View Poll Results: Would you consume lab grown meat?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would.

2 28.57%
  • Never!

3 42.86%
  • I'm for lab grown meat, but I'd wait a while before I tried it.

2 28.57%

Thread: Burgers grown in a lab are heading to your plate. Will you bite?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    06-24-2023 @ 12:43 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance, Germanic
    Ethnicity
    British-Iberian
    Ancestry
    Home Counties of England, Northern Iberia, Southern Brazil
    Country
    Brazil
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,398
    Given: 1,472

0 Not allowed!

Default Burgers grown in a lab are heading to your plate. Will you bite?

It’s been a busy summer for food-based biotech. The Food and Drug Administration made headlines when it approved the plant-based “Impossible Burger,” which relies on an ingredient from genetically modified yeast for its meaty taste. The European Union sparked controversy by extending heavy restrictions on genetically modified organisms by classifying them as gene-edited crops.

You probably heard less about a public meeting hosted by the FDA on “cultured meat” — meats that don’t come directly from animals but instead from cell cultures. Lab-grown meats will be increasingly big news as they draw closer to entering the marketplace. But research suggests that consumers may not readily accept the idea of burgers sourced from a lab instead of a farm. Would you?

Opinion polls seem to indicate that public attitudes about cultured meat are all over the place, depending on who’s asking and who’s being asked. Overlooking the details may spell trouble for its acceptance in the United States and internationally.

This emerging biotechnology captured attention in 2013 with a live tasting of a lab-grown burger that had a $330,000 price tag. Production has gone largely under the radar since then, but researchers and companies have been racing to lower the price and, they say, are finally on the cusp of an affordable product.

Production of cell-cultured meat involves retrieving a live animal’s adult muscle stem cells and setting them in a nutrient-rich liquid. Proponents claim future techniques could allow these cells to make many burgers without collecting more cells from an animal. Groups of these multiplying cells eventually look like patties or nuggets because they grow around a “scaffold,” which helps the meat take on a desired shape. The result is a product that looks and tastes like meat because it’s made from animal cells, rather than plant-based products that lack animal tissue but try to look and taste like it.

Because cultured meat doesn’t involve livestock and thus avoids the associated environmental impacts and ethical issues, it’s been highly anticipated by environmental groups, animal welfare advocates and some health-conscious consumers. Producing cultured meat, it’s claimed, could consume fewer natural resources, avoid slaughter and remove the need for the growth hormones used in the traditional meat industry.

Before cell-cultured meat goes on the market, regulators need to decide what it can be called. Possible names include “clean meat,” “in vitro meat,” “artificial meat” and even “alt-meat.”

But opinions and critiques vary widely. Most notably, the United States Cattlemen’s Association worries that the term “meat” will confuse consumers since these products will directly compete with traditional farm-raised meat. The industry group prefers what are perhaps less-appetizing terms, like “cultured tissue.”

Jumping onto the “clean eating” craze, the Good Food Institute — a nonprofit that promotes alternatives to animal products — favors the term “clean meat,” claiming the language evokes a positive image with consumers and may increase its acceptance.

Consumers Union — the advocacy arm of the magazine Consumer Reports — counters that the public wants to know how the product was made, requiring a more-visible distinction from farm-raised meat.

Meanwhile, the American Meat Science Association — an organization focused on the science of producing and processing animal-based meat — worries that the term “meat” may inaccurately suggest that lab-grown protein is as safe and nutritious as traditional meat.

This summer’s FDA meeting sparked even more discussion over labeling. The debate is reminiscent of the one over what to call nondairy beverages, such as almond and soy “milk,” that do not originate from an animal.

Yet even as regulators and industry lobbyists spar over names, they are overlooking a far more important factor in the viability of lab-grown meat: consumers.

In Michigan State University’s Food Literacy and Engagement Poll, we surveyed over 2,100 Americans in 2018, asking, “How likely would you be to purchase foods that look and taste identical to meat but are based on ingredients that are produced artificially?” We intentionally didn’t use terms such as “cultured meat” and “lab-grown meat” to avoid influencing the response based on a particular term.

We found just one-third of Americans would be likely to purchase cultured meat, with the other two-thirds veering toward caution. Forty-eight percent told us they’d be unlikely to buy this product. The question did not provide much detail about cell-cultured meats, so our results represent a general reaction to the idea of purchasing “traditional” vs. “artificial” meat.

