View Poll Results: Rule 1/8 or One drop rule?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rule 1/8

12 80.00%
  • One drop rule

3 20.00%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ``Laws´´: 1/8 or One drop rule?

Banned
    Last Online
    10-21-2018 @ 07:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Naija Fulani, Oromo, Moroccan, Yoruba, Mandinka, Kongo, Brong, Bamoun
    Ethnicity
    44-54% Euro, 24-36% Subsaharan African, 10-17% Ethiopian, 2-4% Amerind
    Ancestry
    Mulatto Caribbean 44%> European, 40-45% African, 2-3% Asiatic 58.3% french + 41.7% fulani
    Country
    Aruba
    Region
    Khouribga
    Y-DNA
    R1b1a - Europe
    mtDNA
    L3'4 - East Africa
    Taxonomy
    Sudanid + Atlantid + Bantuid < Mulatto Phenotype
    Politics
    free chicken
    Hero
    mother wakanda, and my black brethren
    Religion
    people who think i am 70% euro LOLOLOLO
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,928
    Given: 4,632

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by arkas View Post
    Sure, I would if I had knowledge that the admixture was within the last few generations.

Do you think having such small percentages actually mean anything though? Persinally, I don't really take any of my percentages seriously that are under 10%.
    Same, even though its proven through all tests i take that i am anywhere of 2-4% Taino i really dont feel associated with it all that much, its very much real dont get me wrong but its "just" 2-4%. it's nothing.

now me being <44% african is something i can definitely associate with. Thats almost half my DNA and my mama was black too so i'd rather be black than anything else. tbh im glad i found out im not part Arab because that would make matters even more complicated. i'd rather not be mixed but i am mulatto so its just the way it is.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40,070
    Given: 10,740

2 Not allowed!

Sure, I would if I had knowledge that the admixture was within the last few generations.

Do you think having such small percentages actually mean anything though? Persinally, I don't really take any of my percentages seriously that are under 10%.

The issue with this is that without DNA testing, many people may assume themselves to be more mixed. My great aunt would have guessed, before my grandmother DNA tested, that she herself was around 10-12% African, but she is only half that amount. Should she, at age 90 start identifying as white?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

My view with "one drop rule" is you can claim that as part of your ancestry but not to actually BE that ethnicity. I.e. someone who is 1/32 Amerindian or SSA is not "Amerindian" or "black" but they can mention it as part of their ancestry without checking it on forms, gaining benefit from it, etc.

Last Online
    04-23-2024 @ 08:40 PM
    Ethnicity
    Eurasian
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-Z17855)
    mtDNA
    R30
    Politics
    Where the wind blows
    Religion
    Awaiting the return of Sikeliot our saviour!
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,186
    Given: 3,169

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by YemeniAntillean View Post
    Same, even though its proven through all tests i take that i am anywhere of 2-4% Taino i really dont feel associated with it all that much, its very much real dont get me wrong but its "just" 2-4%. it's nothing.

now me being <44% african is something i can definitely associate with. Thats almost half my DNA and my mama was black too so i'd rather be black than anything else. tbh im glad i found out im not part Arab because that would make matters even more complicated. i'd rather not be mixed but i am mulatto so its just the way it is.
    Oh, well I wouldn't doubt that you would have some Amerindian ancestry. I am sure people have been mixing in Aruba for a long time. But like, for me I have some East European, West Asian, Italian, East Asian etc. I can't imagine I have any recent ancestry from those places, I only put trust in my South Asian and Greek percentages.

Do you know many other mixed European/Black people?

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Eurasian
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-Z17855)
    mtDNA
    R30
    Politics
    Where the wind blows
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    The issue with this is that without DNA testing, many people may assume themselves to be more mixed. My great aunt would have guessed, before my grandmother DNA tested, that she herself was around 10-12% African, but she is only half that amount. Should she, at age 90 start identifying as white?
    Definately not, people shouldn't change their identity no matter what DNA tests show them to be. I've heard stories of some mixed race people who grew up only knowing one side of their family and only found out later in life they were mixed race, of course they end up going through an identity crisis.

Even I was somewhat was hoping that my results would be exactly 50/50, because that is how I identify.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Definately not, people shouldn't change their identity no matter what DNA tests show them to be. I've heard stories of some mixed race people who grew up only knowing one side of their family and only found out later in life they were mixed race, of course they end up going through an identity crisis.

Even I was somewhat was hoping that my results would be exactly 50/50, because that is how I identify.
    The other example is I have a second cousin on my mother's side who I cannot imagine being more than 6% SSA based on where she is generationally in the family... she is probably closer to 1/64. But she actually does look mixed, and looks identical to her great grandfather as a child. Is she white even though she looks like a mixed Caribbean Latina?

Banned
    Last Online
    10-21-2018 @ 07:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Naija Fulani, Oromo, Moroccan, Yoruba, Mandinka, Kongo, Brong, Bamoun
    Ethnicity
    44-54% Euro, 24-36% Subsaharan African, 10-17% Ethiopian, 2-4% Amerind
    Ancestry
    Mulatto Caribbean 44%> European, 40-45% African, 2-3% Asiatic 58.3% french + 41.7% fulani
    Country
    Aruba
    Region
    Khouribga
    Y-DNA
    R1b1a - Europe
    mtDNA
    L3'4 - East Africa
    Taxonomy
    Sudanid + Atlantid + Bantuid < Mulatto Phenotype
    Politics
    free chicken
    Hero
    mother wakanda, and my black brethren
    Religion
    people who think i am 70% euro LOLOLOLO
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,928
    Given: 4,632

0 Not allowed!

Oh, well I wouldn't doubt that you would have some Amerindian ancestry. I am sure people have been mixing in Aruba for a long time. But like, for me I have some East European, West Asian, Italian, East Asian etc. I can't imagine I have any recent ancestry from those places, I only put trust in my South Asian and Greek percentages.

