Religion
    Soviest'
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,137
    Given: 5,254

1 Not allowed!

Amharic and Arabic (Semitic branch) as far as I know have very little in common with Somali and Oromo (Cushitic branch), although this is one African-Asian family.
    Apparently these branches have separated for a very long time, or their relationship is far-fetched).

Banned
    Last Online
    01-06-2021 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,829
    Given: 24,541

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Targitaus View Post
    Amharic and Arabic (Semitic branch) as far as I know have very little in common with Somali and Oromo (Cushitic branch), although this is one African-Asian family.
    Apparently these branches have separated for a very long time, or their relationship is far-fetched).
    Indeed. Linguists suggests that the Afro-Asiatic language family is the oldest language family in the world that stretches from the early stone age or neolithic. It most likely originated in east Africa where the most basal branch of the family, Omotic, is spoken in today's Ethiopia.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-19-2020 @ 11:30 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Junior sergeant
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Ancestry
    Black Sea coast
    Country
    Russia
    Region
    Moscow
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    Politics
    The way home
    Religion
    Soviest'
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,137
    Given: 5,254

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Toppo900 View Post
    Indeed. Linguists suggests that the Afro-Asiatic language family is the oldest language family in the world that stretches from the early stone age or neolithic. It most likely originated in east Africa where the most basal branch of the family, Omotic, is spoken in today's Ethiopia.
    I have always been interested in the Egyptian language (Coptic is its most recent version). He does not resemble either the Semitic, the Cushitic, or the Berber.
    It converges with the rest of the African-Asian branches only a certain amount of basic vocabulary and three-consonant roots of words. Linguists speak Coptic is a little closer to the Chadic branch, and this is Black Sub-Saharan Africa already).
    The Egyptian language is (was) located exactly in the center of the Afro-Asian range, which suggests that it is nearest from all other branches to the Semito-Hamitic proto-language.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    02-28-2023 @ 08:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Believe me I'm still trying to figure this out.
    Country
    Antarctica
    mtDNA
    HV1c
    Politics
    Central-Left
    Hero
    Science
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,310
    Given: 1,961

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aren View Post
    Interesting. Modern Eastern Syriac in comparison

1. Blood= Demma
    2. 30= Tlathi, th pronouced like in English Math. Closer to Arabic, but some Assyrian dialects swap hard "t" and fricative "t" for "s" so they say "tlasi" or "slasi" for the number 30.
    3. Sky= Shmayya, very close to Hebrew.
    4. Life= Khaiotha/Xaiotha or Khaye/Xaye. Pronunced witha fricative "x" like with German/Dutch harsh "kh/g" sounds.
    5. Minute= Daqqa, close to all three languages.
    6. House= Betha in my dialect, but is Bayta for Assyrians from Iran and Beytha for Assyrians from Turkey. Original Syriac is Beytha. No typical Semitic "ayin" sound in any of our dialects like in Arabic or Amharic.
    7. Eye= Ena, but is Ayna for Assyrians from Iran.
    8. Time/Hour= Shetha, but I think Arabic loan Sa'aa is being used more and more.
    9. 7= Shoa, in most dialects though is Showa.
    10. Sunday= Kho-shaba/Xo-shaba pronouced like a single word though. Litteral translation would be "first of the week". If it was like in Arabic/Hebrew/Amharic it would be Yomet Kha= day one.
    11. Thursday= Khamshu-shaba/Xhamshu-shaba. Just like with Sunday this means "fifth of the week".
    12. Horse= Susa for a stallion(male horse) and Susta for a mare.
    The word from horse might be loaned from Assyrian (although most loaned words in Hebrew are from Aramic because of the Babylonian Jewish diaspora after the first temple destruction ).
    In Hebrew we say Sous for male horse and Susa for female horse. Also miunte= daqqa is exactly the same in your language and Hebrew.
    All of those languages are similar.

Where are you from? Assyrians are found in various countries in West Asia.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    12-30-2023 @ 01:53 AM
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,673
    Given: 882

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by DR_2001 View Post
    The word from horse might be loaned from Assyrian (although most loaned words in Hebrew are from Aramic because of the Babylonian Jewish diaspora after the first temple destruction ).
    In Hebrew we say Sous for male horse and Susa for female horse. Also miunte= daqqa is exactly the same in your language and Hebrew.
    All of those languages are similar.

Where are you from? Assyrians are found in various countries in West Asia.
    I know the word for Horse comes from Syriac but Syriac has a lot of loans from Akkadian(East Semitic) so not sure of the origin. I would imagine Babylonian Jewish also has some Akkadian substratum. Interesting about the masc/fem forms. In our language -a is masculine and -ta is feminine.

I'm from Northern Iraq. The dark blue/purple-ish dialect group from the Nineveh plains.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Antarctica
    mtDNA
    HV1c
    Politics
    Central-Left
    Hero
    Science
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I know the word for Horse comes from Syriac but Syriac has a lot of loans from Akkadian(East Semitic) so not sure of the origin. I would imagine Babylonian Jewish also has some Akkadian substratum. Interesting about the masc/fem forms. In our language -a is masculine and -ta is feminine.

I'm from Northern Iraq. The dark blue/purple-ish dialect group from the Nineveh plains.
    Are you Christian ?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Are you Christian ?
    All Assyrians are Christian ofc.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Antarctica
    mtDNA
    HV1c
    Politics
    Central-Left
    Hero
    Science
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

All Assyrians are Christian ofc.
    Interesting. I wonder how Iraqi government treats you guys, cause I guess the government is Islamic ...
    BTW most people in Israel don't believe that the Assyrian mentioned in the bible are still here lol. Your ethnicity is quiet (a good thing lol) so we don't hear about it here.
    Just think that 3000 Years ago we were probably enemies because the Assyrian empire deported all of the Israelites out (and basically ruined the kingdom of Israel) lolll. I guess the Middle East was always a problematic area. We need peace here already hahaha.

Are Assyrians like Kurds and want country of their own? or you just prefer to live peacefully in Iraq, Iran and Turkey?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Interesting. I wonder how Iraqi government treats you guys, cause I guess the government is Islamic ...
    BTW most people in Israel don't believe that the Assyrian mentioned in the bible are still here lol. Your ethnicity is quiet (a good thing lol) so we don't hear about it here.
    Just think that 3000 Years ago we were probably enemies because the Assyrian empire deported all of the Israelites out (and basically ruined the kingdom of Israel) lolll. I guess the Middle East was always a problematic area. We need peace here already hahaha.

Are Assyrians like Kurds and want country of their own? or you just prefer to live peacefully in Iraq, Iran and Turkey?
    Not any worse than other muslims of the area. But maybe give them some time, Iraq is a very young state afterall
    We are very few and not found in large numbers anywhere so few know of us which makes sense. I guess Illinois, California, Michigan, Sydney and Stockholm having the most Assyrians outside of the villages and towns in the Middle East.
    Btw there are close to no Assyrians left in Iran and Turkey today. I should've maybe mentioned but the map I posted is how our people lived in 1914(people still identify with those areas today). By the end of the WW1 Assyrians from Turkey and Iran were either killed or displaced to Iraq and Syria. The last Assyrians left NW Iran and SE Turkey with the Iranian revolution and the Kurdish revolts in the 70s and 80s.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information