I voted once, it was horrible
    Religion
    All my 9 lives are devoid of meaning
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    The two guys at the right look a bit odd ... are they from the Cape?
    Yes. I don't know, their bass player (second guy from the right) has a Portuguese-sounding surname, almost.

Here's another band from SA I've been into, they more conform to the stereotypical looks (plus, stereotypical surnames of the members).

Except for that guy in the front. Was he chasing parked cars???

He looks better with a beard:

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,917
    Given: 44,995

0 Not allowed!

Oh, now I love Italian women even more ... ... just read an interesting historical bit:

If it were not for an Italian woman by the name of Thérèsa Viglione none of the Boer in Natal would have survived. She was a trader who camped near the Trekkers with three Italian men and three wagons to trade. During the attack by the Zulus on Bloukrans, she fearlessly charged down the banks of the Boesmans River on a horse to warn the laager of Gerrit Maritz against the oncoming Zulus. Because of her action, the Boers were forewarned and could defend themselves - many lives were saved.
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Last Online
    03-28-2012 @ 03:59 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Afrikaner
    Country
    South Africa
    Politics
    Ethnonationalist
    Religion
    Heathenry
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

0 Not allowed!

How about some very randomly chosen Afrikaner actors & actresses besides Charlize Theron? ...

Arnold Vosloo:

Michel Burghers (I remembered Charlie Jade, in which she portrayed Essa Rompkin; sort of hard to find good pictures of her):

From a spot-search on a KykNet website: Stefan Ludik (Namibian Afrikaner) & Milan Murray:

Another picture of Milan Murray, because I can:

Gys de Villiers (the first hit if you google "Die Vierde Kabinet" ):

I don't own a TV, so perhaps someone else could better name the more "current" Afrikaner actors.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-29-2019 @ 11:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Czech Republic, Germany, French Huguenot, Ireland
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New Jersey
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranid
    Politics
    apolitical
    Religion
    agnostic, born Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55

0 Not allowed!

Have any of you ever read "The Covenant" by James Michener?

Banned
    Last Online
    04-28-2012 @ 04:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Lancashire, Bernicia, Munster, Mercia etc.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Devon
    Taxonomy
    Manchester Man
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118

0 Not allowed!

Fokken great.

Video of Wikus and Charlize Theron;
    http://heat.co.za/video/wikus-and-ch...ma-video/4618/

Malarxist-Bidenist
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2022 @ 06:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European-American
    Ancestry
    Great Britain (early 17th c.), Ireland (19th c.), Elsaß Germany (19th c.)
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Illinois
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Atlantic
    Politics
    Wählt Sozialdemokratisch! 🌹
    Hero
    Aldous Huxley
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta (शाक्तं)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,782
    Given: 5,353

0 Not allowed!

At the beginning of the thread, those are some dark Dutch + Huguenot people, some even look like gooks. And that frontman does look like a mong.

Only butthurted clowns minuses my posts. -- Лиссиы

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,917
    Given: 44,995

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Óttar View Post
    At the beginning of the thread, those are some dark Dutch + Huguenot people, some even look like gooks. And that frontman does look like a mong.
    Thanks for your valuable insight. Please be more specific though. Who looked like 'gooks'?
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Last Online
    03-28-2012 @ 03:59 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Afrikaner
    Country
    South Africa
    Politics
    Ethnonationalist
    Religion
    Heathenry
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Osweo View Post
    Sharlto Copley, who portrayed Wikus van der Merwe in District 9, is actually not an Afrikaner but an Anglo-African. Same goes for Vanessa Haywood who played the part of Wikus's wife. The Afrikaners in that film were all in very minor roles, i.e. nameless MNU mercenary, quasi-anonymous MNU businessman, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Óttar View Post
    At the beginning of the thread, those are some dark Dutch + Huguenot people, some even look like gooks.
    At least the two Loki pointed out do indeed look like Cape Coloureds and not Afrikaners. Coloureds have a large ancestral component from Indonesia, from there perhaps the "gook" looks you noticed (which I didn't; they just look like plain Coloureds to me).

Oh, and I remembered this picture from the decor in a pub here in Stellenbosch:

Which, by the way, is the best decor for a pub in South Africa I've yet seen.

Last Online
    02-20-2012 @ 09:15 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Bad Romance
    Ethnicity
    North Italian
    Country
    Italy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

0 Not allowed!

Oh, now I love Italian women even more ... ... just read an interesting historical bit:

If it were not for an Italian woman by the name of Thérèsa Viglione none of the Boer in Natal would have survived. She was a trader who camped near the Trekkers with three Italian men and three wagons to trade. During the attack by the Zulus on Bloukrans, she fearlessly charged down the banks of the Boesmans River on a horse to warn the laager of Gerrit Maritz against the oncoming Zulus. Because of her action, the Boers were forewarned and could defend themselves - many lives were saved.
    Her name sounded Piedmontese to my ears (apparently an adaptation of French "Villon") and I thought she might have been a Protestant from the Alps. That's apparently the case:

Theresa Viglione was an Italian and South African woman famous for saving the lives of many Voortrekkers in 1836 when she warned a group of them of an impending attack initiated by Zulu king Dingane. She is immortalized on a frieze in a Voortrekker monument in Pretoria, South Africa

Born to an Italian family originally from Piedmont, Theresa [most likely born Teresa; EZP] Viglione moved to South Africa with her family in the early 19th century. Her family is believed to have belonged to the Valdese congregation, a Protestant church in western Piedmont, whose members were forced to flee Piedmont—then part of the Sardinian Kingdom —because of discrimination against Protestants by the local authorities.

