Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ancient Church Hidden in Turkish Lake. And a Pagan Temple May Lie Beneath It.

Banned
    Last Online
    08-14-2019 @ 07:40 AM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Constantinople and Thessaloniki
    Country
    Turkey
    Region
    Kurdistan
    Y-DNA
    J2
    Taxonomy
    DinaroMed
    Politics
    Monarchy
    Religion
    Orthodox
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,720
    Given: 1,142

0 Not allowed!

Sumella monastery in Turkey

Στάλθηκε από το G3311 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Banned
    Last Online
    10-09-2018 @ 02:59 PM
    Ethnicity
    Turkic
    Country
    Turkey
    Taxonomy
    Machoid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 733
    Given: 209

1 Not allowed!

Allahu Akbar. I'm so happy.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-19-2024 @ 01:06 PM
    Ethnicity
    Visayan (Filipino)
    Country
    Philippines
    Y-DNA
    The largest BBC in the TA but you can't suck it because I made a vow of celibacy. Chastity is sexy!
    Politics
    Righteous
    Hero
    DN8, Carlito's Way, The Lawspeaker, Toppo900, Teutone and KuriousKatKommittee!
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Repentant of my former man-whoreness. But you like it if naughty?! Ooh let me spank you my sinner!
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,721
    Given: 6,335

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon View Post
    Interesting how you as a Catholic (I used to be) are open to this. Im telling people all religions are syncretic. There is also lots of symbology.
    Christians have an inconsistent approach to incorporating native cultures or religions they encounter. Sometimes, they burn and destroy native temples as what happened to some Aztec temples in Tenochtilan or what the Spanish did when they burned a Mosque here during the Castilian War.

Or they could simply do what they did in the Great Pyramid of Cholula where they built a Chapel over an Aztec temple.

But theyre not nearly as much fanatical Iconoclasts as the Muslims who literally destroyed all the native images they encounter as "Idols".

Whereas sometimes, Christians may destroy an idol or so, and, at other times, subsume a Pagan goddess as an aspect of the Virgin Mary or turn local dieties and legendary heroes into Saints like with Ilya Muromets who's hagriography combines older Pagan Rus legends with Orthodox spirituality.

Personally, I prefer being Christian in this context since I get to absorb a new better paradign without totally abandoning the redeeming aspects of my ancestral worship. Although some, which are irideemably heathen, need to be discarded though.

Sent from my CHM-U01 using Tapatalk

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Canada
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L260
    mtDNA
    U5a1
    Politics
    Right
    Religion
    None
    Relationship Status
    Broken man
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,156
    Given: 2,162

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
    Christians have an inconsistent approach to incorporating native cultures or religions they encounter. Sometimes, they burn and destroy native temples as what happened to some Aztec temples in Tenochtilan or what the Spanish did when they burned a Mosque here during the Castilian War.

Or they could simply do what they did in the Great Pyramid of Cholula where they built a Chapel over an Aztec temple.

But theyre not nearly as much fanatical Iconoclasts as the Muslims who literally destroyed all the native images they encounter as "Idols".

Whereas sometimes, Christians may destroy an idol or so, and, at other times, subsume a Pagan goddess as an aspect of the Virgin Mary or turn local dieties and legendary heroes into Saints like with Ilya Muromets who's hagriography combines older Pagan Rus legends with Orthodox spirituality.

Personally, I prefer being Christian in this context since I get to absorb a new better paradign without totally abandoning the redeeming aspects of my ancestral worship. Although some, which are irideemably heathen, need to be discarded though.
    Nothing wrong with that. Pagans should try to learn the influence in Christianity and still in Western world.

Sunday = Sun, Sol, Helio,
    Monday = Moon, Luna, Selene
    Tuesday = Mars, Ares, Tyr
    etc.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Visayan (Filipino)
    Country
    Philippines
    Y-DNA
    The largest BBC in the TA but you can't suck it because I made a vow of celibacy. Chastity is sexy!
    Politics
    Righteous
    Hero
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Repentant of my former man-whoreness. But you like it if naughty?! Ooh let me spank you my sinner!
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Macedon View Post
    Sumella monastery in Turkey

Στάλθηκε από το G3311 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
    Beautiful!

Christianity itself is a Syncretist religion. We worship a Hebrew Man-God, Yeshua, who was considered the incarnation of the Greek Logos (A Philosophical Neoplatonic term for "Ordering Principle of the Universe"), hence, why Christ is also called by the Greek letters... Alpha and Omega, meaning the first and the last, and that the Christian religion was spread in the Roman Empire. And Hebrew culture during the time of Christ, itself has roots with the Canaanite, Babylonian, Persian and Egyptian cultures that once interacted with ancient Israel.

So, Christianity is also affected by this.

