Religion
    Rationalist Materialism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,414
    Given: 12,606

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Profileid View Post
    results for that should be in very soon

I have a lot of southern cousins, who get some SSA.
    Are these cousins on 23andme living further south? SSA appears to pop up in people from Virginia and South Carolina and I'd assume to a degree descendants of people whose origin are from these states. I don't include Louisiana since it has a different history than that of the rest of the south.

An interesting fact is in the very early days of settlement in Virgina Black slaves were treated as indentured servants instead of as slaves and they intermarried with White indentured servants. I suspect the same happened in South Carolina and this is much of the basis for that little bit of SSA% in some southerners in that some of the descendants could pass as White and did so.

Maintenance is the one
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic, Romance and Germanic
    Ethnicity
    French
    Country
    France
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,655
    Given: 1,542

1 Not allowed!

On average probably like .5% https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_...ispanic_Whites
    What to understand about this is that the vast majority of white southerners get no detectable SSA.
    Here are some of my closer relatives on 23andme.
    Thank you for replying and congrats on your results!

Banned
    Last Online
    10-15-2022 @ 07:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic,Celtic
    Ethnicity
    BRIT
    Ancestry
    England,Ireland,Scotland, Germany,Alsace,Austria
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Amazigh
    mtDNA
    J1c3
    Politics
    Freedom
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,201
    Given: 9,778

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Frank Grimes View Post
    Are these cousins on 23andme living further south? SSA appears to pop up in people from Virginia and South Carolina and I'd assume to a degree descendants of people whose origin are from these states. I don't include Louisiana since it has a different history than that of the rest of the south.

An interesting fact is in the very early days of settlement in Virgina Black slaves were treated as indentured servants instead of as slaves and they intermarried with White indentured servants. I suspect the same happened in South Carolina and this is much of the basis for that little bit of SSA% in some southerners in that some of the descendants could pass as White and did so.
    My paternal side goes way back to Virginia originally and I still have some family there even though our branch settled in West Virginia a bit before the civil war.
    I suspect they are further south but wasn't able to find their place of residency(didn't wanna stalk them).
    IMO, it is remarkable that as many white southerners have SSA as they do.

Sup? Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ethnicity
    Galician
    Country
    United States
    Region
    West Virginia
    Y-DNA
    Powerful Male
    mtDNA
    Powerful Female
    Politics
    Of the school of Ron Jeremy
    Hero
    Your mom
    Religion
    Rationalist Materialism
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

My paternal side goes way back to Virginia originally and I still have some family there even though our branch settled in West Virginia a bit before the civil war.
    I suspect they are further south but wasn't able to find their place of residency(didn't wanna stalk them).
    In "7 Years a Slave" or however it was titled the author wrote about how he came across an escaped slave who was a White woman hiding in the sticks in Louisiana. She was as White as any White woman he had seen but she was a slave because of her Black grandma or great grandma or whatever. Each generation must have had a White father but interestingly none of them decided to emancipate the child born and so eventually you have a White woman who is treated like a Black slave.

If you could pass for White and you're a slave and there is a frontier hardly settled it would make sense to make a run for it and 'disappear' in a new community. In the case of that women she would eventually go home cuz the bayou isn't easy to get through.

I remember reading of a boy being auctioned whose mother was Black (I assume mixed herself) but he was White. The author had a conversation with someone watching the whole scene. The man felt uncomfortable seeing what appeared to be a White child being auctioned. Naturally the poor boy was crying. I don't remember what state it occurred but I do remember it was some years before the Civil War.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-15-2022 @ 07:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic,Celtic
    Ethnicity
    BRIT
    Ancestry
    England,Ireland,Scotland, Germany,Alsace,Austria
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Amazigh
    mtDNA
    J1c3
    Politics
    Freedom
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,201
    Given: 9,778

0 Not allowed!

In "7 Years a Slave" or however it was titled the author wrote about how he came across an escaped slave who was a White woman hiding in the sticks in Louisiana. She was as White as any White woman he had seen but she was a slave because of her Black grandma or great grandma or whatever. Each generation must have had a White father but interestingly none of them decided to emancipate the child born and so eventually you have a White woman who is treated like a Black slave.

If you could pass for White and you're a slave and there is a frontier hardly settled it would make sense to make a run for it and 'disappear' in a new community. In the case of that women she would eventually go home cuz the bayou isn't easy to get through.

I remember reading of a boy being auctioned whose mother was Black (I assume mixed herself) but he was White. The author had a conversation with someone watching the whole scene. The man felt uncomfortable seeing what appeared to be a White child being auctioned. Naturally the poor boy was crying. I don't remember what state it occurred but I do remember it was some years before the Civil War.
    an interesting and little discussed part of the history of the time. i wonder how many plantation slaves were white passing.

Banned
    Last Online
    11-04-2018 @ 05:43 PM
    Ethnicity
    Cuban
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Florida
    Hero
    Tony Montana
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,295
    Given: 26,310

0 Not allowed!

Most of it comes from black men in the 1600s who married white indentured servant women before the color line hardened.

Like this guy: https://www.npr.org/2012/11/24/16551...african-family

Sup? Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ethnicity
    Galician
    Country
    United States
    Region
    West Virginia
    Y-DNA
    Powerful Male
    mtDNA
    Powerful Female
    Politics
    Of the school of Ron Jeremy
    Hero
    Your mom
    Religion
    Rationalist Materialism
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

an interesting and little discussed part of the history of the time. i wonder how many plantation slaves were white passing.
    I doubt many but you don't need many to get that very low SSA%.

I always think of the writer Anatole Broyard. He was Louisiana Creole. He didn't tell anyone about his background. He was afraid it would effect his career.

Daughter

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Judane
    Ancestry
    Jewish and Danish
    Country
    Denmark
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,891
    Given: 1,678

0 Not allowed!

I read Ida May a few years ago. It's a story about a white girl from Pennsylvania who gets kidnapped and sold into slavery.
    White slave propaganda was one of the most powerful tools wielded by the antislavery movement.

Spoiler!

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread Information