View Poll Results: Views regarding Slovaks?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Positive

10 66.67%
  • Negative

1 6.67%
  • Mixed (please state in detail)

2 13.33%
  • I'm Slovak

2 13.33%
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Hungarians and Slovaks

Banned
    Last Online
    10-05-2014 @ 02:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,296
    Given: 3,160

0 Not allowed!

Default Hungarians and Slovaks

I keep hearing a bit about Slovaks and Hungarians supposedly disliking each other. I know of the Hungarian populated areas which are today part of Slovakia but I've also read comments from Hungarians claiming all of Slovakia is Hungarian and that Slovaks are Slavicized Hungarians.

So how much of that is true and what is the relation between the two peoples and countries?

Last Online
    07-18-2017 @ 02:37 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Ancestry
    Slavic, Thracian
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Nordid
    Politics
    Eurocentrism, Human rights, Anti-Putinism
    Hero
    The Mother Goddess
    Religion
    Eclectic Paganism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 799
    Given: 1,158

0 Not allowed!

I don't know much about the Slovaks. My father was in Slovakia before few months and his views on the Slovaks were very positive. Even in one pub the people were listening Bulgarian folk music ;O
    До твоя олтар утъпкана пътека води...

Let virtue distinguish the brave

Марко Краљевић

0 Not allowed!

Hungarians came and settled Pannonia plain in 9th century instead of Avars who were as nomadic non christian tribe exterminated by Charlemagne and Franks. Some Hungarians are of Avar origin. Also in Pannonia there were Slavs as well. Their descendants are nowadays Slovaks. Till 1918 Slovaks were part of Hungarian domain. Since both nations are majority Catholic, in the middle ages Catholic Church has seen Hungary as beacon of Catholicism in the east, thus supported Hungarian interests over other Catholic nations in the region - the Hungarization of Slovaks. Therefore, the major animosity between those two nations.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-24-2011 @ 01:41 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    x
    Ethnicity
    x
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

After being on the losing side of war which Hungary had no choice in entering, Hungary's historical territory was decimated as a result of the Treaty of Trianon. The new borders were not drawn along linguistic or ethnic boundaries.

Finalised deceitfully by the Allies at Trianon, without the presence of a single Hungarian leader, the borders were drawn to the disadvantage of the ethnic Magyars, severing milions from their motherland.

Trianon left a huge number of Magyars in Slovakia, roughly thirty percent of Slovakia spoke Magyar, mostly situated in the south. Trianon/Versailles denied self-determination to these people and today is no different. The Benes decrees are still in force in Slovakia. Magyars are treated as second class citizens, Hungarian language and culture is either restricted or outright banned. Out of the three little entente nations, Slovakia is the most cruel towards her Magyar minority.

We were allowed to reannex roughly a third of Slovakia following the first Vienna Awared, populated by 84% Magyars, but were unrightfully given back to Slovakia after the war.

Ideally I want all of Slovakia reunited with Hungary, but due to chauvinism from both sides I don't see it happening in our lifetime. What we must focus on is the liberation of the Magyars in Slovakia, there are still roughly 500 000 Magyars in Slovakia today and there is no excuse as to why these people shouldn't be given the right of self-determination and the option of a plebiscite.

Trianon must be re-evalued and revised to be more equitable to Magyars, and drawn along lingusitic and ethnic boundaries, and autonomy be given to Magyar areas not contiguous to Hungary, such as Székelyföld. Magyars in in those areas deserve as much right of self-determination and freedom as do Slovaks, Vlachs, Serbs...

''May the memory of the Hungarian nation live in our souls, because we did not suffer as much during the thousand years of Hungarian rule as we did during six years of Czech rule'' - Father Andrej Hlinka, leader of the Slovak People's Party in 1925.

In spite of this, I generally do like our northern neighbours.

Last Online
    09-25-2023 @ 04:15 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish, Slovak
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Interesting that you posted this....I just ran into two Hungarian-Americans last week, on separate occasions, that thought it was necessary to remind me that Slovakia was once part of Hungary, within this first 30 seconds of meeting them.

When I was in Hungary though, the people were really sweet. I experienced no rudeness.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,538
    Given: 1,428

0 Not allowed!

Simple solution: have the Hungarians in Slovakia move to Hungary. Problem solved.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    11-28-2011 @ 12:53 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

0 Not allowed!

There is a difference between the views of Slovaks and the views of Slovakia, but the Hungarian nationalists I've met don't care too much for Slovakia at all, having lost a large swathe of territory to the newly created state that was historically Hungarian. As for those I've encountered in this country, old Slovaks essentially spit acid when you mention Hungarians, and Hungarians (like the ethnic Germans) tend to despise Slovaks and Poles. Though I have to say that's among the old immigrant populations, and the people I've met from the modern states of Hungary and Slovakia seem a little more mixed-- probably owing to leftist influence and a decline in nationalism in both states.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-24-2011 @ 01:41 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    x
    Ethnicity
    x
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Forget Me Not View Post
    Simple solution: have the Hungarians in Slovakia move to Hungary. Problem solved.
    Sure, why don't we have the Serbs in Bosnia, Montenegro, Croatia and Kosovo move to Serbia aswell then?

Quote Originally Posted by The Wagnerian View Post
    There is a difference between the views of Slovaks and the views of Slovakia, but the Hungarian nationalists I've met don't care too much for Slovakia at all, having lost a large swathe of territory to the newly created state that was historically Hungarian. As for those I've encountered in this country, old Slovaks essentially spit acid when you mention Hungarians, and Hungarians (like the ethnic Germans) tend to despise Slovaks and Poles. Though I have to say that's among the old immigrant populations, and the people I've met from the modern states of Hungary and Slovakia seem a little more mixed-- probably owing to leftist influence and a decline in nationalism in both states.
    It is definately a big hole in our heart to see our historical territory outside of our nation... We lost 72% of our territory and three milion, or a third of all Magyars were sperated from their motherland following this treaty. This treaty was not aimed at granting freedom to our minorities, but to humiliate our great nation in the most shameful way. June 4 1920 was the most devastating day in our nations existence after Mohács. This affected not just Magyars, but all people who have contributed and died for this land over the milennia.

Slovakia's history starts in 1918 when the Czechs, in violation of the armistice, invaded and annexed northern Hungary and first got it's ultimate independence in 1993. It is a young nation.

'Slovakia' has been part of Hungary since the 9th century and been called Upper Hungary since. Prior to that it used to be part of the Hun and Avar empires (5-8th century AD ), Slavs first started to settle 'Slovakia' during the reign of the latter. The Slovaks have had a close historical, cultural and ethnic ties with us, as we've been part of the same nation over a milennia. This revisionist phobia against each other, this fragmentation serves no one but the Jew.

No plebiscite was given in any of these territories. Excpet for in Sopron, in spite of it's German majority, the people decided to remain in Hungary. If plebiscites would of been given elsewhere, Magyar populated or not, we would have seen similiar results therefore plebiscites weren't allowed.

''The reason why elections could not be held in the occupied territory of Felvidék ( Hungarian Highlands ) was that Czechoslovakia would not have come into existence after the population would of voted against it'' - André Tardieu

''We had to chose between a direct vote by the people, or the creation of Czechoslovakia'' - Masaryk.

Banned
    Last Online
    03-12-2012 @ 07:17 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    American
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15

0 Not allowed!

Being predominantly Slavic myself, I view the Slovaks as my kinfolk... unfortunately though, I've never met any genuine Slovaks or even people of Slovak descent, so I cannot say much about them. Certainly a beautiful country though.

Марко Краљевић

0 Not allowed!

Slovaks in Serbia:

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information