Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40,070
    Given: 10,740

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Romios View Post
    could that have to do with mainland greeks having more IE ancestry vs Pelasgian? And don't mainland greeks still form a macrocluster with S.I, AJ, Greek Islanders and Albanians but it just being split into two subgroups? And how does this incorporate what specific middle eastern/european ancestry each group has? Although some greeks are light, there is usually still a distinct oriental (not asian) look that isn't found in (Southern) Italians, at least from my experience. Also, I phased to get my mom's (laconian) side and even though she showed up with slightly less MENA than my Aegean dad, all her family is dark with a very different look and clustered mainly with AJ and Sicilians, along with some Tuscan which I read were from heavily Etruscan related areas.
    South Italians and Aegean islanders look more Middle Eastern than mainland Greeks. Especially Dodecanese, Sicily and Calabria. Mainland Greeks to me look closer to south Balkan groups while Sicilians look like Cretans and Dodecanese.

Mainland Greeks lack the North African input in Sicily and have more NE Euro which may or may not be Slavic than any of the others in their cluster.

To see Sicilians from Palermo where that result is from see here. I definitely think they look more like Cypriots and Jews. Where are the south Italians you know from? If you see mostly Apulians, Abruzzese and Campanians they do look less exotic by far but still more than mainland Greeks.

https://m.facebook.com/pg/PINKCODEPA...otos/?mt_nav=1

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-05-2023 @ 06:49 PM
    Ethnicity
    yes
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,171
    Given: 7,123

0 Not allowed!

No I don't, I truly don't know a lot of how haplogroups work apart from the basics. it is from Western Crete if that helps any. And yes I did
    ah Im betting on E-V13

As you tested with FTDNA you could Try Neven.org (it's a predictor)

Copy your STR markers on the website (they are found on the tab "Y-STR Results" on FTDNA)
    All around me are familiar faces, worn out places, worn out faces
    Bright and early for the daily races, going nowhere, going nowhere

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

that is a very levantine Italian. I'm assuming you are Sicilian as well?
    Yes. See the photos in my link above to see the phenotypes. I am guessing you know more people from other regions and less Sicily or Calabria. When I say south Italy I mean Sicily usually.

Last Online
    03-25-2021 @ 02:37 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Eastern Roman
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Country
    Greece
    Y-DNA
    EM215
    mtDNA
    HV1b
    Hero
    Saint Mark of Ephesus
    Religion
    Orthodox Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 2

2 Not allowed!

# Population Percent
    1 Caucasian 32.74
    2 Neolithic 25.49
    3 NorthEastEuropean 12.71
    4 Steppe 11.9
    5 NearEast 7.35
    6 NorthAfrican 2.74
    7 SouthEastAsian 2.15
    8 Ancestor 1.4
    9 EastAfrican 1.28
    10 Indian 1.12
    11 Australian 0.69
    12 Amerindian 0.26
    13 Oceanic 0.16

Single Population Sharing:

# Population (source) Distance
    1 Greek (Peloponnes) 4.01
    2 Italian (Abruzzo) 4.16
    3 Greek (Greece) 4.51
    4 Sicilian (Sicily) 5.84
    5 Albanian (Albania) 5.89
    6 Gagauz (Gagauzia) 6.03
    7 Greek (Thessaloniki) 6.19
    8 Kosovar (Kosovo) 6.38
    9 Italian (SouthItaly) 6.5
    10 Jew (Ashkenazim) 6.56
    11 Jew (Belmonte) 6.73
    12 Greek (Macedonia) 6.82
    13 Jew (Ashkenazi) 7.1
    14 Italian (NorthIitaly) 7.31
    15 Maltese (Malta) 7.34
    16 Italian (Tuscany) 7.78
    17 Jew (Ashkenazi) 7.81
    18 Romanian (Romania) 8.22
    19 Greek (Athens) 8.81
    20 Bulgarian (Bulgaria) 8.92

