Received: 120
    Given: 41

0 Not allowed!

Out of 157 locations, the top 4 ranking for Human Capital Index are:

1. Singapore
    2. South Korea
    3. Japan
    4. Hong Kong

For Southeast Asia region, Vietnam is 2nd after Singapore.

“The inaugural World Bank Human Capital Index measures the human capital that a child born today can expect to attain by the age of 18. It defines human capital as the knowledge, skills, and health that people accumulate over their lives.

The HCI comprises three components: Survival of children to school age, the quantity and quality of education, and health (adult survival rates, healthy growth among children under the age of five).”

In terms of health and education, Vietnam takes good care of their kids through 18. Now they need to work on improving their universities and post-secondary education.

https://www.todayonline.com/singapor...-capital-index

Last edited by DaiViet; 10-27-2018 at 08:33 AM.

Last Online
    11-30-2019 @ 03:17 PM
    Ethnicity
    Indian-Chinese mixed
    Ancestry
    Indo-Persian & Peranakan Chinese
    Country
    Singapore
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by DaiViet View Post
    The summary to the link you provided says Vietnam is becoming electronics manufacturing hub for Japanese and Korean companies. Which is true.

Here’s my prediction. Within 15 years Vietnam will be middle income. Within 35 years it will be in the lower range of upper income. Within 50 years it will reach fully developed status.

The country has at least 2800 years of civilization in various forms. Half-a-century of effort is but a brief passing period in this continuation.
    I agree with that timeline.I however don't agree it would reach developed status before Malaysia and Thailand.Malaysia is ahead on China in most rankings so it's doubtful

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Indian-Chinese mixed
    Ancestry
    Country
    Singapore
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I don’t want to get into philosophical debates about Confucianism.

Regarding affirmative action, from what I’ve read the the policies are still firmly in place and supported by Mahatir. Ethnic Chinese are the pillars of Malaysian economy, and their numbers are shrinking. I think the Malay culture is not conducive to economic growth.
    It's constitutional which is why it's hard to remove it.However it has loosen in the last couple of months since new leadership.True Malaysian Chinese are are conducive to economic growth but at services level.50% of Malaysian economy is agriculture which exports are dominated by Malays so their role in this still relevent.Whatever the case is a multiracial country would inevitably be a stronger country for economic growth because they're pulling talents from all cultures.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Indian-Chinese mixed
    Ancestry
    Country
    Singapore
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Out of 157 locations, the top 4 ranking for Human Capital Index are:

1. Singapore
    2. South Korea
    3. Japan
    4. Hong Kong

For Southeast Asia region, Vietnam is 2nd after Singapore.

“The inaugural World Bank Human Capital Index measures the human capital that a child born today can expect to attain by the age of 18. It defines human capital as the knowledge, skills, and health that people accumulate over their lives.

The HCI comprises three components: Survival of children to school age, the quantity and quality of education, and health (adult survival rates, healthy growth among children under the age of five).”

In terms of health and education, Vietnam takes good care of their kids through 18. Now they need to work on improving their universities and post-secondary education.

https://www.todayonline.com/singapor...-capital-index

This is cherry picking choosing out human capital index over every other ranking.Why didn't you post HDI ranking where Malaysia is even higher than China yet alone Vietnam.Or economic competiveness and infrastructure ranking where again Malaysia is higher than China.Or the fact that Malaysian university ranking is top 20 in Asia and Malaysia national university is higher than Taiwan National University.I know you're Vietnamese but try looking at things objectively.Malaysia in some cases rank on par with developed nation.If Malaysia economy were to never grow at all it would still take Vietnam 25 years to reach Malaysia.
    Economic Competitiveness

Uni ranking on par with Taiwan and China
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last Online
    02-04-2019 @ 01:33 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Tonkinese
    Ethnicity
    Vietnamese
    Ancestry
    North Vietnam
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    O-M7
    mtDNA
    M7b1
    Taxonomy
    Sinid
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jungleland98 View Post
    This is cherry picking choosing out human capital index over every other ranking.Why didn't you post HDI ranking where Malaysia is even higher than China yet alone Vietnam.Or economic competiveness and infrastructure ranking where again Malaysia is higher than China.Or the fact that Malaysian university ranking is top 20 in Asia and Malaysia national university is higher than Taiwan National University.I know you're Vietnamese but try looking at things objectively.Malaysia in some cases rank on par with developed nation.If Malaysia economy were to never grow at all it would still take Vietnam 25 years to reach Malaysia.
    Malaysia has sustained an average of just 1.2% annual GDP growth rate for the last 18 years. How soon Vietnam can “catch up” will be dependent on the speed of economic growth.

