Indo-European
    Ethnicity
    Albanian American
    Ancestry
    Albanian from Okshtuni Vogel, Diber, Albania
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L1029* (terminal founder clade not yet defined)
    mtDNA
    H11a2*-146+
    Taxonomy
    Dinaricized Paleo-Atlantid
    Politics
    Fuck It
    Hero
    Science
    Religion
    Non Denominational Muslim
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,690
    Given: 1,855

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Div1 View Post
    I've been trying everywhere to find something documenting the history of Albania from 500-900 AD. But most of the things I've found were just minor details. Stuff like "The Slavs invaded this" or "The Avars destroyed this building" Are there any good books or pdfs about the Koman culture I can pick up or download?
    Not sure if you have already read this:

http://edizionicafoscari.unive.it/me...10_fBoYPJI.pdf

Last Online
    11-24-2018 @ 06:56 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Illyrian
    Ethnicity
    Lab
    Country
    Albania
    Taxonomy
    Dinarid-Pontid
    Politics
    Third Positionist
    Hero
    Skenderbeg, Ali Pasha, J. Caesar
    Relationship Status
    It's complicated
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 40

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dibran View Post
    Not sure if you have already read this:

http://edizionicafoscari.unive.it/me...10_fBoYPJI.pdf
    This is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for, thanks!

So who were the people who lived in Koman at this time, what did they speak. Vulgar Latin? Slavic? Proto-Albanian?

This is very odd, literally no ecclesiastical documentation of this, but it’s stock full of Avar and Byzantine dressing that was popular at the time..
    Every day is a good day!

Last Online
    01-03-2021 @ 03:33 AM
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Country
    Macedonia
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 105

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Trilecce View Post
    It would be so for all our neighbours too, the only ones preserving ancient knowledge through the middle ages where the churches and mosques. Their churches survived, ours did not. And with our church went also our history. Even so, the small eclesiastical organisations we had could not have preserved much more than family lineages. We are a very small people who once were even smaller. People forget that not long ago there were not even 1'000'000 albanians in the world. Going back to the middle ages when all of us fled into the mountains, we could not have been more than even 100'000 people.
    Even 100k is a big number , i really doubt we were more than 10k during Byzantine times. In 1920 Albania had around 800k people in total, that is just 90 years ago, do you imagine 900-1k years from now?

Banned
    Last Online
    12-09-2019 @ 05:07 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Paleo Haemonic
    Ethnicity
    Gheg Albanian
    Ancestry
    Dinaric and Pindus mountains
    Country
    Albania
    Region
    Goteborg
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean-Dinaric
    Politics
    Classic Liberal
    Hero
    Sokrates
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 850
    Given: 597

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by HERK View Post
    Even 100k is a big number , i really doubt we were more than 10k during Byzantine times. In 1920 Albania had around 800k people in total, that is just 90 years ago, do you imagine 900-1k years from now?
    10k is a really small number. There is no real difference in lifestyle in the mountains ranging from medieval times to 1940. At the early 20th century and at the 19th century we had a medieval population far larger than 10k. Imagining the early albanians of Northern mountains, i cant imagine them being more than 100k, they probably somewhat fewer, but certainly not more than 100k.

However, it never stops to amaze me how such a small population utterly dominated the ottoman empire and many of its surrounding regions. Remember that the turks sent an army of 400'000 against us. We killed tham all with about 15'000 fighters.

Our whole population could not have been more than 100'000.
    If you take the number 100'000 and exclude all who are not in fighting age then you could get 60'000 left. Exclude the women then you get 30'000, exclude the weak, the cowards and the idiots you get 15'000. Whats left is the exact number of Skenderbeg's army.

The suggestion of having a population of 10k albanians can not be true by the simple fact that the albanian fighting force itself was 15k.
    Last edited by Trilecce; 06-15-2018 at 11:52 AM.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-18-2018 @ 10:07 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Ethnicity
    Albanian American
    Ancestry
    Albanian from Okshtuni Vogel, Diber, Albania
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L1029* (terminal founder clade not yet defined)
    mtDNA
    H11a2*-146+
    Taxonomy
    Dinaricized Paleo-Atlantid
    Politics
    Fuck It
    Hero
    Science
    Religion
    Non Denominational Muslim
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,690
    Given: 1,855

1 Not allowed!

This is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for, thanks!