Christianity is basically Greco-Roman Philosophy fused with Jewish Theology, which flowered quite beautifuly in the Hellenic Byzantine Empire.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Visayan (Filipino)
    Country
    Philippines
    Y-DNA
    Politics
    Righteous
    Hero
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Nothing wrong with that. Pagans should try to learn the influence in Christianity and still in Western world.

Sunday = Sun, Sol, Helio,
    Monday = Moon, Luna, Selene
    Tuesday = Mars, Ares, Tyr
    etc.
    Yes those who revert to Paganism from Christianity should retain the redeeming features of Christianity, sort of like the Pagan version of Mudejar.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Visayan (Filipino)
    Country
    Philippines
    Y-DNA
    Politics
    Righteous
    Hero
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by İrle View Post
    Allahu Akbar. I'm so happy.
    I'm happy too.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Visayan (Filipino)
    Country
    Philippines
    Y-DNA
    Politics
    Righteous
    Hero
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Not all gods become incorporated into the choir of saints and angels though. Some gods outright become demons in Christianity, one of my favorite demons is Astoreth.

I like his history. First she was the Babylonian Goddess Ishtar, Goddess of Justice, then She is mentioned in the Hebrew Bible in the forms Ashtoreth (singular) and Ashtaroth (plural, in reference to multiple statues of her). When the Hebrew Bible was translated to Greek "She" became a "He" because the ending "Roth" is masculine in Greek.

This latter form was directly transliterated in the early Greek and Latin versions of the Bible, where it was less apparent that it had been a plural feminine in Hebrew.

He was then for a brief while considered as an angel of Elohim.

The pseudepigraphal work "Testament of Solomon", attributed to King Solomon of Israel, but thought to date to the early centuries CE, mentions "Asteraoth" (in Greek) as an angel, who is opposed to the demon of power (cf.1 Kings11:4–5).

Then he became outright demon for hire in The Book of Abramelin, purportedly written in Hebrew circa. 1458, and recurred in most occult grimoires of the following centuries.

The Book of Abramelintells the story of an Egyptian mage named Abraham pronunciation: (ɛ́jbrəham), or Abra-Melin, who taught a system of magic to Abraham of Worms, a Jew in Worms, Germany

Now, she/he as a Babylonian Goddess/Christian demon slash magical slave of Egyptian trained Jewish sorcerers can be invoked to teach you math. Lelz.

Last Online
    04-25-2024 @ 04:20 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    French
    Country
    France
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,124
    Given: 1,884

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
    Do you think that Notre Dame Cathedral is also built over a Pagan Temple?
    It's the case of numerous religious buildings.

Notre-Dame de Paris

It is believed that at the beginning of the Christian era there existed on the site of Notre-Dame a Gallo-Roman pagan temple dedicated to Jupiter (as evidenced by the discovery of the Pillar of the Boatmen, discovered in 1711)
    https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cath%C...-Dame_de_Paris

Pillar of the Boatmen

The Pillar of the Boatmen (French Pilier des nautes) is a square-section stone bas-relief with depictions of several deities, both Gaulish and Roman. Dating to the first quarter of the 1st century CE, it originally stood in a temple in the Gallo-Roman civitas of Lutetia (modern Paris, France) and is one of the earliest pieces of representational Gaulish art to carry a written inscription (Hatt 1952).

The Christian cathedral of St. Etienne was founded by Childebert in 528 AD on the site of the Gallo-Roman temple; Notre-Dame de Paris was in turn built over this in 1163 AD.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillar_of_the_Boatmen
    POUR UNE HISTOIRE DÉBARRASSÉE DES NOMBREUX MENSONGES
    Vincent Reynouard: Je suis ingénieur chimiste et historien révisionniste français. J’expose de la façon la plus pédagogique possible les arguments révisionnistes. Je propose, j’expose, je n’impose rien. Chacun doit (ou devrait) ętre libre de se faire une opinion sur le sujet. .

Malarxist-Bidenist
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2022 @ 06:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European-American
    Ancestry
    Great Britain (early 17th c.), Ireland (19th c.), Elsaß Germany (19th c.)
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Illinois
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Atlantic
    Politics
    Wählt Sozialdemokratisch! 🌹
    Hero
    Aldous Huxley
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta (शाक्तं)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,782
    Given: 5,353

2 Not allowed!

There is a theory that many of the early Christian buildings and such things were build on top of older pagan structures.
    Or another theory that they would borrow some ideas from various pagan beliefs, replace, and expand Christianity. Perhaps making converting easier.
    It's not a theory. There are many churches built over pagan temples. Santa Maria Sopra Minerva is one of the most famous. There are Mithraic altars found in the basements of many Roman-built churches as well.
    Last edited by Óttar; 09-06-2018 at 03:09 PM. Reason: built* not build

Only butthurted clowns minuses my posts. -- Лиссиы

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information