On February 6, 1838, a group of Voortrekkers and their servants went to negotiate with the Zulu king Dingane. The party was led by Piet Retief, an Afrikaner leader. The king received Retief and his group at his cattle-kraal, and they began to discuss a treaty amending a previous treaty signed in January 1836. Initially he was obstructive about drawing up the treaty, but eventually he signed it. He invited the Voortrekkers to share some sourgbeer with him. The trekkers left their muskets outside, entered the kraal and sat at the King’s feet. While beer was served the surrounding warriors began to dance and shout. The King leapt to his feet and yelled ”buladani abatagati!” (“Kill the wizards!”). The Voortrekkers were taken to be executed. They were impaled and their bodies left on a hillside to be eaten by wild animals, as was Dingane's custom with his enemies. Piet Retief was the last to be killed. Dingane gave orders for the Voortrekker laagers to be attacked, which would have plunged the migrant movement into disarray.
    The Zulus headed towards Natal to annihilate the rest of the Voortrekkers, who were encamped in the countryside watered by the rivers Bloukrans, Bushman and Mooi streams. Gerrit Maritz, the acting commander in Retief’s absence, was near Bushmans River. The Zulus, with a total strength of about three regiments, almost killed all of the Lieberberg, Prinsloo, Botha, and Bezuidenhouts laagers. A band of Italian traders were encamped not far from the laagers, where many women and children were killed. Theresa Viglione was one of them. When she saw what was happening, she jumped on a horse and rode off to Bushmans River to Maritz' camp and warned everyone there, allowing them to defend themselves.
    By the way I wasn't aware of this magnificent monument:

Last Online
    02-20-2012 @ 09:15 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Bad Romance
    Ethnicity
    North Italian
    Country
    Italy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

0 Not allowed!

Is this true - does that quintessential Afrikaner name, Botha, really come from such a typical Northern Italian name like Botta?

Some of the persecuted Waldensians went to the Netherlands (via France) and were later offered to settle in South Africa, to work for the Dutch East India Company. Arriving in South Africa, however, they were no more distinguished from the French Huguenots. The transcription of their surnames resulted in all sorts of misspellings. Most probably, argues Sani (1990:11-19), this is how Viglione became “Viljoen”, Botta became “Botha”, Lombard/o became “Lombaard” and so on.
    (link)

Italians were among the first European immigrants landing at the Cape, their small numbers bolstered in 1688 by Valdesi religious refugees from Piedmont arriving with the French Huguenots. Author Gabriele Sani’s definitive History of the Italians in South Africa even suggests that seemingly typical Afrikaans names like, ‘Malan, Lombard/Lombaard (Lombardi), Albertyn (Albertino/Albertini) and perhaps in some cases even Botha (Botta)’ are undoubtedly of Piedmontese or Savoyard origin.
    (link)

While Lombaard and Albertyn are quite unmistakable and Malan is a good Waldensian (as well as French Huguenot) name, I'd rather think Botta could have been easily absorbed into a preexisting Germanic name:

Recorded in some twenty spelling forms ranging from the popular Afrikans Botha, and Bote, Bott, Both, Bothe, the Dutch Bode and Bodes, and the patronymics Boden, Bading and sometimes Baden, this is a surname of German origins. It has two possible origins. The first being that it is a development of the pre 7th century personal name 'Botho' meaning a messenger, itself from the even earlier word 'buo' meaning to announce. The second possibility is that in the surname spelling as Baden, and possibly also in some instances of Bohden and Boden, the name is locational from the former city state of Baden, and possibly the royal house of Baden. This is proved by the early recording of Rutschmann von Baden, in the charters of Obereggenen, Mulheim, in the year 1398. For many centuries upto quite recently Germany was a divided country, and one of many specific dialects, some so strong as to virtually constitute separate languages. An understanding of this situation helps the reader to understand why for instance such disimilar names as Both and Bading are from the same origins. Early examples of the surname recordings incude Tideric Bote of Koln in the year 1150, and Kountz die Boten of Konigsbach in 1344. A later recording is that of Frederich Botha, the son of Michael Botha, at Gangenheim, Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha, on May 4th 1653, and Veltun Bote, at Feudinge, Westfalen on July 1st 1574. The Botha's have been established and prominent in South Africa since 1672, where the surname is of Dutch-Frisian origins.
    (link)

By the way not all Protestant Waldensians have fled from Piedmont; their center is still in the Western Alps. They're affiliated with Reformed churches and their little capital (Torre Pellice) is one of my and my girlfrrend's favourite places to go (she lives nearby there). And now I know this South African New World connection.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information