So who were the people who lived in Koman at this time, what did they speak. Vulgar Latin? Slavic? Proto-Albanian?

This is very odd, literally no ecclesiastical documentation of this, but it’s stock full of Avar and Byzantine dressing that was popular at the time..
    I would say Proto-Albanians. Some older accounts claim(no proof however) that Proto Albanian living style in the mountains was Nomadic until the middle age expansion. I can't verify that though. It was just claims of some writers in the middle ages which could have well been bias. For instance if archeological digs were to look at European cultures 20000 years from now they would make assessments based on material culture. Which is not always indicative of the the peoples or the languages they spoke. You have for instance Albanians driving German automobiles, wearing Italian brand clothing etc. One would assume Germanic/Italian based on these cultural artifacts. The truth is ancient cultures were always a hodge podge of many cultural elements absorbed from neighbors through contact and what not. I guess the best bet would be to study the genetics of the remains at Komani, though I imagine no one would want them disturbing burials.

Last Online
    11-24-2018 @ 06:56 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Illyrian
    Ethnicity
    Lab
    Country
    Albania
    Taxonomy
    Dinarid-Pontid
    Politics
    Third Positionist
    Hero
    Skenderbeg, Ali Pasha, J. Caesar
    Relationship Status
    It's complicated
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 40

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Trilecce View Post
    10k is a really small number. There is no real difference in lifestyle in the mountains ranging from medieval times to 1940. At the early 20th century and at the 19th century we had a medieval population far larger than 10k. Imagining the early albanians of Northern mountains, i cant imagine them being more than 100k, they probably somewhat fewer, but certainly not more than 100k.

However, it never stops to amaze me how such a small population utterly dominated the ottoman empire and many of its surrounding regions. Remember that the turks sent an army of 400'000 against us. We killed tham all with about 15'000 fighters.

Our whole population could not have been more than 100'000.
    If you take the number 100'000 and exclude all who are not in fighting age then you could get 60'000 left. Exclude the women then you get 30'000, exclude the weak, the cowards and the idiots you get 15'000. Whats left is the exact number of Skenderbeg's army.

The suggestion of having a population of 10k albanians can not be true by the simple fact that the albanian fighting force itself was 15k.
    I'm sure that the population of Albanians from the 7th-11th century would be relatively stable, and well dispersed across the mountains and terrain of modern day northern Albania, Montenegro, and Kosovo. ~80,000 is a good number, although I doubt they were around in cities.
    Every day is a good day!

Banned
    Last Online
    12-09-2019 @ 05:07 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Paleo Haemonic
    Ethnicity
    Gheg Albanian
    Ancestry
    Dinaric and Pindus mountains
    Country
    Albania
    Region
    Goteborg
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean-Dinaric
    Politics
    Classic Liberal
    Hero
    Sokrates
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 850
    Given: 597

2 Not allowed!

I'm sure that the population of Albanians from the 7th-11th century would be relatively stable, and well dispersed across the mountains and terrain of modern day northern Albania, Montenegro, and Kosovo. ~80,000 is a good number, although I doubt they were around in cities.
    Archeology in northern albania shows a transhumant people living there in that period of time. Meaning they were exclusively herders. Taking their livestock to the mountains for the summer and to the lowlands for winter so to make it easier for their heard to survive the blisteringly hot summers in the lowlands and the biting cold winters in the mountains. My guess would be that it wasnt untill the turks came that the mountains became a more permanent residence. Or in the case of the formation of our people, the mountains would have been a refuge for the people escaping the goths, huns, avars and all the rest of the great migration people. Thus cutting off these romans in the mountains and there in their isolation these romans developed into what we today would recognize as albanians.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information