Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,205
    Given: 43,742

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellbeaking View Post
    Sorry, I forgot about this comment.

I don't feel much deep connection with English but I would be offended if either of those where to happen, either suggesting those examples are not definitive proof that one cares about their language or that sub-consciously I do care about English as a facet of my national identity more than I realize. In the first case I feel it would strip my country of recognition and attention it deserves like it would make the country less relevant, English being spoken across the world is a trophy of colonial and historical achievement to some extent. Having it's name stamped on the worlds largest language seems like a bad thing to loose, it's like a perpetual advertisement. As for the second example I think it would be a little rude if they didn't speak our language, not speaking how we speak in our own country is an inconvenience to us irrespective of what that language is. Although I would have to agree that the English language is part of the package of Englishness, as demonstrated by the fact that Americans (who are usually more conservative) are not as anal about people speaking it in their country, so yes I agree with you, but still think that pride in our language is not a feature of English culture, unlike the French though such 'pride' may emerge when it's 'attacked' as per your examples.
    You're half-English half-Greek, aren't you?

Human Resources Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-21-2024 @ 10:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Euromutt
    Ethnicity
    White
    Country
    European Union
    Taxonomy
    WHG
    Politics
    Right (as in correct)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,473
    Given: 10,006

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    You're half-English half-Greek, aren't you?
    i do identify as english, though don't have ancestry here, my ancestry in my side profile is accurate as is my location

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 08:08 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

i do identify as english, though don't have ancestry here, my ancestry in my side profile is accurate as is my location
    OK. Regarding what I said above: it is funny how, between English people and Americans, it is the latter who are stereotyped as being the uncultured and chauvinistic ones. As someone who grew up in Leicester, I have to say it was very unusual in most parts of the city to see multilingual signs and information, regardless of the demographics. The first secondary school I attended, Judgemeadow Community College, was seen as a pioneer just for offering Punjabi and Gujarati lessons (I didn't take them btw, but there were a very small number of White pupils who did). And even in London, you might get the odd museum or tour bus with multilingual info, and the Underground stations usually offer ticket facilities in multiple languages, but other than that English still has very little competition at official and semi-official level. Certainly, the culture of bilingualism (and to an extent multilingualism) prevalent in a number of US cities - not just in terms of signs and information, but even with the presence of bilingual schools - would be pretty unthinkable in England even in the most immigrant-heavy places.

Human Resources Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-21-2024 @ 10:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Euromutt
    Ethnicity
    White
    Country
    European Union
    Taxonomy
    WHG
    Politics
    Right (as in correct)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,473
    Given: 10,006

0 Not allowed!

OK. Regarding what I said above: it is funny how, between English people and Americans, it is the latter who are stereotyped as being the uncultured and chauvinistic ones. As someone who grew up in Leicester, I have to say it was very unusual in most parts of the city to see multilingual signs and information, regardless of the demographics. The first secondary school I attended, Judgemeadow Community College, was seen as a pioneer just for offering Punjabi and Gujarati lessons (I didn't take them btw, but there were a very small number of White pupils who did). And even in London, you might get the odd museum or tour bus with multilingual info, and the Underground stations usually offer ticket facilities in multiple languages, but other than that English still has very little competition at official and semi-official level. Certainly, the culture of bilingualism (and to an extent multilingualism) prevalent in a number of US cities - not just in terms of signs and information, but even with the presence of bilingual schools - would be pretty unthinkable in England even in the most immigrant-heavy places.
    Yep. This would be a suprise to many Americans I speak to who think there are entire areas that only speak arabic.

The absence of a culture of bilingualism is extremely unfortunate, It's something that you could learn in school that would be useful and enjoyable throughout your life. Increasingly research suggest Schooling in generally does not mattering that much and you reach a point of diminishing returns quite quickly in regards to maximing intelligence, work ethic, adult job performance and even long term general knowledge. i.e. if you only went in twice a week for the first 15 years of your life it wouldn't effect adult IQ or job performance long term one bit. Learning a language seems like a great use of otherwise wasted time.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Yep. This would be a surprise to many Americans I speak to who think there are entire areas that only speak Arabic.
    LOL maybe in the banlieues of France, not Britain.

The absence of a culture of bilingualism is extremely unfortunate, It's something that you could learn in school that would be useful and enjoyable throughout your life. Increasingly research suggest Schooling in generally does not mattering that much and you reach a point of diminishing returns quite quickly in regards to maximing intelligence, work ethic, adult job performance and even long term general knowledge. i.e. if you only went in twice a week for the first 15 years of your life it wouldn't effect adult IQ or job performance long term one bit. Learning a language seems like a great use of otherwise wasted time.
    Well I live in Wales, and although there are bilingual signs and info in many places, the attitude of many people in South Wales towards the Welsh language is pretty passive and indifferent. Only when I cross the Loughor bridge do I regularly hear it being spoken, and Welsh signs even start to be printed above English ones.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

(7) Many English people on the Left and even some on the Right accuse Americans of things the English themselves are as or more guilty of - chauvinism, lack of culture, racism, imperialism, favouring under-regulated capitalism etc. (True, anti-Americanism is less prevalent in England than in many other European countries, but it is still a significant if largely unspoken force).

Johannes factotum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    07-26-2023 @ 01:37 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Ethnicity
    440/512 Ashkenazi, 41/512 Sephardic, 31/512 Musta'arabi, minor English, Portuguese & Spanish
    Ancestry
    67% Middle Eastern Neolithic, 20% European Mesolithic, 10% Eurasian Invasion, 2% Siberian, 1% Africa
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    E-FT333743
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1a
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med
    Politics
    Campanilismo
    Hero
    Bartolomé de las Casas
    Religion
    Awaiting the return of King Arthur
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37,278
    Given: 39,691

0 Not allowed!

(7) Many English people on the Left and even some on the Right accuse Americans of things the English themselves are as or more guilty of - chauvinism, lack of culture, racism, imperialism, favouring under-regulated capitalism etc. (True, anti-Americanism is less prevalent in England than in many other European countries, but it is still a significant if largely unspoken force).
    Strong disagree, betrays a degree of ignorance about America or a degree of Anglophobia.
    Who is rich? He who is happy with what he has - Simeon ben Zoma, Ethics of the Fathers, Talmud, Avot 4:1

Quote Originally Posted by zhaoyun View Post
    I'll say this once and I don't expect you to ever have me fucking repeat this again.

Longbowman isn't just a member, he's a lifestyle.
    I live here. I also live here.

Europeans worldwide * Longbowman's family on 23andme * Classify Longbowman * Ask Longbowman anything

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Longbowman View Post
    Strong disagree, betrays a degree of ignorance about America or a degree of Anglophobia.
    Anti-Americanism is objectionable much of the time full stop, but from the English in particular it comes across as a form of pathological projection. As a pro-Remain person, nevertheless I cannot deny that some Remainers are pro-EU largely because they see it as a bastion against American values, power and culture.

Last Online
    11-05-2023 @ 04:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Brabant, Holland, Guelders and some Hainaut.
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Norway Deal-NEXIT, Dutch Realm Atlanticist, Habsburg Legitimist
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34,729
    Given: 61,129

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mopi View Post
    main fault about england is that it has very poor public infrastructure for a western European country....roads have pot holes everywhere, NHS hospitals almost are 3rd world, public transport is terrible and overpriced
    Those (almost unannounced) motorway exits have given me near-heart attacks on more than one occasion.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lawspeaker View Post
    Those (almost unannounced) motorway exits have given me near-heart attacks on more than one occasion.
    Yeah our roads (even the motorways) are narrow, antiquated and excessively prone to congestion compared to many other countries.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread Information