the author why he did it.
    Blablabla ....

But still I didn´t read your answer of the most important: Did Magallanes circumnavigated the globe?

Actually If I remember well, there was another person who since the beggining have the same level of decission that Magallanes had, and was abandomne in a desert island after the same mutiny in which Quesada and another Captain were executed...?

Elcano was a secondary character (the second onboard in the nao of Gaspar de Quesada) until it ceased to be.

And although Magellan found (according to Pigafetta by chance, because the sources on which he was inspired were not correct) the passage to the Pacific Ocean, the road to the Moluccas was found by Elcano (Magellanes was dead), as well as the one that actually circumnavigated the globe.

I will see if there is a version of your book in Spanish, these things are very interesting.

And don´t worry, in the group of survivors there was a Portuguese representation (and Italian or Greek too).

Pigafetta was quite biased against Elcano, and idolized Magallanes, his story is very interesting (and basically the one that finally remained), but you have to read it carefully in that regard, surely your book is mainly based on his first text ( Relación del primer viaje alrededor del mundo - 1524), all the books are basically based on his text.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    SW European
    Ethnicity
    Indigenous
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    H1
    Hero
    Sinuhé
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Blablabla ....

But still I didn´t read your answer of the most important: Did Magallanes circumnavigated the globe?

Actually If I remember well, there was another person who since the beggining have the same level of decission that Magallanes had, and was abandomne in a desert island after the same mutiny in which Quesada and another Captain were executed...?

Elcano was a secondary character (the second onboard in the nao of Gaspar de Quesada) until it ceased to be.

And although Magellan found (according to Pigafetta by chance, because the sources on which he was inspired were not correct) the passage to the Pacific Ocean, the road to the Moluccas was found by Elcano (Magellanes was dead), as well as the one that actually circumnavigated the globe.

I will see if there is a version of your book in Spanish, these things are very interesting.

And don´t worry, in the group of survivors there was a Portuguese representation (and Italian or Greek too).

Pigafetta was quite biased against Elcano, and idolized Magallanes, his story is very interesting (and basically the one that finally remained), but you have to read it carefully in that regard, surely your book is mainly based on his first text ( Relación del primer viaje alrededor del mundo - 1524), all the books are basically based on his text.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF27
    mtDNA
    J1c1
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Blablabla ....

He was killed and didn't finished what he propposed to do. Why are people writing books about him since he did nothing? This one is about the voyage, i wasn't aware it would cause this reaction because it has "Magellan" in the cover.

I don't know (still reading), but i'm not aware of any co-planning and co-leadership in the expediction. But i know this:

Many of Magellan's crew mutinied or deserted the expedition. Magellan's mostly Spanish crew resented the idea of being led by a Portuguese captain, and the expedition was forced to weather two mutinies before it had even reached the Pacific

The book exists in spanish: https://www.amazon.es/Magallanes-Has.../dp/843442939X

Btw, i don't know why Magellan wanted to reach the Spice Islands (Moluccas) through the west, the portuguese were already there since 1511.

I'm not worried, but i can tell you no one knows about these portuguese survivors (passengers, part of the crew).

I suppose that in Spain there are probably books where Elcano is the main protagonist of this expediction and tell a different story.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    SW European
    Ethnicity
    Indigenous
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    H1
    Hero
    Sinuhé
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

You should understand me, this is something personal, Magallanes killed my ancestor Gaspar de Quesada.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF27
    mtDNA
    J1c1
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

You should understand me, this is something personal, Magallanes killed my ancestor Gaspar de Quesada.
    Ok

But i still recomend the book.

Page 400 of 427 FirstFirst ... 300350390396397398399400401402403404410 ... LastLast

Thread Information