When we split the poll results out by income, participants in households earning over $75,000 per year were nearly twice as likely to say they’d purchase cultured meat (47 percent), compared with those in households earning less than $25,000 per year (26 percent). It seems that the more people earn, the more likely they are to switch from being undecided about cultured meat to being willing to give it a try. But the proportion who said they were unlikely to try cultured meat didn’t vary much at all as income rose.

A more striking difference was seen with the poll participant’s age. Eighteen-to-29-year-olds were nearly five times as likely (51 percent) to say they’d purchase cultured meat products than were those 55 and older (only 11 percent). And college graduates were substantially more likely to say they’d purchase cultured meat products (44 percent) compared with non-college graduates (24 percent).

We also found that 43 percent of men said they’d probably try artificial meats, but just 24 percent of women did — a gender difference that was also seen in a separate 2007 study. Notably, the same study also found that politically liberal respondents are more likely to eat cultured meat than their more conservative counterparts.

Consumer behavior is often more complex than a single, aggregate snapshot of the entire population can convey. While many people could respond differently at the grocery store than in an online poll about a product that’s not yet on the market, our findings and others suggest that attitudes related to cultured meat — however it ends up being labeled — are complicated and probably influenced by one’s values and experiences.

Cultured meat may have environmental and ethical appeal, but its success in the marketplace depends on far more than technological and economic viability. Regulators and producers will need to consider the wide spectrum of opinions and attitudes held by consumers if the benefits of this technology are to be widely enjoyed.
    Would you buy lab grown meat off the shelves?

I'm for 'artificial meat' but I'd wait it out for a while, let the first waves of buyers experiment with it first whilst I do some research on it.

Ülev

0 Not allowed!

never, but Bon appetit to others

Banned
    Last Online
    11-04-2018 @ 05:43 PM
    Ethnicity
    Cuban
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Florida
    Hero
    Tony Montana
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,295
    Given: 26,310

0 Not allowed!

Sure why not?

Malarxist-Bidenist
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2022 @ 06:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European-American
    Ancestry
    Great Britain (early 17th c.), Ireland (19th c.), Elsaß Germany (19th c.)
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Illinois
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Atlantic
    Politics
    Wählt Sozialdemokratisch! 🌹
    Hero
    Aldous Huxley
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta (शाक्तं)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,782
    Given: 5,353

2 Not allowed!

I look forward to the day that this becomes the norm. No more needless suffering for millions of animals in industrial factory farms. Of course, there will be resistance to this from the meat industry as it puts profits above ethics.

Only butthurted clowns minuses my posts. -- Лиссиы

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Melkite
    Ethnicity
    Lebanese
    Ancestry
    Zahlé
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    L-M349
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Hero
    Steve Jobs
    Religion
    Believer of God
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,769
    Given: 2,895

1 Not allowed!

I like the idea honestly.

I am a meat eater myself, but I also think most farm land can be used to fill up homes for our ever growing world population.

Resident Gadfly
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,095
    Given: 24,273

1 Not allowed!

Artificial meat would not taste good. In fact it likely would not at all taste edible, because it will lack subtle chemicals that are normally taken in and/or metabolised by the animal from what it feeds on, drinks, breathes, etc. Bitter tastes are inherently rejected by the human palette without an acquired taste because it's an instinctive way to reject the taste of poison in nature.

Lab grown food is literal class warfare, the normalisation of lowering standards under faulty pretenses so people can be socially engineered to give up resources they already have access to. It's artificial and is missing tonnes of naturally occuring enzymes and nutrients as well as fat soluble vitamins that would be found in an actual animal who grazed or digested food and had natural metabolic processes.

They are no where near anything viable in terms of a real technology. At the moment a lab grown burger costs thousands, but in a few decades it will be cheaper than meat by far, since meat requires shit loads of resources to produce.

However, artificial meat is the way to go for processed meat products such as hot dogs, hamburgers, and chicken nuggets. Such a change would greatly benefit the environment. Although, I would never choose to eat a lab grown steak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    We GrecoRomansIberians once did the mistake of civilizing these cave-dwellers ,I suggest we make an alliance with muslims to accelerate their takeover
    Quote Originally Posted by renaissance12 View Post
    Scandinavia is not Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
    It's OK to date girls 16+ they are not children remember the old song 'sweet sixteen'
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    Whites are often jealous of Blacks for their athleticism, creative talent and sexual prowess.

Thread Information