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Eastern Roman
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Country
    Greece
    Y-DNA
    EM215
    mtDNA
    HV1b
    Hero
    Saint Mark of Ephesus
    Religion
    Orthodox Christianity
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

All the Italians I know are Sicilian and just Italian American, which I usually hear are south. The ones I refer to I know are 100% Italian. And for me in Greece (not islands) there are 3 phenotypes, the 1st and most prevalent being the Mediterranean, the Balkanic, and the Northern Middle Eastern. Perhaps its because literally all Greeks have beards which could affect it but my point is there could be different specific components which affect looks, more specific to different invasions rather than merely NE plus Med plus ME etc. All the Italians I know are dinaromediterannean who tan well, all of which, apart from my soccer coach who is from the islands north of sicily, I am darker/more non"white" looking than.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

All the Italians I know are Sicilian and just Italian American, which I usually hear are south. The ones I refer to I know are 100% Italian. And for me in Greece (not islands) there are 3 phenotypes, the 1st and most prevalent being the Mediterranean, the Balkanic, and the Northern Middle Eastern. Perhaps its because literally all Greeks have beards which could affect it but my point is there could be different specific components which affect looks, more specific to different invasions rather than merely NE plus Med plus ME etc. All the Italians I know are dinaromediterannean who tan well, all of which, apart from my soccer coach who is from the islands north of sicily, I am darker/more non"white" looking than.
    Most Italian Americans aren't fully Sicilian. They're a mixture of Italian regions and some even have other European ancestries in the mix.

That isn't consistent with my experience but to each their own. If you look at the photos in the link here:

https://m.facebook.com/pg/PINKCODEPA...otos/?mt_nav=1

I would find it difficult to imagine there are more mainland Greeks who look Middle Eastern than that. It certainly would not be consistent with their genes.

My guess is personal style and dress influence your thoughts since most Sicilian men don't have facial hair and pluck their eyebrows. But in my experience mainland Greeks have an East European influence that Sicily lacks and don't look as Levantine. I would even say southern Spain and part of Portugal look more exotic than mainland Greeks.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

However I will give you this: some parts of the Aegean like Rhodes look as exotic as Sicily and some parts of Sicily (southeast) look more mainland Greek.

I generally think phenotypes align with genes and if they don't seem to then there are other factors influencing perception like style of dress, poor sample size, or bias.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Eastern Roman
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Country
    Greece
    Y-DNA
    EM215
    mtDNA
    HV1b
    Hero
    Saint Mark of Ephesus
    Religion
    Orthodox Christianity
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Well two things for me: A: Sicily did have Arab conquest that mainland greece did not, as well as large scale Phoenician colonization. Which makes sense for eastern Sicilian being more "greek" clustered. However for me at least these percentages don't really make a noticeable phenotype difference as there is a reason "una fazza una razza" exists. Greeks in the mainland have anywhere from 5 to 10 percent southslavic or paleobalkan Slavic mix in them so that does shift greeks a little, but not out of the same continuum. When culture, music and food is included, greeks imo are more Eastern, however that is subjective as well as irrelevant as in the end "there is nor new nor roman nor Greek, for all are one in Christ Jesus."

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Well two things for me: A: Sicily did have Arab conquest that mainland greece did not, as well as large scale Phoenician colonization. Which makes sense for eastern Sicilian being more "greek" clustered. However for me at least these percentages don't really make a noticeable phenotype difference as there is a reason "una fazza una razza" exists. Greeks in the mainland have anywhere from 5 to 10 percent southslavic or paleobalkan Slavic mix in them so that does shift greeks a little, but not out of the same continuum. When culture, music and food is included, greeks imo are more Eastern, however that is subjective as well as irrelevant as in the end "there is nor new nor roman nor Greek, for all are one in Christ Jesus."
    Greek music, food is closest to other Balkan nations and possibly Turkey, I think. But not to Arab countries. But in this thread I'm speaking of just phenotypes and genes.

Apart from Mani most mainland Greeks are genetically closer to Bulgaria than to Sicily or any Near Eastern region.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information