Thread: Which European countries have the greatest and lowest range in phenotypes?

Last Online
    04-25-2024 @ 11:47 PM
    Ethnicity
    Eurasian
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-Z17855)
    mtDNA
    R30
    Politics
    Where the wind blows
    Religion
    Awaiting the return of Sikeliot our saviour!
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,186
    Given: 3,169

1 Not allowed!

Default Which European countries have the greatest and lowest range in phenotypes?

I have observed that some European ethnic groups tend to have a great diversity in phenotypes, whilst others can be quite distinct. Eg - Italians seem to me to have a much greater range than their fellow Southern Europeans to the East, Greeks.

Last Online
    05-30-2022 @ 10:45 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Mainly around the Alps
    Country
    Switzerland
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Hero
    Hayek, Von Mises
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 64

1 Not allowed!

IMO Italians can be more varied. Although there are significant regional variations within every country, the Italians seem to win the prize, from middle-eastern looking to nordic looking people and everything inbetween.

I’ve also noticed significant regional variations in some Eastern European and Balkan countries, especially in Romania (gypsies do not count), as well as in France.

The most uniforms IMO are Scandinavian countries, Iberia and the British Isles.

I think this is related to the geographical location of some countries that comprise a wide range of climates and topography, as well as their position between different civilizations and cultures that made this countries prone to invasions from different peoples.

Last Online
    04-25-2024 @ 11:47 PM
    Ethnicity
    Eurasian
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-Z17855)
    mtDNA
    R30
    Politics
    Where the wind blows
    Religion
    Awaiting the return of Sikeliot our saviour!
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,186
    Given: 3,169

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Berlko2 View Post
    IMO Italians can be more varied. Although there are significant regional variations within every country, the Italians seem to win the prize, from middle-eastern looking to nordic looking people and everything inbetween.

I’ve also noticed significant regional variations in some Eastern European and Balkan countries, especially in Romania (gypsies do not count), as well as in France.

The most uniforms IMO are Scandinavian countries, Iberia and the British Isles.
    I have observed the same things, except for the British Isles being as uniform as the others mentioned. I totally agree with you on Italians, they have the absolute greatest range.

Quote Originally Posted by Berlko2 View Post
    I think this is related to the geographical location of some countries that comprise a wide range of climates and topography, as well as their position between different civilizations and cultures that made this countries prone to invasions from different peoples.
    I think that summed it up perfectly!

Last Online
    05-30-2022 @ 10:45 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Mainly around the Alps
    Country
    Switzerland
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Hero
    Hayek, Von Mises
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 64

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by arkas View Post
    I have observed the same things, except for the British Isles being as uniform as the others mentioned. I totally agree with you on Italians, they have the absolute greatest range.

I think that summed it up perfectly!
    Thanks! I put it this way: it’s easier to differenciate a Sicilian or Calabrian from a Tyrolese or Piedmontese, while it’s harder to differenciate an Andalucian or Valencian from a Basque or a Galician, or an Englishman from a Welsh or Scottish.

On the other hand, I think another factor that played a fundamental role regarding the diversity of phenotypes is the fact that countries like Spain or Britain unified and became nation-states long before Italy, which was dicided into serveral city-states until recently.

Spain for example saw heavy waves of internal migrations for a long time: Basques to Andalucia, Andalucians to Catalonia, etc. In Italy this happened as well but to a lesser extent, as there were some Lombard and Piedmontese settlements in the south and large waves of immigrants from the south to the industrial north.

Last Online
    07-14-2020 @ 06:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    Italian
    Country
    Italy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,384
    Given: 296

0 Not allowed!

I agree and disagree.

I agree that between an English and a Scottish or a Welsh there is overall little difference. While -some- Italians there can be an obvious broad difference.

However in my experience the British/Irish variation (especially in pigmentation) is far superior than most other countries I have visited (except perhaps Czech Rep).

Few other countries have such a broad combination in skin hair and eye colour.
    1) Alpine,Dinaric,Mediterranean,Baltic and Nordic should be enough to identify most Europeans.
    2) These are not races, just examples of possible variants. Have fun with them but don’t take it seriously.
    3) No one is a Steppe Warrior or a Hunter Gatherer. Stop Frowning in your selfies to look badass, looks like you are taking a s*it.
    4) We are all WC: Westernized Consumers.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    American
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Good luck figuring me out...
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,244
    Given: 7,801

1 Not allowed!

Broadest range: France and Italy, followed by some grouping of Greece, Germany, Bulgaria and Romania. Maybe Hungary and Poland too.

Narrowest range: Finland, Baltic states.

Thread Information