Australia
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-Z17855)
    mtDNA
    R30
    Politics
    Where the wind blows
    Religion
    Awaiting the return of Sikeliot our saviour!
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,176
    Given: 3,161

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by StonyArabia View Post
    Syrian an Arab speaking person from Syria, often Arabized in origins, unless they are from the Bedouin tribes. Often adheres to Islam usually Sunni, although Alwaite, Druze, Ismaili, and 12er Shia exist, as well minority of Christians. They speak Levantine Arabic

Assyrians a native Mesopotamian ethnic group, that eventually converted to Christianity, with some converting to Judaism, their original homeland is mostly located in Northern Iraq, as well parts of northwest Iran, parts of southeast Turkey, and northwest Syria. They often speak neo-Aramaic dialects.
    Ah, now this is a good simple explanation. Thanks.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    12-30-2023 @ 01:53 AM
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,672
    Given: 882

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Babak View Post
    The Assyrians are a people who have lived in the Middle East since ancient times and today can be found all over the world.

In ancient times their civilization was centered at the city of Assur (also called Ashur), the ruins of which are located in what is now northern Iraq. The city had a god that was also called Assur or Ashur. The territory that the Assyrians controlled could be vast, stretching at times from southern Iraq to the Mediterranean Coast.

The city of Assur first gained its independence about 4,000 years ago. Before independence the city was controlled by a people known as the Sumerians and only gained its independence after the Sumerian civilization declined.

Modern-day scholars often divide Assyrian history into three periods: the Old Assyrian, Middle Assyrian and Neo-Assyrian periods. The timespan that each period covers is a source of debate among scholars.

Old Assyrian Period
    The "Old Assyrian" period generally refers to the time after Assyria first gained independence around 4,000 years ago.

Ancient texts indicate that Assyria's size and power were limited in the period after it gained independence. Its early rulers didn't refer to themselves as a "king" in their inscriptions. Instead they called themselves a "vicegerent" (a word that can mean "governor") of the god Ashur.

"Erishum, the vicegerent of the god Ashur, son of Ilushuma, vicegerent of the god Ashur, built the entire temple area of the temple of the god Ashur…" reads part of an inscription found on an Assyrian temple's stairway (translation by Albert Kirk Grayson). Why Assyria's early rulers used such modest titles is a mystery that scholars are still trying to understand.

All pretense of modesty came to an end when a ruler named "Shamshi-Adad" (sometimes spelled Samsi-Adad) conquered, or otherwise took over, Assur, adding the city to an empire that controlled a vast swath of territory across modern-day Iraq and Syria. Study of inscriptions and archaeological remains indicate that Shamshi-Adad lived sometime around 3,800 years ago and based himself not at Assur but at a site in Syria which is now called "Tell Leilan." Rather than giving himself a modest title, as the earlier Assyrian rulers had done, he instead gave himself a title which scholars often translate as "king of the universe."

Shamshi-Adad's empire did not last for long. After his death the Babylonian Empire, led by Hammurabi, and a kingdom known as "Mittani" or "Hanigalbat" took over Shamshi-Adad's lands. Ancient records indicate that by 1500 B.C. the city of Assur was heavily influenced (if not directly controlled) by Mittani.

Middle Assyrian Period
    During the 14th century B.C., the Kingdom of Mitanni began to fade and those in charge of Assur began to assert the city's independence. Modern-day scholars often call this period of newfound Assyrian independence the "Middle Assyrian" period. At the start of this period Assur-Uballit I (reign ca. 1363-1328 B.C.) conquered territory near Assur and sought diplomatic recognition of his status from the kings of Egypt and Babylonia.

His successors further enlarged Assyrian territory. Adad-nirari I (reign ca. 1305-1274 B.C.) conquered Mitanni, taking over a kingdom that had ruled Assyria a century earlier. Adad-nirari I claimed that he "sowed salt over" the Mittani capital of Taidu and imposed labor obligations on the city's survivors. He constructed a palace over Taidu saying that he built it "from top to bottom" and deposited a stelae to mark his control of the city (translation by Albert Kirk Grayson). Adad-nirari I also used the title "king of the universe" to describe himself, a title which future Assyrian kings would also use.

