Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,167
    Given: 16,884

1 Not allowed!

It is interesting to see how the perception of what is a healthy diet can change so much from one country to another. Nearly everything that you ate throughout the day would be considered unhealthy or fast-food here in Portugal.

If you want to loose weight then you should avoid white bread, that includes your toast and burger buns. If you can not live without bread then replace it with German brown bread at least.

For breakfast I would eat oats, I like mine with oat milk or coconut milk. If you find the flavour to be bland you can add some red fruit to it, preferably fresh if you have it available or you can always buy it frozen.

If you want to eat eggs in the morning it is fine, get a good non-stick pan and do scrambled egg whites without butter, oil or any other fat source. Since you are worried about your sodium intake do not use salt, use instead black pepper or any other spice\herbs that you like. Natural fresh juice or a cup of coffee is also fine if you want to.

You said that there are days where you feel without appetite in the morning. Sometimes I feel as well, so I just have a smoothie. You will have to find one that you like and suits your goals. Personally my favourite one is pretty simple, one liter of water, 100 grams of spinach, one banana, 2-3 dates, I blend it all together and I am ready to go. It won't taste like spinach by the way.

Forget the burgers and the burritos. I am inclined to believe that you are not preparing and cooking your own meals? Are they pre-made\frozen or you order them from a restaurant? Preparing your meals ahead is the best way to avoid mistakes and you will know for sure what they are made of.

Protein bars are one of the worst snacks you can have. It is really terrible, just check the nutritious values of them. If you want a practical snack high on protein you are better off with a can of tuna fish or a Scandinavian yoghurt like skyr.

If you have a craving for something sweet then eat a piece of dark chocolate with at least 70% cocoa or add more fruit into your diet instead of cookies.

I didn't get why you think that soups are high on sodium to be honest, unless they are really different from the ones we do in Portugal. Most of our soups are nothing more than water, vegetables, legumes, a pinch of salt and a dash of olive oil. I have seen on foreign cooking channels soups that have butter, cheese, flour or sour cream on them (), all of that sounds really weird to me, are those ingredients that are commonly used on American soups?
    YDNA: R1b-L21 > DF13 > S1051 > FGC17906 > FGC17907 > FGC17866

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:05 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic, Germanic, Anglo, Baltic
    Ethnicity
    English, French, Irish, Scottish, German, Distant American Indian
    Ancestry
    Mother's Side: Colonial Virginia. Fathers Side: German/Lithuania early 1900s.
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Y-DNA
    R-M417
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Alpine-Atlantid-CM
    Politics
    Paleo Conservative
    Hero
    General Lee
    Religion
    Christian Protestant
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,022
    Given: 10,260

0 Not allowed!

I usually want to have more protein in my diet. I agree about protein bars being bad. I don't think bread matters. I'm simply having too much to eat. I probably also can skip breakfast, since I'm never hungry when I get up.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information