Thread: Sun Tzu - Art of War

Last Online
    09-06-2023 @ 09:23 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Armenian and Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Armenian & Swiss
    Ancestry
    50% Armenian, from West of Lake Van; 25% Swiss, from Lake Biel Area; 25% Minnesota German.
    Country
    Armenia
    Region
    California
    Y-DNA
    R1b1b2a1a1
    mtDNA
    U8b
    Politics
    Tashnagtsutyan
    Hero
    (1) Andranik Ozanian (2) Baroness Caroline Cox (3) Robert E Lee (4) Cyrano de Bergerac
    Religion
    Christian Mystic
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,424
    Given: 12,676

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    I bought it a few months ago after seeing it referenced all the time but i haven't read it yet, it's still sitting on my shelf.
    I became familiar with The Art of War a very long time ago. But, it never really drew me in with much interest, despite doing a cursory reading of it. This was a bit of a surprise, because my reading of military history could fill up a small library. I do enjoy reading reading military history.

Quote Originally Posted by Viriato View Post
    I do not. I read the Art of War because it is a classic and I do enjoy reading classics. The book wasn't written with the intention of being a self-help book (that didn't even exist back in the day) but rather as a philosophical approach to battle tactics even though we can use its wisdom to handle problems we face everyday.

Now that I think of it, the Art of War is probably the only Chinese classic that most Westerners get to read in their life. Would be cool to read other Chinese magnus opus, possibly a novel.
    I recommend the Tao Te Ching, by Lao Tzü, a book that I've read about a dozen times, and enjoyed with most of my readings of it. Lao Tzü's book provides sage comments about holistic, spiritual, philosophical and political matters. It comes from the Taoist perspective; as such, it weaves the principle of the yin and yang into the book. The man was enlightened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tao_Te_Ching

Companhia dos Leőes da Beira
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21
    mtDNA
    H15
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,183
    Given: 16,903

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Armenian Bishop View Post
    I became familiar with The Art of War a very long time ago. But, it never really drew me in with much interest, despite doing a cursory reading of it. This was a bit of a surprise, because my reading of military history could fill up a small library. I do enjoy reading reading military history.

I recommend the Tao Te Ching, by Lao Tzü, a book that I've read about a dozen times, and enjoyed with most of my readings of it. Lao Tzü's book provides sage comments about holistic, spiritual, philosophical and political matters. It comes from the Taoist perspective; as such, it weaves the principle of the yin and yang into the book. The man was enlightened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tao_Te_Ching
    Thank you for the tip. I have to say that Tao Te Ching didn't ring a bell to me at first but when translated to Portuguese the title does sound very familiar and I have seen that book around. I will check it.

Have you read any Chinese novel before? Seems most popular Chinese books are the ones that are structured in proverbs. I think I have only read the Art of War and the Little Red Book by Mao Tse-tung.
    YDNA: R1b-L21 > DF13 > S1051 > FGC17906 > FGC17907 > FGC17866

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information