Ancient records say that the successors of Adad-nirari I continued to expand Assyria. The Assyrians conquered Babylon during the reign of Tukulti-Ninurta I (reign ca. 1243-1207 B.C.) and reached the Mediterranean coast during the reign of Tiglath-Pileser I (1114-1076 B.C.). Tiglath-Pileser marked the achievement by bringing back cedar wood for building projects.

The martial prowess and skill of the Assyrian kings continued to be emphasized in ancient inscriptions. Tiglath-Pileser I boasted in one inscription that "altogether I conquered 42 lands and their rulers" from across the Middle East, adding that he was a "valiant man" with an "unrivalled bow" who was such a good hunter that "I killed on foot 120 lions with my wildly vigorous assault" (translation by Albert Kirk Grayson).

However, inscriptions from Tiglath-Pileser's time, and that of his successors, point to problems Assyria was experiencing. Cities and civilizations across the Middle East were collapsing as a group of people from the Aegean arrived in the region, displacing local populations and collapsing trade networks. Assyrian records indicate that Tiglath-Pileser and his successors frequently fought against the Arameans, a group of people who were displaced or otherwise caught up in the chaos. In the two centuries following Tiglath-Pileser's conquest, Assyria's territory gradually contracted, the kingdom retaining control of Assur and territory near it. Assyria didn't expand again on a large scale until the 9th century B.C.

Fall of Assyria
    While the Assyrians had pushed far to the west trouble was brewing in the east. During the 7th century B.C. Assyrian rulers had to put down a series of rebellions in Babylonia. Meanwhile a group called the "Medes," based in what is now Iran, also launched attacks on Assyrian forces.

Under attack from two groups, while trying to maintain their holdings in the west, the Assyrian military came under pressure. The Babylonians became fully independent during the reign of the Babylonian King Nabopolassar (reign ca. 625–605 B.C).

In 612 B.C. the Median king Cyaxares (reign ca. 625–585 B.C.) launched a major attack on Nineveh, which the Assyrian king Sinsharishkun (reign ca. 622–612 B.C.) tried to stop. A Babylonian inscription said that the fight for Nineveh went on for a few months. "Three battles were fought" in that time, following which the Medians stormed the city itself. The city fell and was destroyed by the Median army who turned the city "into ruin hills and heaps of debris," (translation by CJ Gadd).

The Assyrians fought further battles but their military was gradually drained and their territory destroyed or taken over. It's not clear if Sinsharishkun died at Nineveh or sometime later in a future battle. By 600 B.C. the Assyrian kingdom had been completely destroyed.

Although many Assyrian cities were destroyed or badly damaged, some Assyrians survived the downfall. The survivors, and those descended from them, lived through a long line of rulers. In the period after the time of Christ, the Assyrians converted to Christianity, a religion which they have kept through present day.

Today, the Assyrian homeland is still in northern Iraq; however, the destruction brought about by the terrorist group ISIL (also known as ISIS or Daesh) has resulted in many Assyrians being killed or forced to flee. ISIL has also destroyed, looted or heavily damaged many Assyrian sites, including Nimrud.
    Assyria survived as a region within the Persian, Greek and Roman empires after it's fall until the Islamic invasion. I believe the Achaemenids called Upper Mesopotamia for "Athura", this word survived has yet today in that we call ourself "Athuraye". Generally speaking Assyrians seems to have been treated quite well under the Persian rule as the Assyrian region was quite influential. The creation of the Church of the East seems to have formed with great collebration with the Persians aswell as it became the state Church. There are several old churches in Upper Mesopotamia named after Persian converts.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    Persian-Azeri
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Iran
    Taxonomy
    Iranid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,723
    Given: 5,101

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aren View Post
    Assyria survived as a region within the Persian, Greek and Roman empires after it's fall until the Islamic invasion. I believe the Achaemenids called Upper Mesopotamia for "Athura", this word survived has yet today in that we call ourself "Athuraye". Generally speaking Assyrians seems to have been treated quite well under the Persian rule as the Assyrian region was quite influential. The creation of the Church of the East seems to have formed with great collebration with the Persians aswell as it became the state Church. There are several old churches in Upper Mesopotamia named after Persian converts.
    cheers brother

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    Persian-Azeri
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Iran
    Taxonomy
    Iranid
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

@Finnish Swede Are you butthurt that Assyrians were the first christian coverts and not some wet smelly finno? You are literally the definition of OWD.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 02:30 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Spain,Portugal,France and Native
    Country
    Iceland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,816
    Given: 1,754

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    They are also partially the ancestors of Iraqi Jews.
    they are the ancestors of all Jews( at least the oldest jews, Abraham...)

they came from Caucasus(they was the same people as Armenians)

Banned
    Last Online
    04-08-2021 @ 12:46 PM
    Ethnicity
    --
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,463
    Given: 12,450

2 Not allowed!

On Apricity at least, they are the kangz of OWD.

