Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Phenotypical observations at local Greek festival...

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40,071
    Given: 10,740

4 Not allowed!

Default Phenotypical observations at local Greek festival...

of the people I spoke to and KNOW to be Greek.

There are a lot of Russians, Ukrainians, other Slavs, and even Lebanese Greek Orthodox people who attend church at the location where the festival was held, so I made sure to only base these observations on:

1. people I spoke to and know to be Greek -- people were very willing to discuss their culture and origins with anyone who asked, and
    2. people I heard speaking Greek or having a Greek accent in English (I can easily differentiate these from Slavic languages or Arabic).

I noticed, above all, a significant difference in appearance between the women and the men. I am returning today to get food so I will look around again but this is what I noticed..

- Roughly half of the people could pass anywhere in Italy south of Rome, or as common Italian Americans,
    - About 10%, mostly women, could pass in West Asia and similar to Sicilians and Jews who also could pass there,
    - Most of the remainder looked Balkan and showed visible Eastern European influences, but only a small minority looked wholesale "Slavic."

1. Nearly everyone had some degree of Mediterranean phenotypical influence, whether Pontid or Gracile Med. Many people actually did look Sicilian, more than in other years.

Among the people I met from the islands and Laconia, of which there were a significant number of people of Laconian origins (they say "Sparta" area which I presume is the same), the typical look was Dinaro-Med, Gracile Med, and Dinaro-Pontid. Among islanders, they looked very similar to Italian Americans and had all of the same types: Gracile Med, Dinarid, Dinaro-Med, Alpine-Med, and Med with Armenoid influence.

There were also a lot of people, probably about half, who would blend into any part of Italy south of Rome, and just looked regular 'Italian' not even specifically Sicilian. There were also people who I thought would pass best in Iberia or who looked generically Western European.

2. A significant portion of people looked more Balkan, especially the men.

For whatever reason I left with the impression that a lot of the women I saw looked more like southern Italians, but this was not true of a significant portion of the men. Many of the men were tall, with squarish heads, flat occiput, and a straight nose. The people from different parts of the mainland, especially the men, still looked Mediterranean, but in a way more similar to their northern neighbors. Even among those who were darker, the overall "vibe" in the eyes and facial structure was recognizably Eastern European. The men had much more robust features than the women, and less prominent noses. There were some women who also looked more Balkan but it was not as common as among the men.

3. West Asian/Middle Eastern phenotypes were mostly restricted to a minority of women, probably 1 in 10 would pass.

With the exception of a few individual men, I only noticed phenotypes I perceived as Middle Eastern among women. Some women had very dark, round eyes and prominent noses, and thick wavy hair. I would estimate 1 in 10 women I saw, and maybe 1 in 20 men, could pass as West Asian. Some of them did look similar to some Sicilians and Jews who also would be taken for West Asian, but others I just could not place their look in any particular Middle Eastern country, other than an overall sense that their appearance would pass in the general region.

4. While Eastern European influence was present in many people, only about 1 in 20 people looked wholesale "Slavic" and passable in Northeast Europe.

Certainly a few individuals scattered about could have easily passed in Russia, Poland, Ukraine and so on but it was not the majority. I would estimate 1 in 20 people had sufficient Gorid, North Pontid, or East Nordid type influences to be able to pass in NE Europe.

5. There was more phenotypical similarity to Albanians than what is acknowledged on this forum.

I did see many people scattered about who looked stereotypically Albanian, despite the claim on this forum that they can almost always be distinguished.

A minority of people could have passed as part Native American or mixed with East Asian.

There was a man with his two children who I saw and assumed was Peruvian, but then I heard him speak Greek. It was definitely not Spanish, as I understood none of it. There were also some women who could have passed as in the 25-50% Amerindian range among Mexican Americans.

7. A lot of women, particularly middle aged, had dyed hair of an orange-blonde "caramel" color and it greatly contrasted with their coloring.

There was a very specific look going on with many of the middle aged women -- caramel blonde hair, very tan, dark brown eyes, and excessive makeup, dressed significantly younger than their age and wearing very high heels. I was surprised because never have I seen so many women in their 50s and 60s dressed like 20 year olds with clearly dyed hair. My cousin did say this is true in Sicily also, but I had not seen it personally.