In any case, this is a Vietnam Economic News thread, so I will post news that are related to Vietnam. If you want to post about Malaysia you can start your own thread about Malaysia.
    Last edited by DaiViet; 10-28-2018 at 03:59 AM.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Tonkinese
    Ethnicity
    Vietnamese
    Ancestry
    North Vietnam
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    O-M7
    mtDNA
    M7b1
    Taxonomy
    Sinid
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Life expectancy of East and Southeast Asia according to World Health Organization. Generally these numbers go up as a country grows economically as nutrition improves, and people have greater access to health and medical care. More resources become available. Vietnam does well compared to countries of equivalent GDP per capita level. With time its life expectancy should rise above 80.

83.7 Japan
    83.1 Singapore
    82.3 South Korea
    76.1 China
    76.0 Vietnam
    75.0 Malaysia
    74.9 Thailand
    70.6 North Korea
    69.1 Indonesia
    68.8 Mongolia
    68.7 Cambodia
    68.5 Philippines
    66.6 Myanmar
    65.7 Laos
    Last edited by DaiViet; 10-28-2018 at 01:34 AM.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Indian-Chinese mixed
    Ancestry
    Country
    Singapore
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Malaysia has sustained an average of just 1.2% annual GDP growth rate for the last 18 years. How soon Vietnam can “catch up” will be dependent on the speed of economic growth.

In any case, this is a Vietnam Economic News thread, so I will post news that are related to Vietnam. If you want to post about Malaysia you can start your own thread about Malaysia.
    Um no again where did you get that number?You don't need to resort to lie to pull up that number.In the span of 8 years,it has been above 5% mostly with FY2017 being 5.9%.No problem posting news about Vietnam.What I do have a problem with is when you diss other ASEAN countries as though no one else is growing.You have to be accurate with your assessment as bias is bleeding through.I'm not Malaysian so it makes me more partisan.
    Last edited by jungleland98; 10-28-2018 at 01:31 PM.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Indian-Chinese mixed
    Ancestry
    Country
    Singapore
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Life expectancy of East and Southeast Asia according to World Health Organization. Generally these numbers go up as a country grows economically as nutrition improves, and people have greater access to health and medical care. More resources become available. Vietnam does well compared to countries of equivalent GDP per capita level. With time its life expectancy should rise above 80.

83.7 Japan
    83.1 Singapore
    82.3 South Korea
    76.1 China
    76.0 Vietnam
    75.0 Malaysia
    74.9 Thailand
    70.6 North Korea
    69.1 Indonesia
    68.8 Mongolia
    68.7 Cambodia
    68.5 Philippines
    66.6 Myanmar
    65.7 Laos

Healthcare ranking:Malaysia #49,Vietnam #160
    Malaysia is most obese in ASEAN so no surprise.US is also relatively low and this is due to obesity.East Asian top the scores because of diet and same goes for Vietnam.Healthcare,poverty rate,malnourishment have less to do with this because Malaysia is higher in all of these 3 rankings to even CHINA.Even as of now,China is catching up to Malaysia in rankings/living standards yet alone Vietnam.I'm not taking anything away from Vietnam because it's an amazing feat but there is a such thing as over optimistic to the point of ignoring other country development.

Poverty rate:Malaysia and Vietnam

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Tonkinese
    Ethnicity
    Vietnamese
    Ancestry
    North Vietnam
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    O-M7
    mtDNA
    M7b1
    Taxonomy
    Sinid
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jungleland98 View Post
    Um no again where did you get that number?You don't need to resort to lie to pull up that number.In the span of 8 years,it has been above 5% mostly with FY2017 being 5.9%.No problem posting news about Vietnam.What I do have a problem with is when you diss other ASEAN countries as though no one else is growing.You have to be accurate with your assessment as bias is bleeding through.I'm not Malaysian so it makes me more partisan.
    “ GDP Growth Rate in Malaysia averaged 1.21 percent from 2000 until 2018, reaching an all time high of 5.50 percent in the third quarter of 2002 and a record low of -5.90 percent in the first quarter of 2001.”

https://tradingeconomics.com/malaysia/gdp-growth

As I’ve said, if you want to post news about Malaysia economy start a Malaysia thread. Stop spamming this thread with your shit.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Tonkinese
    Ethnicity
    Vietnamese
    Ancestry
    North Vietnam
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    O-M7
    mtDNA
    M7b1
    Taxonomy
    Sinid
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Some interesting rice stats. Rice is a staple in many Asian countries including Vietnam. Comparison of rice yield, Vietnam has the highest yield in SEA. Vietnam produces more rice than it consumes allowing it to be a net exporter of rice to countries that rely on food imports.

Source: https://ipad.fas.usda.gov/highlights...Asia/Index.htm

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information