Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,829
    Given: 24,541

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by faisalsaud1987 View Post
    Highly Unlikely, Al-Jallad suggest Arab originated in Jordan because the identity was used as form of political-territorial identity by foreign empires as simple as that. It seems like a case of politicize identity.
    Macdonald suggests that the identity originated as a self identification by the ancient Arabs similar to the Amorites.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-19-2024 @ 01:06 PM
    Ethnicity
    Visayan (Filipino)
    Country
    Philippines
    Y-DNA
    The largest BBC in the TA but you can't suck it because I made a vow of celibacy. Chastity is sexy!
    Politics
    Righteous
    Hero
    DN8, Carlito's Way, The Lawspeaker, Toppo900, Teutone and KuriousKatKommittee!
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Repentant of my former man-whoreness. But you like it if naughty?! Ooh let me spank you my sinner!
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,721
    Given: 6,335

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by StonyArabia View Post
    Pretty cool. Yes the Arabs seem to have originated around the Jordan region. Also Arab in it's origin means "nomad" and in Hebrew it means "mixed" or to be dark, referring probably to their dark skin/ brown reddish color and mixed due to many have assimilated into the Arab/Arabian ethnos. However the people in the Arabian peninsula did speak various dialects of North Arabic, well those in the South spoke South Arabian or South Semitic languages. Interestingly enough some South Arabian groups like the Ghassanid and Lakhmid had switched from South Arabian to North Arabian, which was taking place. What really made North Arabic conducive to be adopted as lingua franca, was that Aramaic was very close to Northern Arabic, and not mention the political and cultural importance of the Nabateans whose influence extended from the Southern Levant and northernwest parts of Arabia as far as Western Iraq. The Nabateans were an Arabian people who had adopted Aramaic, as they were not of Aramean stock, but their Aramaic had strong Northern Arabic components that it rendered it to not be mutually intelligible with other Aramaic dialects. Also the term was wrongly used for any Aramaic speaker at the time. The influence of the Nabateans weakens greatly due to the Byzantines and of course the incoming Ghassanids who had subdued them. The Byzantines also favored the Ghassanids over the Nabatean former elite, who were not loyal, and often revolted, and always rejected "Hellenization" and "Christianization". It's believed some pagan Nabatean cults existed in the Syrian Desert and western regions of Iraq as late as the 17th century A.D. Other Arabian tribes in the region especially the Desert frontiers had kept grudge against the Greco-Roman rulers, and thus their transition to Islam and beefing the Arabian armies is not even strange. This in particular true of the Kalbids who eventually intermarried with the Ummyads.

Well Arabs did not identify as ethnicity due to their many tribes, this would eventually change with the rise of Islam and the unification of the Arabian peninsula, and eventually the Arab identity will be formed. However this does not mean they never identified as such. As we find the term Arab among many of them, but solid ethnic identity was not used, because the Arabian tribes in a way were their "nations", but most tribes have intermingled so much so, that they are all Arabs today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppo900 View Post
    They're the only people today that gives us a glimpse of the original Israelites, yes. They're more closer to the Lebanese and Northern Palestinians like myself. That's cool, bro. Can't wait to see the results.
    Are Yemenis part of the original group of Arabs or are they just Arabized?

Most of our former Sultans here in the Philippines claim descent from Yemen. Rajah Suleiman of Manila, a puppet rajah installed by Brunei (Who supplanted a local ruler, the Lakan of Tondo) had Sultan Bolkiah of Brunei as an ancestor, who in turn claim ancestry from Yemenese Arabs and these Yemenis are our links to the Arabian peninsula. Likewise, Sultan Bolkiah is also the ancestor of the Sulu Sultans in southern Philippines.

But us Visayans, lead by rulers such as Rajah Sri Lumay, an Indian-Malay Hindu who resisted Islamization and Datus such as the Animist Datu Pagbuaya Who survived the massacre by the Sultanate of Ternate of the Kedatuan of Dapitan, were fiercely anti-Islamic.

It's us who eventually got Christianized by the Mexicans and Spanish and had allied with them in invading Islamic Manila (Prying Luzon away from Brunei) and colonizing Muslim Mindanao.

