Hero
    Gjergj Kastrioti-Skanderbeg, Alexander the Great, Isa Boletini
    Religion
    Albanianism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,495
    Given: 3,850

2 Not allowed!

Iirc the Albanians of Romania were sent there as soldiers or mercenaries. This sword dance is still practiced among Albanians
    23andme: 100% Balkan https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...3andme-results

MyOrigins 2.0: 100% Southeast Europe

Geneplaza K25: 100% Greek-Albanian

Eurogenes K36 oracle: 50.64% Albania_North+ 49.36% Kosovo. Population distance: 1) 1.27 Northern Albania&Kosovo

Ydna: J1-ZS241

Maternal Ydna: E-V13>CTS5856*

The Albanians, these tigers of mountain wars ... have as their religion rebellion. Even their worst warrior is one of the strongest and bravest on the battle-field, just as if he was a knight on the legendary horse. But he has no horse, nor proper weapons for battle. Instead of the horse, he has a lance which strikes as lightning, he has spears who's points are full of posion as the sting of hornets, he has also a wooden bow with some arrows. Furthermore, he is stronger than iron ...

- Ibn Kemal, Historian of the Turkish court during Skanderbeg's war against the Turks.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Macedonian
    Country
    Macedonia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,998
    Given: 1,604

1 Not allowed!

Update:

I think I might have found the origin and the etymology of the word Rusalia, while watching a video of an Aromanian folk song:

From 5:30 of the song, you can see the word 'Rusalia' which is translated to Greek as Pentikosti/Πεντηκοστη!

I don't know what 'Rusalia' means in Aromanian since I don't speak the language but I've found a translation for the Greek word 'Πεντηκοστη', and according to https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%CF%8...83%CF%84%CE%AE, it means 'Fifty'.

But, what is most important is the name 'Pentecost' - From the feast called Shavuot, which means "Festival of Weeks" and is the "fiftieth day" after Passover - https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Pentecost.

So, the word 'Rusalia' is just an Aromanian translation of the Greek word 'Pentikosti/Πεντηκοστη'!

Banned
    Last Online
    04-10-2021 @ 08:05 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,951
    Given: 5,520

1 Not allowed!

Rusallias, in Serbian Rusalje, were Vlach's women from eastern Serbia who were believed to have power to see future, and to speak with dead ancestors, falling in some kind of trance during traditional ritual.

This is video from 1971 year about them.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Macedonian
    Country
    Macedonia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Moje ime View Post
    Rusallias, in Serbian Rusalje, were Vlach's women from eastern Serbia who were believed to have power to see future, falling in some kind of trance during traditional ritual.

This is video from 1971 year about them.

Really nice, I can see now how the dots get connected.

It must be Eastern - Central Balkan, Thracian legacy I think!
    Last edited by Aspar; 10-03-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aspar View Post
    Really nice, I can see now how the dots get connected.

Vlachs have left big cultural mark on our people and traditions, and not only cultural but genetic mark as well!

It must be Eastern Balkan, Thracian legacy I think!
    Rusalke are known in Slavic mitology too as a female creatures that live in woods or rivers. Now I'm not sure what is first origin of this. Serbian mitology has similar female creature called "vila".

But that can mean Thracians had connections with Slavs for long time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusalka

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Macedonian
    Country
    Macedonia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Moje ime View Post
    Rusalke are known in Slavic mitology too as a female creatures that live in woods or rivers. Now I'm not sure what is first origin of this. Serbian mitology has similar female creature called "vila".

But that can mean Thracians had connections with Slavs for long time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusalka
    Ofc, there was a connection between the two people!

The Dacians who were of Thracian origin were neighbors of the Slavs and surely there was a lot of contact among them both!

Or it can be just shared mythology between the two people, since both of them were Indo-Europeans!

Also, many Thracian words were similar to Balto-Slavic ones and that deepens the connection even further more.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Macedonian
    Country
    Macedonia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Update:

I think I might have found the origin and the etymology of the word Rusalia, while watching a video of an Aromanian folk song:

From 5:30 of the song, you can see the word 'Rusalia' which is translated to Greek as Pentikosti/Πεντηκοστη!

I don't know what 'Rusalia' means in Aromanian since I don't speak the language but I've found a translation for the Greek word 'Πεντηκοστη', and according to https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%CF%8...83%CF%84%CE%AE, it means 'Fifty'.

But, what is most important is the name 'Pentecost' - From the feast called Shavuot, which means "Festival of Weeks" and is the "fiftieth day" after Passover - https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Pentecost.

So, the word 'Rusalia' is just an Aromanian translation of the Greek word 'Pentikosti/Πεντηκοστη'!
    What is intriguing about this is that the Greek Pentecost is celebrated around Easter, while the Rusalia event happens around Christmas!

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

It's interesting that Rusalka, mythological Slavic creature, was presented as a young female with long red hair.
    Rusalke were known as mostly evil creatures who like to drown men in water although in Serbian folklore, similar creatures named Vila/e could
    sometimes be helpful to certain people. (here I refer to Serbian folk songs about Marko Kraljevic and his female friend Vila Ravijojla.
    Interesting that according to these folk songs she was living in eastern Serbia mountain - Miroč mountain. )

Now as I understand, those Vlach women were believe to actually "communicate" with those mythological female creatures refering to them as their
    sisters.

Also interesting is that in Serbia there was old believe that it is dangerous to go near water during night, probably because of
    these stories.
    Last edited by Moje ime; 10-03-2018 at 02:02 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-26-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Various Cruise ships, Also Agio Pnevma, Serres, Macedonia, Greece.
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    Greek with a whiff of Bulgarian
    Country
    Greece
    Taxonomy
    A typical Balkan bastard
    Politics
    Strictly Rational.
    Hero
    Θαλής ο Μιλήσιος
    Religion
    Freedom with responsibitities.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,566
    Given: 4,506

0 Not allowed!

Update:

Nope. I still believe that Rusalia comes from Rusalka.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusalka

In Slavic folklore, the rusalka (plural rusalki) (Russian: руса́лка, translit. rusálka; Polish: rusałka) is a female entity, often malicious toward humankind and frequently associated with water. Folklorists have proposed a variety of origins for the entity, including that they may originally stem from Slavic paganism, where they may have been seen as benevolent spirits. Rusalki appear in a variety of media in modern popular culture, particularly in Slavic language-speaking countries, where they frequently resemble the concept of the mermaid.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Macedonian
    Country
    Macedonia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Petros Houhoulis View Post
    Nope. I still believe that Rusalia comes from Rusalka.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusalka
    Doesn't make sense as the Slavs didn't have a warrior dance...
    Thracians who were warlike people did, and 'Rusalia' and 'Rusalka' is not the same, especially since the Vlachs of Meglen also call this dance 'Rusalia'.
    Rusalka on the other hand is some dance in which only women called samodivas participate in it, while making moves as if they are in some trans...
    As I already explained, 'Rusalia' dance is shared with the Albanians and the Romanians who are not Slavic people.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information