R-L21+ L1065+
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1e
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,155
    Given: 1,287

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Ancestry seems to be the best going of the companies. Doubt I will pay for it, but interesting to see your results confirm.
    Yes they do seem to be the most accurate so far, I was quite impressed they managed to pin down not only my Connacht Genetic community but also the Connemara subgroup within it, that's very specific. Would have been nice if there was some Scottish GC's though.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,552
    Given: 29,000

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Albannach View Post
    I have just received my Ancestry DNA results in and for the most part they are as expected. I know from my paper trail that I am pretty much 100% Scottish and Irish, with at least half of that being from Connemara on my mum's side but also some Irish from Donegal and Meath on my Dads side as well as some Northern Irish protestant thrown in too.

My Scottish ancestry is basically from all over Scotland but with most of it being from West and central Scotland as well as a bit from the Borders.

Only thing I'm surprised about is the 0% Great Britain and the 9% Europe West. It says my Europe West is connected to Scotland, so I'm wondering what it represents in a Scottish context? I wonder if it is linked to my Border ancestry or Northern Irish and if it could possibly change to England/Wales if my results are ever updated.

Sometimes I wonder why I shell out money to find out how boring my ancestry is And not even the new update either!

I wonder with the update if you will end up 100% Ireland & Scotland which is what I am now. I was 91% Ireland/Scotland/Wales before the update.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,552
    Given: 29,000

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Albannach View Post
    Yes they do seem to be the most accurate so far, I was quite impressed they managed to pin down not only my Connacht Genetic community but also the Connemara subgroup within it, that's very specific. Would have been nice if there was some Scottish GC's though.
    I'm envious you got a Connacht GC as I didn't despite having a father with long term ancestry there. I've just got Munster Irish. Daughter also got East Ulster as a GC and she has no known ancestry from there.

Last Online
    Today @ 09:37 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Insular Celt
    Country
    Scotland
    Region
    Scotland
    Y-DNA
    R-L21+ L1065+
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1e
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    I wonder with the update if you will end up 100% Ireland & Scotland which is what I am now. I was 91% Ireland/Scotland/Wales before the update.
    I wouldn't be surprised tbh, technically I am 99% Scotland/Ireland/Wales as my 9% Euro West is apparently Scottish, I think it could go either way with the update, Euro West could be absorbed into the Ireland/Scotland catergory or be something else entirely different.

The West Euro is a bit confusing as I'm not sure what it represents in terms of Scottish ancestry, I'm assuming it is similar to the GB component but maybe not exactly the same as GB is supposedly based on East English samples.

Last Online
    Today @ 09:37 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Insular Celt
    Country
    Scotland
    Region
    Scotland
    Y-DNA
    R-L21+ L1065+
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1e
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    I'm envious you got a Connacht GC as I didn't despite having a father with long term ancestry there. I've just got Munster Irish. Daughter also got East Ulster as a GC and she has no known ancestry from there.
    That does seem strange, not sure if your daughter has East Irish ancestry but maybe the East Ulster component extends further south into Louth and Meath, Cavan ect, that's the only explanation I can think of as to why she would have it.

I am not entirely sure how the GC's are formed, whether it is to do with DNA matches or family tree or both, but while it has been accurate in my case it seems like it is far from perfect, I know from my the majority of my DNA matches have ancestry from Carna and surrounding areas and basically all have the same surnames in their family tree's, so it would be easy to establish a GC from that as my matches seem very homogenous. Maybe GC's are harder to establish if your family is from more mixed areas like border regions and cities for example?
    Last edited by Albannach; 06-22-2018 at 08:18 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information