Their main modus-operandi is focusing in "borderline Europeans" such as Sicilians and Maltese to make a connection between them.
    Generally they think that, because they are Christian, they are closer to Europeans than their semitic kin.

Never seen a creature with such inferiority complex/self-hatred in my life

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    Persian-Azeri
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Iran
    Taxonomy
    Iranid
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kivan View Post

Their main modus-operandi is focusing in "borderline Europeans" such as Sicilians and Maltese to make a connection between them.
    Generally they think that, because they are Christian, they are closer to Europeans than their semitic kin.

Yea, I've noticed that. Though, its a fact that they are 100x times closer to west asians despite being christians. Nazarene is cool though.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    03-26-2024 @ 12:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    ?
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,800
    Given: 4,570

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kivan View Post

Rich that the criticism comes from the most OWD poster on the forum. Genetically / phenotypically we are closer to all Middle Eastern populations (including Turks), when have I ever denied that? In fact, if anything Turks always try to deny their connection with populations like Armenians and try to reach out to the "borderline Europeans" to get away from their kin.

Religiously, we (mostly Christian) are of course closer in faith to most Europeans (mostly Christian) than Middle Easterners (mostly Muslim). So there is a shared faith / morality in that sense.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    09-24-2022 @ 05:26 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Homo-Judeas
    Ethnicity
    500% Judean
    Ancestry
    1000% Judean
    Country
    Antarctica
    Y-DNA
    Abraham
    mtDNA
    Sarah
    Taxonomy
    100% Judean
    Politics
    Judean
    Hero
    Moses
    Religion
    Judea-ism
    Relationship Status
    Happily married with 4 matriarchs
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,348
    Given: 722

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nazarene View Post
    Rich that the criticism comes from the most OWD poster on the forum. Genetically / phenotypically we are closer to all Middle Eastern populations (including Turks), when have I ever denied that? In fact, if anything Turks always try to deny their connection with populations like Armenians and try to reach out to the "borderline Europeans" to get away from their kin.

Religiously, we (mostly Christian) are of course closer in faith to most Europeans (mostly Christian) than Middle Easterners (mostly Muslim). So there is a shared faith / morality in that sense.
    Assyrians aren't "closer" to Middle Easterners. Assyrians are Middle Eastern. European admixture, though tiny, is mostly found among Muslims, as Crusaders didn't rape their own. I've never heard of an Assyrian with a European subclade. Assyrians are maybe the most Middle Eastern group there is. They don't have European admixture. They don't show African admixture from the slave trade. They don't show Berber admixture, in case you don't consider that Middle Eastern. And they don't show East Asian admixture, from what I recall. They are Mesopotamian/Levantine hybrids from the couple studies I read on them, where the Mesopotamian element is predominant (about 2/3s), but it may vary by Assyrian group.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    03-26-2024 @ 12:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    ?
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,800
    Given: 4,570

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pine View Post
    Assyrians aren't "closer" to Middle Easterners. Assyrians are Middle Eastern. European admixture, though tiny, is mostly found among Muslims, as Crusaders didn't rape their own. I've never heard of an Assyrian with a European subclade. Assyrians are maybe the most Middle Eastern group there is. They don't have European admixture. They don't show African admixture from the slave trade. They don't show Berber admixture, in case you don't consider that Middle Eastern. And they don't show East Asian admixture, from what I recall. They are Mesopotamian/Levantine hybrids from the couple studies I read on them, where the Mesopotamian element is predominant (about 2/3s), but it may vary by Assyrian group.
    Yes I agree with you, we are purely Middle Eastern. Most other groups in the region weren't as endogamous as us.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information