Politics
    Huh?
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Anglesey hotel bans kitchen staff from speaking Welsh

If you can't speak Welsh in Wales, where the fuck can you speak it?

------------------------------------------

Staff at an Anglesey hotel have been banned by managers from speaking Welsh when the head chef is in the kitchen.

The Carreg Mon near Llanfairpwll asked employees not to use Welsh because he does not speak the language and is responsible for health and safety.

The Welsh Language Board (WLB) is to write to the hotel and wants a meeting with the managers.

General manager Ruth Hogan insisted the hotel was not discriminating against the language.

Of its 25 staff, only three are non-Welsh speaking.

"If anything we encourage the Welsh language to be spoken here. There is absolutely no discrimination against the Welsh or English language here, it's only about safety standards."

A WLB spokesperson said: "With more than 60% of the island's population speaking the language, a figure which rises to 87% in some communities, Anglesey is one of the strongholds of the Welsh language

"It is therefore a shock and a great disappointment that an employer on the island takes this stance against the language."

The WLB added: "This could be a matter the Equalities and Human Rights Commission may want to take up. Under current legislation, the Welsh Language Board's powers do not cover such instances.

"But it is a clear example why protecting people's freedom to speak Welsh at the workplace has been included in the new Welsh language legislation, which will come to force next year."

Link

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,948
    Given: 45,034

0 Not allowed!

Boycott the hotel all the way into bankruptcy!
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

NO! Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Feline
    Ethnicity
    Snowshoe
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    I voted once, it was horrible
    Religion
    All my 9 lives are devoid of meaning
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103

0 Not allowed!

Some employers in Canada ban employees from speaking French at work. One of my old ones was like that, I won't mention the name but actually Duceppe named said company in the political leaders' debate for not being accommodating in Quebec. This was in NS, and it was a separatist who said it, but I actually thought of dropping an e-mail to M. Duceppe to tell him his suspicions can be confirmed.

When I was reprimanded for doing so, I was told it was because it made unilingual workers feel uneasy, like we were talking shit about them, and told me about some Israelis speaking Hebrew and an Israeli immigrant worker overheard them doing that. I was actually dealing with a customer who couldn't speak English well when I was "caught".

Last Online
    07-18-2017 @ 02:37 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Ancestry
    Slavic, Thracian
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Nordid
    Politics
    Eurocentrism, Human rights, Anti-Putinism
    Hero
    The Mother Goddess
    Religion
    Eclectic Paganism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 799
    Given: 1,158

0 Not allowed!

You have so beautiful language... really, where you will speak it if not in Wales?
    До твоя олтар утъпкана пътека води...

Let virtue distinguish the brave

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    11-28-2011 @ 12:53 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

0 Not allowed!

This will slip by, but let them try to ban speaking Arabic, Farsi or Urdu and watch the riots and protests explode across the streets of Britain.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85

0 Not allowed!

I can see the resentment here, but why would the Head Chef, the man who runs the kitchen, want to spend his whole shift amongst people talking a language they are not conversed in and feels alienated by in his own workplace?

If I ran a business and was paying the Head Chef a lot of money to make my business make a lot of money, then out would go the dissenters and in would come those who wish to earn a bob or two.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-28-2012 @ 04:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Lancashire, Bernicia, Munster, Mercia etc.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Devon
    Taxonomy
    Manchester Man
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by The Crow View Post
    I can see the resentment here, but why would the Head Chef, the man who runs the kitchen, want to spend his whole shift amongst people talking a language they are not conversed in and feels alienated by in his own workplace?
    I went and got a job in a place where I spent my whole day amongst people talking a language I wasn't fluent in, in a country where English was not the first language. Hey presto, I LEARNT the language. If this feller lives on Anglesey, he should learn. What is he? Thick or summat? Fucking ideal place to learn such an interesting language as Welsh.
    If I ran a business and was paying the Head Chef a lot of money to make my business make a lot of money, then out would go the dissenters and in would come those who wish to earn a bob or two.
    What? Polacks!?

That's the mentality behind all demographic disasters in this country. Why wish it on the Welsh of Anglesey?

If you run a business in a place where a certain language is predominant, you need to bear this in mind when bringing in new managers, or else provide for their learning of it, or at least indicate to them that it is desirable they learn.

(Tref, beth yw yr enw pobol yn Mon? ((Ffwc grammar)) Moniau? Moniaeg? )
    Last edited by Osweo; 04-15-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Osweo View Post
    If this feller lives on Anglesey, he should learn. What is he? Thick or summat? Fucking ideal place to learn such an interesting language as Welsh.
    The last time I checked Anglesey was in Great Britain. The language spoken in this state is English.

Either the Head Chef is discriminated against as a citizen in his own state or the people working in the hotel adhere to the 'law' of the state.

If you run a business in a place* where a certain language is predominant, you need to bear this in mind when bringing in new managers
    * WANTED: a head chef to run the kitchens of an up and coming hotel situated in Anglesey, UK. Must have previous experience. A selection of self prepared menus and references are a must. £30 PA.

We live in Britain. We are British. British speak English. We must never deviate from the state.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-28-2012 @ 04:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Lancashire, Bernicia, Munster, Mercia etc.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Devon
    Taxonomy
    Manchester Man
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118

0 Not allowed!

I'll reply to this for the benefit of those who don't realise you're doing statist role-play and Tanzen mit Totalitarianismus today.

The last time I checked Anglesey was in Great Britain. The language spoken in this state is English.
    Great Britain is an island, and home to several nations with several languages. English is the language of state, due to demographic reasons, but a restaurant on a near monoglot Welsh island is not the House of Commons...
    Either the Head Chef is discriminated against as a citizen in his own state or the people working in the hotel adhere to the 'law' of the state.
    Devil take the 'law' of an anti-national state!

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Region
    Pembrokeshire
    Politics
    Huh?
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100

0 Not allowed!

Tough shit for him. He should learn the language.

It sounds like the head chef is a prima donna who feels paranoid that people may be chatting about him.

What this hotel has done is discriminate the native language speakers in their homeland.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information