PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 113
Agnostic TA Members - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Agnostic TA Members

Veteran Judicator Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 10:06 PM
    Ethnicity
    Half Czech, half Basque
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Region
    Basque Country
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,302
    Given: 8,227

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TEUTORIGOS View Post
    Agnosticism is wussy cowardly fence-sitting :

Why is Intelligence Negatively Associated with Religiousness?

Abstract
    We present three models which attempt to explain the robust negative association between religion and intelligence: the Irrationality of Religion Model, the Cultural Mediation Hypothesis, and the Savanna-IQ Interaction Hypothesis. We highlight problems with each of them and propose that the negative religion-IQ nexus can be understood through substantially revising the Savanna-IQ Interaction Hypothesis. We argue that religion should be regarded as an evolved domain or instinct. Intelligence, by contrast, involves rising above our instincts. It follows that an inclination toward the non-instinctive will thus be an aspect of intelligence because it will help us to solve problems. Thus, intelligence will involve being attracted to evolutionary mismatch, to that which we would not be instinctively evolved to be attracted to. It is this, we argue, that is behind the negative religion-intelligence nexus. We respond to potential criticisms of our model and we examine how this model can be further tested.

https://link.springer.com/article/10...806-017-0101-0
    This doesn't actually tell us anything about religious claims, I think presenting such findings as an evidence against religiosity can be easily be considered a specific form of appeal to authority fallacy. And if you're going to claim that there is no deity, you have a burden of proof, as it is clearly a positive statement and as such, requires proof or evidence. At best, you can state that there's no good evidence that any deity exists and therefore there's not a good reason to believe there actually is one - and I'd agree with that statement.

idioteque

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TEUTORIGOS View Post
    Agnosticism is wussy cowardly fence-sitting :
    I do not necessarily agree with this, I feel agnosticism is simply a state of not knowing... it can also be a transition state between a Theist and an Atheist. I do no think that there is any shame in Agnosticism, but I feel that Agnostics should be actively researching, pursuing the "truth", and working toward achieving conviction. Rather than sitting on their asses and throwing their hands up saying "I don't know!!".

Thank you for sharing the article.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Half Czech, half Basque
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Region
    Basque Country
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by x54xx View Post
    I live in the USA, being an agnostic here or saying "I don't know or care about your Bible" is equivalent to being an aggressive anti-religious bigot.
    For some specific people, surely. But how many Americans are actual practicing christians, who are convinced that the Bible is true and go to church every week? It is not a rhetorical question, I'm actually asking, as mainstream American culture doesn't strike me as putting a lot of emphasis on religion, for me it seems to value excess, earthly pleasures and this life, not christian-like moderation, restraint or focus on the spiritual and the afterlife.
    Last edited by Aldaris; 06-10-2018 at 10:32 PM.

Junior Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    07-06-2018 @ 08:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    British
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 15

1 Not allowed!

I'm just not sure if there's an agnostic sub forum or not. I mean, I haven't seen any proof of one, but I dont want to say "there is none" and then it turns out there is indeed one there, and there's some sort of consequence to me for saying there is not one when there was.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Half Czech, half Basque
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Region
    Basque Country
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
    I am not concerned with the term, I know I am not religious, don't care if they call it atheism or agnosticism, I am just not interested in any form of religion or spiritual stuff. I also get a bad impression of religious people, and I consider mentally ill the very religious and militant ones that want to impose their religion on others. of course I think religion should be tolerated if kept in private space and does not bother anyone else
    They're certainly not mentally ill, but their enormous zeal at public speeches about the concept, that the people, who do not follow their faith will suffer excruciating, dreadful pain for all the eternity is very disturbing and creepy.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Canada
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L260
    mtDNA
    U5a1
    Politics
    Right
    Religion
    None
    Relationship Status
    Broken man
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,156
    Given: 2,162

0 Not allowed!

If you add groups like:

agnostic
    atheist
    agnostic atheist
    agnostic theist
    cultural Christians,
    lapsed Christians,
    theists
    ietsism
    spiritual
    deism
    etc

the numbers of nonChristians increase.

Banned
    Last Online
    06-24-2018 @ 12:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Ancestry
    Bell Beaker
    Country
    Portugal
    Region
    Lisbon
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med plus Berid
    Politics
    Independent leaning towards Right wing
    Religion
    Agnostic interested in Catholic Church
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,814
    Given: 6,097

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon View Post
    If you add groups like:

agnostic
    atheist
    agnostic atheist
    agnostic theist
    cultural Christians,
    lapsed Christians,
    theists
    ietsitic
    spiritual
    deism
    etc

the numbers of nonChristians increase.
    I'm Agnostic plus Cultural Christian.

idioteque

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Prettydambrittish View Post
    I'm just not sure if there's an agnostic sub forum or not. I mean, I haven't seen any proof of one, but I dont want to say "there is none" and then it turns out there is indeed one there, and there's some sort of consequence to me for saying there is not one when there was.
    I am speaking in terms of the sub-forums that are plain to see from the home page (Atheism, Christianity, etc.). There is not one there for Agnostics, but perhaps there is a thread buried somewhere.

Do not worry about "consequences" if you mistakenly say something like that. If someone wants to jump all over for you for that then they are probably just a dick.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-13-2018 @ 11:23 PM
    Ethnicity
    Madison Montgomery
    Country
    Cuba
    Region
    Massachusetts
    Hero
    Valley girls giving blowjobs for Louboutins
    Relationship Status
    Dating Evan Peters
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,852
    Given: 3,187

0 Not allowed!

: O

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Antarctica
    Hero
    Turin Turambar, Húrin Thalion and Aulë
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,931
    Given: 20,239

1 Not allowed!

Without spiritual growth; we are devoid of intrapersonal knowledge, satisfaction and understanding. Being an absolutist and following the dogmatic words of others that is prominent in many religions simply leads to narrow-mindedness, barbarism, zealousness and intellectual regression.

One can say spiritual growth is good for having a greater appreciation for one's life intrinsically. Intrinsic meaning that one derives pleasure from doing something because they genuinely enjoy it for what it is. Whereas, extrinsic motivations means that people are motivated by some personal goal/want such as money, power, status, etc. that is prominent in many mainstream Abrahamic religions. Thus, the extrinsic motivations leads to less contentment in life compared to intrinsic motivations.

To be wise is to first admit that we don't know everything. Thus, I feel being Agnostic is a good term to denote oneself. In the grand scheme of things, humans are organisms that have been in this plane of existence for a short time overall compared to the Universe in general. Science is only as good as being an objective mode of study to explain natural/cosmic phenomena. Whereas religions help fill a void in one's life that helps them feel whole in order to gain a subjective, yet, emotionally gratifying understanding of life guided by moral virtues relative to their own personal perceptions.

Our minds are only limited to our basic needs, hedonistic motivations and personal experiences. Thus, our knowledge, reasoning and perceptions are only limited to our day to day lives. We all nothing more, but a speck of sand in the grand design of the universe as a whole. Which is why, I would postulate that there are cosmic mechanics/laws of natural design that may defy or even exceed our comprehension that is more elementally/externally complex in design than say the natural laws of physics that is more peculiar to Earth's evolution/manifestation as a whole.
    “The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.”

- H.P. Lovecraft

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information