Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did Russia really manage to keep its present-day "Empire" of around 186 ethnic groups together?

Caveat Emptor

1 Not allowed!

Default How did Russia really manage to keep its present-day "Empire" of around 186 ethnic groups together?

Recently I've found out that USSR was the most multicultural state on earth back when it existed. Now Russia still has lots of different ethnic groups, approximately 186 according to Wikipedia.

How did the Russians manage to keep such a gigantic, diverse state together?

Banned
    Last Online
    04-15-2019 @ 10:26 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    indo-uralopean
    Ethnicity
    indo-uralopean
    Country
    Bermuda
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 299
    Given: 125

2 Not allowed!

By blood, genocide and assimilation. 95% of Russia is not Russian lands.

Last Online
    03-16-2024 @ 12:08 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    France
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,747
    Given: 8,712

0 Not allowed!

Ethnic russians compose the huge majority of the population. They have the numbers with them. And they acheived to assimilate other close populations like ukrainians, bielorussians, some finish like population.

The other ethnic group aren't enough big and they aren't the majority on their territory to acheive to take their independance.

Chechenian were close to get it, but they gett a "better deal" to stay inside the federation.

Caveat Emptor

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by indo-uralopean View Post
    By blood, genocide and assimilation. 95% of Russia is not Russian lands.
    The Russia proper, I believe, is the Novgorod land and Muscovy in Eastern Europe. The rest is really the "Empire" and it's fascinating that such an immense AND full of natural resources land is kept together by the Russians, when there are so many different ethnic groups native to the regions. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it's just really interesting.

It's nice to see an Indo-Uralic perspective on this. Do you feel a strong connection to with the entirety of Russia?

Quote Originally Posted by Jehan View Post
    Ethnic russians compose the huge majority of the population. They have the numbers with them. And they acheived to assimilate other close populations like ukrainians, bielorussians, some finish like population.

The other ethnic group aren't enough big and they aren't the majority on their territory to acheive to take their independance.

Chechenian were close to get it, but they gett a "better deal" to stay inside the federation.
    Truth be told, if I was a leader of Russia I would simply led them go and make a friendly deal with independent Chechnya. Why? Well, Russia certainly doesn't need more land or natural resources, but rather more security and economic development of what they already have. What do you think?

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    France
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emptor View Post
    Truth be told, if I was a leader of Russia I would simply led them go and make a friendly deal with independent Chechnya. Why? Well, Russia certainly doesn't need more land or natural resources, but rather more security and economic development of what they already have. What do you think?

I would do the same.
    But the risk might be a domino effect and all ethnic asking for independance.
    I'am not sur at 100% But It seems to me that many oil and gaz field own by russia are in some non ethnic russian territory.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-07-2021 @ 11:31 AM
    Ethnicity
    Zeta Reticulan
    Country
    Antarctica
    Politics
    Copernican Principle
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,346
    Given: 1,328

0 Not allowed!

How did the Russians manage to keep such a gigantic, diverse state together?
    By not dictating the way of life for those other (culturally non-Slavic) ethnicities, unlike all the Western empires.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    ✨👽✨
    Ancestry
    Preußisches Sachsen, Hessen, Bayern, Gloucestershire, Somerset, Yorkshire, Kent, Catalonia, Menorca
    Country
    Malta
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,844
    Given: 786

1 Not allowed!

Strong central government and distant towns being dependent on support from it

Caveat Emptor

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by pulstar View Post
    By not dictating the way of life for those other (culturally non-Slavic) ethnicities, unlike all the Western empires.
    Interesting. So you would say that the key to success way social and regional autonomy?

Banned
    Last Online
    01-07-2021 @ 11:31 AM
    Ethnicity
    Zeta Reticulan
    Country
    Antarctica
    Politics
    Copernican Principle
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,346
    Given: 1,328

0 Not allowed!

Interesting. So you would say that the key to success way social and regional autonomy?
    Yes. In a way to keep the peace and satisfaction is like keeping the equllibrium in oscillating (dynamic) system, a spring lets say. If you try to compress it, it will resist. The same with forceful changes in a way of living. Russians simply know that and don't try to influence those ethnicities.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    France
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by pulstar View Post

Why do you think that?

Seems that the situation have been differents during the history and for the different ethnicitys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information