View Poll Results: South Italians and Sicilians are...

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Totally White

53 59.55%
  • Off-White

21 23.60%
  • Not at all White

15 16.85%
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The race of Southern Italians and Sicilians...

Last Online
    07-28-2020 @ 10:20 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sicilian
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Tuscany, South Italy, North Italy, Sardinia, Aegean, Germanic, Scandinavian, Cyprus
    Country
    Italy
    Y-DNA
    E-L677
    mtDNA
    H2a2
    Hero
    Jon Bon Jovi
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 94

17 Not allowed!

In Italy we don't do that distinction. This distinction only happens out of the country (especially in USA) or other people who know nothing about italian history. In Southern Italy, if a fair skin guy meets a dark skin guy, they will never talk about skin or phenotype difference. They will never raise a conversation like that. We just know our history, so we don't get surprised by anyone's phenotype. That's because every family has at least one dark skin person, even the child is totally white. If you go to South Italy, you will get surprise how many people actually look like not from the South. What I understand from this forum, people believe in South Italy they all look arabs. I know many Northern Italians that look more mediterranean than people from the South. Sorry but I must tell you are totally wrong.

Last Online
    Today @ 07:10 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    YNWA
    Ethnicity
    The Human Race
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,382
    Given: 2,856

2 Not allowed!

Genetically there might be a noticeable difference between North and South, but is that the case phenotypically? I mean whenever I look at the Italian national team, past and present, I never got the impression that half of the squad is Austrian-looking and the other half wog looking. They generally look distinctly Southern European, even different looking to their cousins in Greece.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sicilian
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Tuscany, South Italy, North Italy, Sardinia, Aegean, Germanic, Scandinavian, Cyprus
    Country
    Italy
    Y-DNA
    E-L677
    mtDNA
    H2a2
    Hero
    Jon Bon Jovi
    Thumbs Up

5 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by NarLFC View Post
    Genetically there might be a noticeable difference between North and South, but is that the case phenotypically? I mean whenever I look at the Italian national team, past and present, I never got the impression that half of the squad is Austrian-looking and the other half wog looking. They generally look distinctly Southern European, even different looking to their cousins in Greece.

Genetically speaking I can agree, the problem is that I have seen so many posts here talking about Iranian/Armenian/Middle East phenotypes in Southern italians. But I can assure in Italy you can't distinguish a Southern Italian from Northern Italian. Our phenotypes are all diverse in every square of territory. You can't even classify them by town or territory, posts like that make me laugh. Italians kept moving for centuries and millennia from the South to the North, from East to the West. I know many Northern Italians who declare themselves pure Northern Italians but they look just like an average italian. Many informations that come to the USA are wrong. Remember, in USA they still confuse pepperoni with salami.

Last Online
    12-22-2023 @ 06:25 AM
    Ethnicity
    Eurasian
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-Z17855)
    mtDNA
    R30
    Politics
    Where the wind blows
    Religion
    Awaiting the return of Sikeliot our saviour!
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,176
    Given: 3,162

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by donriccardo View Post
    In Italy we don't do that distinction. This distinction only happens out of the country (especially in USA) or other people who know nothing about italian history. In Southern Italy, if a fair skin guy meets a dark skin guy, they will never talk about skin or phenotype difference. They will never raise a conversation like that. We just know our history, so we don't get surprised by anyone's phenotype. That's because every family has at least one dark skin person, even the child is totally white. If you go to South Italy, you will get surprise how many people actually look like not from the South. What I understand from this forum, people believe in South Italy they all look arabs. I know many Northern Italians that look more mediterranean than people from the South. Sorry but I must tell you are totally wrong.
    This is true, I know many Italians in Australia and most come originate from Southern Italy like my best friend from high school. My friend, he has blonde hair and grey eyes but some others in his family have darker features, they are all Southern Italian.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sicilian
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Country
    Italy
    Y-DNA
    E-L677
    mtDNA
    H2a2
    Hero
    Jon Bon Jovi
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by arkas View Post
    This is true, I know many Italians in Australia and most come originate from Southern Italy like my best friend from high school. My friend, he has blonde hair and grey eyes but some others in his family have darker features, they are all Southern Italian.
    yes, that's what I am trying to say

Last Online
    Today @ 07:10 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    YNWA
    Ethnicity
    The Human Race
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,382
    Given: 2,856

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by donriccardo View Post
    Genetically speaking I can agree, the problem is that I have seen so many posts here talking about Iranian/Armenian/Middle East phenotypes in Southern italians. But I can assure in Italy you can't distinguish a Southern Italian from Northern Italian. Our phenotypes are all diverse in every square of territory. You can't even classify them by town or territory, posts like that make me laugh. Italians kept moving for centuries and millennia from the South to the North, from East to the West. I know many Northern Italians who declare themselves pure Northern Italians but they look just like an average italian. Many informations that come to the USA are wrong. Remember, in USA they still confuse pepperoni with salami.
    It's the same thing with us Armenians. Much like Italians, we too produce various types of looks but generally look like what we are and are distinct as a whole.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sicilian
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Country
    Italy
    Y-DNA
    E-L677
    mtDNA
    H2a2
    Hero
    Jon Bon Jovi
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

My niece...

Untitled.jpg

her mother is just sicilian like my brother, and they look mediterranean (my brother is just very similar with me).

Now tell me she is of a different race.
    I give you the example from my family, but in all Sicily there are many families with many diverse phenotypes, from the most typical mediterranean to the most nordic looking, and they are not even rare. Yes true sicilians are "usually" mediterranean looking, but if you go to the South you will realize this convinction is actually wrong. After so many colonizations, the pure southern italian doesn't exist anymore

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,004
    Given: 28,364

7 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Myanthropologies View Post
    Whether or not they are "white" is arbitrary, but they are clearly not fully European genetically.
    What is fully European genetically though? Who would be considered so? We all have some non-European admixture. Genuine question here.

Bloodline of 5/42 Evzone Regiment
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Ancestry
    Byzantine Rumelia
    Country
    Antarctica
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    Politics
    Christian Theocratic
    Hero
    Christian Emperors
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,888
    Given: 4,807

0 Not allowed!

Caucasoids. Skull shapes depicts a mediterranean race which occupies much of Europe their culture is old school European not of the neo liberal type.

Possibly more European than one can imagine.
    “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” Eph. 6:12

Definition of untrustworthy and loose character are those that don't believe in God.

Last Online
    12-07-2018 @ 11:31 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finno-Ugric
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian
    Ancestry
    Magyar, Baltic, Siberian
    Country
    Hungary
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    East Baltid
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 382
    Given: 289

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    What is fully European genetically though? Who would be considered so? We all have some non-European admixture. Genuine question here.
    I define white european as those people who carry genetic markers originating in and unique to (in a statistical sense) the European continent. If you have white genetic (min 90%), european identity, if you look like a white european than you are european.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information