Sardinian
    Ancestry
    North Western Sardinia
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Sardinia
    Hero
    Leonidas of Sparta, Constantine XI, Hampsicoras of Cornus (Sardinian Hero)
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,656
    Given: 332

0 Not allowed!

Default The mystery of Paleo-Sardinian language or languages

According to archaeological findings, in Sardinia during the prehistoric age flourished various cultures, some seemed to be connected to the megalithic cultures present in Iberia, Corsica and southern France, others appear connected to the Aegean world, particularly to the Cycladic Neolithic civilization of the Cyclades islands, Greece (3200-1000 b.C.). Therefore the Paleo-Sardinian people supposedly spoke a pre-IE language or more pre-IE languages. Genetic studies on Sardinian DNA showed some points in common with Basques; this suggests that during a remote age Sardinia had a direct contact with Iberian peoples, while linguistic studies on actual Sardinian language and toponyms show traces of a proto-Basque substratum; according to linguists about 30-40% of toponyms in central-northern Sardinia are inexplicable in Latin or actual Romance-Sardinian, but they instead make perfectly sense if compared to Basque or proto-Basque.

For this reason, (as an amateur) driven by curiosity I started to read some Basque etymological dictionary, to see with my eyes if I could find something comparable with actual Romance-Sardinian language and with Sardinian inexplicable toponyms. With my great surprise I've found many coincidences, some words that I've found can be compared to synonymouses, many other words are instead nearly identical in pronunciation and meaning. Another striking thing that I've found are the Basque Onomatopoeias or Ideophones, which are often composed by the repetition of two identical words; the same thing that happens with actual Sardinian Onomatopoeias and Ideophones.

So I wrote a little list of these coincidences between Basque and Sardinian vocabulary and toponyms. Have fun

Spoiler!

List of Basque Ideophones / Onomatopoeias
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ones_in_Basque
    http://www.pyreneanexperience.com/basque-language/

Some Sardinian Ideophones / Onomatopoeias
    Spoiler!

Last edited by Mens-Sarda; 05-25-2018 at 10:10 PM.
    Non Auro, Sed Ferro, Recuperanda Est Patria (Not by Gold, But by Iron, Is the Nation to be Recovered) - Marcus Furius Camillus (Roman General)

Thread Information