Do you know many other mixed European/Black people?

yeah, alot of curacaoans and arubans are mixed european/black/taino so i know plenty, most of my family is mixed euro aswell (anywhere inbetween 11-27%) their mother is half dutch, but if im not mistaken the euro percentage amongst siblings can be very very different from eachother. one scores 30% dutch, the other scores 9%, the other scores 15%, etc etc, theres no concrete awsner. im pretty convinced i inherited only 3-6% dutch from my mom's side, even though i shoulda inherited 12.5%.

and also, ur west asian is probably from ur greek ancestry. so it's probably pretty real. it might not be recent but it definitely exists.

Eitherway, i also have a mixed euro/curacaoan classmate at my college. he is taller than me, more ectomorph, and also has stronger atlantid features, ppl usually mistake him for moroccan of sorts. however he has huge bug-like eyes and veryy thick black eyebrows XD like to the point it looks kinda ugly IMO. but yeah, he's half dutch half afro-caribbean. i am half american half afro-caribbean XD we look pretty damn different. so yeah, hes the only person i know thats very alike to me genetically, only i suspect i am more african admixed than he is.

he has a african shaped nose sure, darker natural skin tone than that i do, not much darker btw, and he has lighter hair, like a brownish-black and not a black-brown color like i do. eitherway he does have wavyish hair naturally but furthermore i dont think hes any more than 35% SSA since curacaoans are also mixed with euro, and him being half dutch idk. he could also be mulatto for all i know but he has strong euro traits

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Eurasian
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-Z17855)
    mtDNA
    R30
    Politics
    Where the wind blows
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    The other example is I have a second cousin on my mother's side who I cannot imagine being more than 6% SSA based on where she is generationally in the family... she is probably closer to 1/64. But she actually does look mixed, and looks identical to her great grandfather as a child. Is she white even though she looks like a mixed Caribbean Latina?
    Well, if someone does physically pass as a certain race and has known admixture, ideally I'd hope the parents would raise the child with an identity that suits her.

I have a lot of mixed race people in my family, most on my Indian side but I also have one half Greek/Chinese 2nd cousin. Everyone I know who is first generation mixed identifies as mixed race or Eurasian. I have a few 1/4 Indian cousins and one 1/2 Indian/Irish cousin, I believe they can all pass as "White", my half Irish cousin identifies as mixed of course. But I have no clue about how my 1/4 Indian cousins, who are still infants, how they will identify when they get older.

Although, for someone to be 1/64 mixed with SSA, that is quite distant. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Eurasian
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-Z17855)
    mtDNA
    R30
    Politics
    Where the wind blows
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by YemeniAntillean View Post
    yeah, alot of curacaoans and arubans are mixed european/black/taino so i know plenty, most of my family is mixed euro aswell (anywhere inbetween 11-27%) their mother is half dutch, but if im not mistaken the euro percentage amongst siblings can be very very different from eachother. one scores 30% dutch, the other scores 9%, the other scores 15%, etc etc, theres no concrete awsner. im pretty convinced i inherited only 3-6% dutch from my mom's side, even though i shoulda inherited 12.5%.

and also, ur west asian is probably from ur greek ancestry. so it's probably pretty real. it might not be recent but it definitely exists.

Eitherway, i also have a mixed euro/curacaoan classmate at my college. he is taller than me, more ectomorph, and also has stronger atlantid features, ppl usually mistake him for moroccan of sorts. however he has huge bug-like eyes and veryy thick black eyebrows XD like to the point it looks kinda ugly IMO. but yeah, he's half dutch half afro-caribbean. i am half american half afro-caribbean XD we look pretty damn different. so yeah, hes the only person i know thats very alike to me genetically, only i suspect i am more african admixed than he is.

he has a african shaped nose sure, darker natural skin tone than that i do, not much darker btw, and he has lighter hair, like a brownish-black and not a black-brown color like i do. eitherway he does have wavyish hair naturally but furthermore i dont think hes any more than 35% SSA since curacaoans are also mixed with euro, and him being half dutch idk. he could also be mulatto for all i know but he has strong euro traits
    It could be because of your European admixture from your dad, coupled with the European admxiture from your dad, it was hard to distinguish.

The West Asian, it's odd because my dad didn't have Caucasus or West Asian in his Ancestrydna results, neither my mum. My Grandma did though. I suppose it just goes to show how the tests are not 100% accurate.

That's cool you know someone from a similar background as you, outside of my family I have yet to meet someone with a similar mix to me.

You never know how a mixed race baby will turn out, they could look more European, more African but usually they look like something in between.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Although, for someone to be 1/64 mixed with SSA, that is quite distant. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide.

It is the same amount I have and it is shocking to me that it shows in her. I think she should genetically test because she does have another grandparent (unrelated to me) and another great-grandparent of "Portuguese American" origin (also unrelated to me) who may themselves have had some hidden SSA, so it could be higher. But from the line I am descended from I cannot imagine more than 1/64.

Either way, the girl looks mixed, and I would find it offensive for someone to tell her the percentage of ancestry matters more than what is likely her experience of being mistaken for non-white, asked if she is adopted (her father, related to me, looks white), etc.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information