8. Greek accents in English, as well as the Greek language itself, to someone who did not know it would be mistaken for Spanish.

If I didn't know Spanish, I would definitely think Greek was Spanish if I heard it. The intonation is almost exactly the same, and the accent in English is close enough it could be mistaken. Not so much for Mexican or Caribbean Spanish, but for some South American dialects.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:34 PM
    Ethnicity
    Eurasian
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-Z17855)
    mtDNA
    R30
    Politics
    Where the wind blows
    Religion
    Awaiting the return of Sikeliot our saviour!
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,188
    Given: 3,170

1 Not allowed!

You are right about the Greek language, I heard many people whom are not familar with Greek say it sounds similar to Spanish or Portugese. Although for me it's Spanish/Portugese that sounds similar to Greek. I think there is also some sounds that Greek has in common with slavic languages, as well some sounds specific to Greek.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by arkas View Post
    You are right about the Greek language, I heard many people whom are not familar with Greek say it sounds similar to Spanish or Portugese. Although for me it's Spanish/Portugese that sounds similar to Greek. I think there is also some sounds that Greek has in common with slavic languages, as well some sounds specific to Greek.
    Slavic languages do have sounds unfamiliar to Greek, hence the Cyrillic alphabet, which is basically the Greek alphabet with some letters added.

Last Online
    03-21-2023 @ 02:22 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Latin
    Ethnicity
    Brazilian
    Ancestry
    Latin.
    Country
    Brazil
    Region
    Minas Gerais
    Taxonomy
    Alpinized Gracile-Med
    Politics
    I don't give a fuck about it.
    Hero
    Nobody
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,837
    Given: 5,025

1 Not allowed!

How can a Greek man resemble a Peruvian? Aren't Peruvians very Indo-Mestizo?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Latinus View Post
    How can a Greek man resemble a Peruvian? Aren't Peruvians very Indo-Mestizo?
    Very dark Dinaro-Med with atypical, pseudo-Asian eyes. His kids all looked typically Greek though.

Rgvgjhvv

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by arkas View Post
    Blasphemy

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Markos View Post
    Blasphemy
    What is your issue with the Portuguese? I do not get it.

Rgvgjhvv

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    What is your issue with the Portuguese? I do not get it.

Last Online
    10-30-2023 @ 08:27 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Country
    Greece
    Y-DNA
    I2
    Taxonomy
    Pontid-CM
    Hero
    Leonidas
    Religion
    Orthodox
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,705
    Given: 4,442

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    of the people I spoke to and KNOW to be Greek.

There are a lot of Russians, Ukrainians, other Slavs, and even Lebanese Greek Orthodox people who attend church at the location where the festival was held, so I made sure to only base these observations on:

1. people I spoke to and know to be Greek -- people were very willing to discuss their culture and origins with anyone who asked, and
    2. people I heard speaking Greek or having a Greek accent in English (I can easily differentiate these from Slavic languages or Arabic).

I noticed, above all, a significant difference in appearance between the women and the men. I am returning today to get food so I will look around again but this is what I noticed..

- Roughly half of the people could pass anywhere in Italy south of Rome, or as common Italian Americans,
    - About 10%, mostly women, could pass in West Asia and similar to Sicilians and Jews who also could pass there,
    - Most of the remainder looked Balkan and showed visible Eastern European influences, but only a small minority looked wholesale "Slavic."

1. Nearly everyone had some degree of Mediterranean phenotypical influence, whether Pontid or Gracile Med. Many people actually did look Sicilian, more than in other years.

Among the people I met from the islands and Laconia, of which there were a significant number of people of Laconian origins (they say "Sparta" area which I presume is the same), the typical look was Dinaro-Med, Gracile Med, and Dinaro-Pontid. Among islanders, they looked very similar to Italian Americans and had all of the same types: Gracile Med, Dinarid, Dinaro-Med, Alpine-Med, and Med with Armenoid influence.

There were also a lot of people, probably about half, who would blend into any part of Italy south of Rome, and just looked regular 'Italian' not even specifically Sicilian. There were also people who I thought would pass best in Iberia or who looked generically Western European.