Sent from my CHM-U01 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Visayan (Filipino)
    Country
    Philippines
    Y-DNA
    The largest BBC in the TA but you can't suck it because I made a vow of celibacy. Chastity is sexy!
    Politics
    Righteous
    Hero
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Repentant of my former man-whoreness. But you like it if naughty?! Ooh let me spank you my sinner!
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by StonyArabia View Post
    Pretty cool. Yes the Arabs seem to have originated around the Jordan region. Also Arab in it's origin means "nomad" and in Hebrew it means "mixed" or to be dark, referring probably to their dark skin/ brown reddish color and mixed due to many have assimilated into the Arab/Arabian ethnos. However the people in the Arabian peninsula did speak various dialects of North Arabic, well those in the South spoke South Arabian or South Semitic languages. Interestingly enough some South Arabian groups like the Ghassanid and Lakhmid had switched from South Arabian to North Arabian, which was taking place. What really made North Arabic conducive to be adopted as lingua franca, was that Aramaic was very close to Northern Arabic, and not mention the political and cultural importance of the Nabateans whose influence extended from the Southern Levant and northernwest parts of Arabia as far as Western Iraq. The Nabateans were an Arabian people who had adopted Aramaic, as they were not of Aramean stock, but their Aramaic had strong Northern Arabic components that it rendered it to not be mutually intelligible with other Aramaic dialects. Also the term was wrongly used for any Aramaic speaker at the time. The influence of the Nabateans weakens greatly due to the Byzantines and of course the incoming Ghassanids who had subdued them. The Byzantines also favored the Ghassanids over the Nabatean former elite, who were not loyal, and often revolted, and always rejected "Hellenization" and "Christianization". It's believed some pagan Nabatean cults existed in the Syrian Desert and western regions of Iraq as late as the 17th century A.D. Other Arabian tribes in the region especially the Desert frontiers had kept grudge against the Greco-Roman rulers, and thus their transition to Islam and beefing the Arabian armies is not even strange. This in particular true of the Kalbids who eventually intermarried with the Ummyads.

Well Arabs did not identify as ethnicity due to their many tribes, this would eventually change with the rise of Islam and the unification of the Arabian peninsula, and eventually the Arab identity will be formed. However this does not mean they never identified as such. As we find the term Arab among many of them, but solid ethnic identity was not used, because the Arabian tribes in a way were their "nations", but most tribes have intermingled so much so, that they are all Arabs today.
    So the ethnoterm, "Arab", is just an exonym that originated among Greco-Romans that was appropriated by the native Arabs themselves in their wars against the Romans and Persians?

Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 12:43 AM
    Ethnicity
    Metwali
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 721
    Given: 746

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
    Are Yemenis part of the original group of Arabs or are they just Arabized?

Most of our former Sultans here in the Philippines claim descent from Yemen. Rajah Suleiman of Manila, a puppet rajah installed by Brunei (Who supplanted a local ruler, the Lakan of Tondo) had Sultan Bolkiah of Brunei as an ancestor, who in turn claim ancestry from Yemenese Arabs and these Yemenis are our links to the Arabian peninsula. Likewise, Sultan Bolkiah is also the ancestor of the Sulu Sultans in southern Philippines.

But us Visayans, lead by rulers such as Rajah Sri Lumay, an Indian-Malay Hindu who resisted Islamization and Datus such as the Animist Datu Pagbuaya Who survived the massacre by the Sultanate of Ternate of the Kedatuan of Dapitan, were fiercely anti-Islamic.

It's us who eventually got Christianized by the Mexicans and Spanish and had allied with them in invading Islamic Manila (Prying Luzon away from Brunei) and colonizing Muslim Mindanao.

Yemenis were originally Arabian, but not Arabs. Arabian as in they are located in the Arabian peninsula, but their original languages were classified as South Semitic, being more related to the Semitic languages spoken in Ethiopia. But I think most of them were already Arabized by the first century.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Visayan (Filipino)
    Country
    Philippines
    Y-DNA
    Politics
    Righteous
    Hero
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Haider View Post
    Yemenis were originally Arabian, but not Arabs. Arabian as in they are located in the Arabian peninsula, but their original languages were classified as South Semitic, being more related to the Semitic languages spoken in Ethiopia. But I think most of them were already Arabized by the first century.
    Thanks for the info. I heard that there's a war in Yemen right now though. And the Yemenis were quite troublemakers in the past. When the Sultanate of Aceh, in Sumatra, became a vassal of the Ottoman Caliphate and had asked Ottoman help against the Iberians who had conquered Malacca and the Philippines, the Ottomans had to divert their expeditionary force that was intended to aid Aceh because they were sidetracked by a rebellion from Yemen LOLS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoma...dition_to_Aceh

Banned
    Last Online
    01-06-2021 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,829
    Given: 24,541

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
    So the ethnoterm, "Arab", is just an exonym that originated among Greco-Romans that was appropriated by the native Arabs themselves in their wars against the Romans and Persians?

No. It's just that the Greeks mislabeled the entire peninsula as "Arabia" even though Arabs originated between NW Arabia and Southern Levant which was the original Arabia. Arabs had been in existence for over 3,000 years and it was originated as a self identification of these nomadic Semites.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information