2. A significant portion of people looked more Balkan, especially the men.

For whatever reason I left with the impression that a lot of the women I saw looked more like southern Italians, but this was not true of a significant portion of the men. Many of the men were tall, with squarish heads, flat occiput, and a straight nose. The people from different parts of the mainland, especially the men, still looked Mediterranean, but in a way more similar to their northern neighbors. Even among those who were darker, the overall "vibe" in the eyes and facial structure was recognizably Eastern European. The men had much more robust features than the women, and less prominent noses. There were some women who also looked more Balkan but it was not as common as among the men.

3. West Asian/Middle Eastern phenotypes were mostly restricted to a minority of women, probably 1 in 10 would pass.

With the exception of a few individual men, I only noticed phenotypes I perceived as Middle Eastern among women. Some women had very dark, round eyes and prominent noses, and thick wavy hair. I would estimate 1 in 10 women I saw, and maybe 1 in 20 men, could pass as West Asian. Some of them did look similar to some Sicilians and Jews who also would be taken for West Asian, but others I just could not place their look in any particular Middle Eastern country, other than an overall sense that their appearance would pass in the general region.

4. While Eastern European influence was present in many people, only about 1 in 20 people looked wholesale "Slavic" and passable in Northeast Europe.

Certainly a few individuals scattered about could have easily passed in Russia, Poland, Ukraine and so on but it was not the majority. I would estimate 1 in 20 people had sufficient Gorid, North Pontid, or East Nordid type influences to be able to pass in NE Europe.

5. There was more phenotypical similarity to Albanians than what is acknowledged on this forum.

I did see many people scattered about who looked stereotypically Albanian, despite the claim on this forum that they can almost always be distinguished.

A minority of people could have passed as part Native American or mixed with East Asian.

There was a man with his two children who I saw and assumed was Peruvian, but then I heard him speak Greek. It was definitely not Spanish, as I understood none of it. There were also some women who could have passed as in the 25-50% Amerindian range among Mexican Americans.

7. A lot of women, particularly middle aged, had dyed hair of an orange-blonde "caramel" color and it greatly contrasted with their coloring.

There was a very specific look going on with many of the middle aged women -- caramel blonde hair, very tan, dark brown eyes, and excessive makeup, dressed significantly younger than their age and wearing very high heels. I was surprised because never have I seen so many women in their 50s and 60s dressed like 20 year olds with clearly dyed hair. My cousin did say this is true in Sicily also, but I had not seen it personally.

8. Greek accents in English, as well as the Greek language itself, to someone who did not know it would be mistaken for Spanish.

If I didn't know Spanish, I would definitely think Greek was Spanish if I heard it. The intonation is almost exactly the same, and the accent in English is close enough it could be mistaken. Not so much for Mexican or Caribbean Spanish, but for some South American dialects.
    squarish heads, flat occiput, and a straight nose

There was more phenotypical similarity to Albanians

LOL man, i dont understand why you try to connect Greeks and Albanians all the time.
    Maybe because we are closer genetically ???
    Not matter what, this phenotype you describe is totally different than the albanian common dinaric Phenotype

For example a square head ,mesocephalic with straight nose in Greece is most of the time Pontid+CM phenotype
    and this type exist out of greece in Bulgaria and Romania.

Albanians are known as Triangle faces here (Dinarics), wide forehead and narrow chin with prominent noses

You cant say simply that someone have balkan look because balkan have a lot of different phenotypes.
    West Balkans are mostly dinarics while west balkans have also many Pontid Meds

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:52 PM
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Country
    Turkey
    Region
    Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,954
    Given: 2,968

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessWin View Post
    squarish heads, flat occiput, and a straight nose

There was more phenotypical similarity to Albanians

LOL man, i dont understand why you try to connect Greeks and Albanians all the time.
    Maybe because we are closer genetically ???
    Not matter what, this phenotype you describe is totally different than the albanian common dinaric Phenotype

For example a square head ,mesocephalic with straight nose in Greece is most of the time Pontid+CM phenotype
    and this type exist out of greece in Bulgaria and Romania.

Albanians are known as Triangle faces here (Dinarics), wide forehead and narrow chin with prominent noses

You cant say simply that someone have balkan look because balkan have a lot of different phenotypes.
    West Balkans are mostly dinarics while west balkans have also many Pontid Meds
    Pontids are genetically low IQ

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information